Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #2: Jerry Lawler vs Ricky Morton

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

This is amazing.

Where did you get it?

Even though it is 7 minutes in total (last 5 minutes and then a nasty 1 minute post match beating after some mic work), I loved every second of this from Lawler knowing exactly how to get more and more vulnerable as Morton comes back so that when Ricky finally hits his thesz press and barrage of punches, the crowd is going ape shit. These two must have a full (or more complete match on tape somewhere) that hasn't been discovered yet.

Damn, the piledriver into the mounted punches has to be one of my favorite spots ever. I'm not sure anyone was ever as good at building up to a spot and making the crowd as responsive to it as possible as Lawer. Immensly fun match, I could probably sit down and watch it on repeat 5 to 10 times.

I really liked this quite a bit myself. Ricky Morton was extremely new to wrestling at this point, I believe in his first year. This match just shows that he was a natural, and is one of those guys who probably just walked in and got it right away. Lawler is great here also.

It's said for a lot of guys, but Morton is honestly one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, and I really think he's underrated even by most of the people who like him. We're talking about someone who should be discussed alongside guys like Barry Windham, Ricky Steamboat and Eddy Guerrero, but rarely is.

Wow, this is awesome. Morton is Morton, and Lawler shows just how good he was at selling even the most basic offense. Nice touch with Morton stealing Lawler's chain and attempting the middle rope fistdrop. Blatant fast count by Tommy Marlin for the finish, but the crowd goes batshit for it.