Pro Wrestling Only

My World : Jeff Jarrett's podcast

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really struggled to get through this week's episode about Ric Flair. It was basically a two hour commercial for Ric Flair's Last Match, with Jarrett and Conrad sticking to kayfabe. I like Jarrett as a promo, but I don't want to sit through an entire episode of his show where he is just in working mode. It was exhausting. I don't listen to wrestling podcasts to be worked.

3 hours ago, cactus said:

I really struggled to get through this week's episode about Ric Flair. It was basically a two hour commercial for Ric Flair's Last Match, with Jarrett and Conrad sticking to kayfabe. I like Jarrett as a promo, but I don't want to sit through an entire episode of his show where he is just in working mode. It was exhausting. I don't listen to wrestling podcasts to be worked.

My feelings exactly. The whole point of these podcasts is to talk about what was really happening behind the scenes, if you use them to try and work people, especially if it’s obvious, it pretty much defeats the entire purpose of the shows to begin with. It struck me as a ridiculously stupid idea.

I dug the intro, which was an extensive audio hype package for The Last Match.

When it came to the actual podcast and they continued to just act in character, yeah. I didn't make it past 5 minutes. I get wanting to promote the show, but this was a total waste. If they wanted Jarrett to stay in character for a couple of weeks due to the event, then they should've scheduled another TNA topic or something. Worst possible decision to talk about Flair in the middle of everything.

As good as Jarrett's pod can be sometimes, this is why Brisco and Bradshaw is the superior show. It's just fun stories and conversation. Again, i only listened to a few minutes, but that's all I could take with it sounding like a carnival barker hooting and hollering and pretending for five straight minutes.

Even Cornette ranting is irritating, but at least you know there's elements of truth and conviction there. This is pure bullshit that everyone knows is "hey let's pretend in our imaginations", and ugh. I don't get the appeal. With so many outlets and avenues to use, I don't know why they'd devote an entire episode to it also.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:54 AM, El-P said:

It was a terrible idea. The worst of it being Conrad "working". That was heavily cringe-inducing. He really came off like a money-mark during that podcast, living his own little pro-wrestling fantasy.

Totally agree. Conrad was a total goof and definitely should never imagine getting into an on-screen role in wrestling with his acting chops.

This week they continued, this time with equally unbelievable Paul, although it was probably better thanks to Jerry Jarrett coming on and talking about how Flair wasn't a draw. :lol:

I honestly think Jeff was passionate enough that this format could have been somewhat entertaining if he had someone who was a stronger actor and someone who actually knew anything about wrestling history opposing him and probably cut in half time-wise. As it was it just seems like Jeff going crazy against two guys trying not to laugh and just being giddy to be in on an angle.

Thank God this nonsense is ending Sunday and we can get back to normal next week.

• 1 month later...

After a string of super shitty shows trying to promote the JCP Flair farewell match, this podcast is really back on track and rolling strong again. Glad to hear it, because it truly ranks among the best wrestling podcasts out there when it's on target. It ain't Brisco and Bradshaw, but it ain't too far off.

In the SummerSlam 94 episode, there's some tremendous discussion around the Nash/Ospreay exchange. Without hyperbole, I honestly believe Jeff has one of the best takes on the whole deal. He weighs in on emotional resonance, crowd chants, star rankings, and the recent rise of performance art and happy "get-togetherness" of modern pro wrestling that I mostly can't stand. But it's damn good audio.

9 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

After a string of super shitty shows trying to promote the JCP Flair farewell match, this podcast is really back on track and rolling strong again. Glad to hear it, because it truly ranks among the best wrestling podcasts out there when it's on target. It ain't Brisco and Bradshaw, but it ain't too far off.

In the SummerSlam 94 episode, there's some tremendous discussion around the Nash/Ospreay exchange. Without hyperbole, I honestly believe Jeff has one of the best takes on the whole deal. He weighs in on emotional resonance, crowd chants, star rankings, and the recent rise of performance art and happy "get-togetherness" of modern pro wrestling that I mostly can't stand. But it's damn good audio.

That’s great to know, that his show is back on track. Especially since now that from a selfish standpoint, he is no longer working for WWE so we don’t have to worry about him toeing the company line like let’s say…Bruce.

There's something simultaneously off-putting and yet very astute about Jeff referring to wrestlers on a roster as "intellectual property" and investments.

IP, in particular, has supplanted "cache" and "episodic" in his vocabulary for the time being. It's like he hears a snazzy buzzword at some business seminar or something and overuses it for a few weeks before moving on.

Jarrett talking up his time in Mexico is the sort of thing that has helped to galvanize him as a genuine babyface with a large chunk of the modern audience now. Yes, he seems authentic in opening up about almost any subject, which certainly has helped. But, damn it, the dude just comes across as such a huge fan at heart.

• 3 months later...

The Dutch Mantell episode is worth it for the dutchisms only. 

Conrad had one of the worst take possible at the end of the episode though, when talking about the differences of mindset between Mantell and D'Amore, mentioning how D'Amore enjoyed more steak and less sizzle (while Mantell did not mind Memphis like bullshit) and giving the exemple of not doing stuff like Mickie James being murdered by being thrown under a train. Which happened when Mantell wasn't there anyway. And when it wasn't actually a murder. And while Eric Young just was murdered *last week* on IMPACT, as booked by D'Amore. 

Also, at one point, while defending Mantell as not being any kind of yes-man, there's a funny moment where Jarrett launched himself into the argument of Prichard not being a yes-man and after two or three sentences you can almost HEAR the lightbulb in his brain as his basically switching off the topic, as he just realized what he was saying wasn't making sense AT ALL. :D It all was invalidated anyway later when there was this quote from Jerry Jarrett to Dutch, as he told him pretty early in his stint that he could either "be right, or keep your job".

The TNA stuff is still endlessly fascinating to me. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, El-P said:

The fact the last podcast they did before Jerry passed away was about Jeff's formative years, and they addressed Jerry being ill with cancer, is quite something retrospectively. 

It REALLY is. Ric Flair said the Jerry he knew would have commanded Jeff to show up for work. 

Between that and Mark Briscoe's waking up and still feeding chickens on the farm. Human beings are really robust and remarkable. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...