Pro Wrestling Only

Continental Championship Wrestling

GeneJackson95

Really enjoyed the first show!  Interesting to see a ref listen to someone for a change.

I thought the stipulations and result of the main event was really well done.  You hyped this one up with the possibilty of a title change but then left them out of the result which leaves us fans begging for more.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny and Davey could of used Tommy's help as Sugar and Jack get one over on them.

Highwaymen are taking Continental by storm.

It's cool that the NWA is giving the Jr. division a lot of attention.

I'm like Scarlet, always liked the Z-Man and was always a fan of Taylor, so it's great seeing them together and getting a nice push. 

Spoiler gets a big win over the world's strongest man. 

International House of Humperdink picks up another win. I love this faction. 

Money making southern main event. Cooley and Magnum send the fans home happy. Nice way out for Cooley and Olympia. 

Continental+Championship+Wrestling+logo.

Continental Championship Wrestling TV

Saturday July 24, 1986

Hosted by Gordon Solie

Ring Announcer: Freddie Miller

Interviewer: Joe Pedicino

From the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, Alabama

(The show opens with footage of Magnum T.A. nearly pinning Mr. Olympia for the Continental Championship until Ivan Koloff pulled out the referee followed by Nikita Koloff hitting the ring and attacking Magnum and ultimately hanging him over the top rope with his chain, it then cuts to Les Thatcher announcing to the live crowd that Magnum will be bringing in two mystery partners this week to take on Olympia and the Russians in a Six Man Tag Team Steel Cage Match then the opening montage rolls and we then go to our host Gordon Solie)

GordonCCW.jpg

Solie: "Hello and welcome once again to Continental Championship Wrestling, sanctioned by the National Wrestling Alliance, the oldest and largest sanctioning body in professional wrestling the world over. We've got a HUGE main event signed for you here tonight as "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley will defend the NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Championship against the man who defeated him last week in the 'bullwhip on a pole' match, "Outlaw" Ron Bass!"  What a week it's been here in Continental Championship Wrestling, you just saw what happened in the Continental Championship match last Monday night between the champion Mr. Olympia and the challenger Magnum T.A….We'll talk more about that situation later in the program but right now I'd like to bring out Les Thatcher to discuss the situation from last week with Tommy 'Wildfire' Rich and the Continental Tag Team titles."

LesThatcher1986.jpg

Les: "We've got a video from NWA President "Cowboy" Bill Watts who will discuss the Tommy Rich situation and where things stand there.  As for the Continental Tag Team titles, this Monday night in Dothan, there will be an eight team tournament to crown new champions, now originally since Bob and Brad Armstrong had already earned a title shot, the winners of the tournament were going to face them to decide the new champions but since Bob Armstrong was attacked last Monday night at the end of their match with the Stud Stable, we don't know how long Bob will be out of action but we do know he spent three days in the hospital following that 'spike piledriver' on the concrete floor.  I'm still investigating who the two men in the masks and scrubs were that attacked Bob, I have my suspicions on who it was under those masks but I'm not going to say just yet who I think they were.  Anyway, we'll reveal the eight teams and the first round matches a little bit later in the show tonight but right now, let's hear from Bill Watts."

(VTR- Bill Watts is standing in front of the Mid South Wrestling backdrop)

watts.jpg

Watts: "Hello, Continental Wrestling fans it's good to be here on Continental television but I wish it was under better circumstances.  For the past several months or so, Johnny and Tommy Rich have been two of the most disgusting individuals in the sport of professional wrestling, why just the things they said about the great state of Texas and the Von Erich family leading into the David Von Erich Memorial Tag Team Tournament was enough to make a preacher cuss but the actions of Tommy Rich on that television show last week when he applied a piledriver, one of the most deadly and dangerous holds in professional wrestling…..when he applied that hold to his own mother because she cost him a wrestling match may very well have been the most low down vile thing I've ever seen take place on a professional wrestling television program and I'm ashamed that it took place on a show sanctioned by the NWA.  I've spent a lot of time in meetings this week with the NWA Board of Directors as well as Continental's own Commissioner, Les Thatcher and I'm going to be honest, there was some very serious talk about banning Tommy Rich from the NWA for life and I'm still not sure that wouldn't have been the best decision to be quite honest.  However, it is our ruling that Tommy Rich is hereby suspended until he is able to pay a $100,000 fine in full.  Now, I was sent some footage from last Monday night in Huntsville where two men dressed in scrubs and masks seemingly trying to pass themselves off as the tag team, the Interns attacked Bob Armstrong and injured him coincidently with a piledriver.  You could somewhat see in the video but it's been confirmed by ringside fans that the man giving the piledriver had blond hair sticking out of the back of his mask, and his accomplice that helped spike Bob, had dark curly hair sticking out of the back of his mask.  It is my belief that those two were Johnny and Tommy Rich under those masks….unfortunately at this time I can't prove that but if I'm able to prove it….BOTH men will be banned from the NWA for life!  However, as of right now….since Johnny Rich did not actively participate in piledriving Peggy Rich and at this time we cannot prove he was one of the 'Interns', he is still eligible to compete in Continental Wrestling but the investigation into the incident during the Armstrong vs. Stud Stable match will be ongoing.  I just want you fans to know that I'm currently working with the Board of Directors and the promoters of the NWA to get things under control and to stop all this craziness that's going on across the National Wrestling Alliance and I take personal responsibility for finding a way to resolve this since it's happened on my watch, you have my word that I'll do everything in my power to get things under control.  Thank you for your support of the NWA and please continue to come out and show that support whenever any of the NWA promotions come to your town."

(END VTR)

Solie: "Well there you have it from the President of the NWA and Les, I've spoken to several wrestlers and fans who were there Monday night and most of them are pretty convinced those two 'Interns' were the Rich Cousins. As for that $100,000 fine, I seriously doubt that Tommy Rich has that kind of money laying around, and I'm pretty sure he can't borrow it from his mother so beyond putting on a mask and scrubs, we may have seen the last of Tommy Rich in the NWA."

Les: "Gordon, I'm pretty darn sure they are right but unfortunately no one was able to see them without those masks to confirm that to be the case, but I can say this….if they were to show up again at a Continental Wrestling event…..any wrestler who can unmask them or provide photographic proof of their identity will be eligible for a shot at any championship they see fit or perhaps a cash reward whichever they find more favorable. As for the fine, I'm pretty sure you're right about Tommy not being able to pay it, I'm sure he has that kinda money in the bank being a former World Champion, but I don't see him being willing to pay that out."

Solie: "Wow….what a blockbuster announcement that is! That will certainly motivate EVERYONE in the locker room to rat the Richs out if in fact they are the ones that are donning masks and portraying the Interns….Now, one more thing I'd like to get your thoughts on while your out here. Where are you at on the 'Bring Buddy Back' campaign?"

Les: (Smiles) "I was kinda hoping you wouldn't ask me about that. So, apparently he's bought some more time tonight so we'll see how that goes but I spoke to Bill Watts about this in the midst of the Tommy Rich discussions and officially the NWA's stance is that Buddy lost the match and the stipulation is binding…..however……Bill Watts said that the NWA is always willing to listen to the fans and if we get enough feedback and fan support we'll take it under consideration…..but he also said since the match was against Wendell Cooley, if Buddy Landel's reinstatement went before the Board for consideration, ultimately Cooley would have to sign off on it for it to happen."

Solie: "That should be interesting…..I know you said he bought some time for today but take a look at this footage from last Monday before the event in Huntsville where Buddy had a "bus" out in the parking lot and was campaigning to 'Bring Buddy Back', take a look."

(VTR- What appears to be a Frito Lay truck with banners duck taped to the sides that read "Bring Buddy Back" is parked out in front of the Von Braun Center in Huntsville while Buddy Landel is walking around carrying a sign that reads 'Bring Buddy Back' and has a megaphone, he has a team of people handing out fliers, buttons, and bumper stickers as well….as he talks to people over the megaphone…here are just a few highlights:  "Maam, you look like a nice young lady…how would you like a 'Bring Buddy Back' button to wear? How about a 'Jerry Stubbs Sucks!' sign to hold up when Special Olympia comes out tonight?"   "Hey sir, did you know that it's a known fact that you could feed a third world country for six weeks off of what Ronnie P. Gossett had for lunch today?"     "How many of you already knew that the 'P' in Ronnie 'P' Gossett stands for Porky?"    "Did any of you know that Duke Myers USED to be a man??"   "Ronnie Gossett has ate 4 Quincy's Restaurants out of business in the past two weeks."   "Mr. Olympia wears a mask because he looks like the guy from the Dunkin Donuts commercial."   "Boss Hogg on the Dukes of Hazzard was based on Ronnie P. Gossett and Duke Myers is Roscoe."--END VTR)

Solie: "That went on for hours."

Les: (Laughing) "Umm, yeah it did…Buddy is something else….but how about we go to the ring Gordon."

Solie: "Great idea Les, let's see the now former NWA U.S. Jr Champion Larry Hamilton in action."

===========================

MATCH #1:

Larry Hamilton pinned Rick Dagless with a sunset flip

(Post match- Larry joined Joe Pedicino at ringside)

Joe: "Larry, last week you made your return to Continental and things just didn't go your way as Steve Regal won the U.S. Jr. title last Monday night."

Larry: "He didn't win the title, Joe….he STOLE the title thanks to that little jezebel, Dark Journey! That's alright, I'm getting my rematch this Monday night in Dothan and this time I know what I'm up against…..and I promise you this time….things are gonna go my way!"

============================

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(As return from the commercial break, Gordon is flanked by a familiar face and a not so familiar face)

Solie: "I'm joined here by a young lady we haven't seen in a couple of weeks, of course I'm referring to Woman…..but this isn't who we saw you with before….Woman, who is this man?"

8iB3wKf.jpg

Woman: "You just answered your own question Gordon…..he is Man.  I am Woman.  Things did not go right before Gordon."

Solie: "You mean when Jimmy.." (Woman cuts him off by putting her finger over his mouth)

Woman: "Gordon Solie, we must never speak of it…..I promised we would never speak of it. Things went wrong……they just went all wrong…..it was never supposed to be that way…..so now, we press the reset button."

Solie: "The reset button?"

Woman: "That's right Gordon, things got all messed up. Man wasn't here…..it didn't go the way it was intended….but now we shall set it all right. It's nearly time for the rebirth….the re-premiere……the return of……..LUSCIOUS!" (Woman strokes Gordon's cheek and he blushes as she walks away, Man puts his hand on Gordon's shoulder….then winks at him as he walks away…Gordon stares blankly into the camera)

chxQFIs.jpg

Solie: "Um, let's go back down to the ring."

MATCH #2:
 The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton) defeated Randy Watson/Leonard Washington when Anthony pinned Watson after a double DDT!

Post match promo with Pedicino: The Dirty White Boys promise to walk out of Dothan the new Continental Tag Team Champions, no matter what!

(VTR- A voiceover says 'the following is a paid advertisement)

Black & White footage rolls of Ronnie P. Gossett and Mr. Olympia with the following voiceover. "Ronnie P. Gossett is a known liar and a thief! One day while having lunch with his alleged best friend, Buddy Landel….Gossett stole four of Buddy's ten piece chicken nuggets while he stepped away to make a phone call…and then blamed it on a child at another table!!  Mr. Olympia besides being a liar and a cheater is also UGLY….very, very ugly!! Jerry Stubbs' parents started putting a mask on him at the age of four so that other children wouldn't be scared to come near him…..he's worn one ever since!!  These men are a menace to professional wrestling and polite society!! There's only one man who could rid Continental Championship Wrestling of these two abominations……that man is BUDDY LANDEL!  Please do your part to ……BRING   BUDDY   BACK!!!"  This message was paid for by the Coalition of Concerned Wrestling Fans who love and support Buddy Landel!"

(END VTR)

=============================

COMMERCIAL BREAK

============================= 

(As we return from the break, Gordon Solie runs down the card for Monday night in Dothan)

CCW Tag Team Title Tournament

Houston County Farm Center

Dothan, Alabama

Monday July 26, 1986

Bell Time: 7pm

CCW Tag Team Title Tournament Round 1:

The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson)

vs.

Savannah Jack/Sweet Brown Sugar

Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk

vs.

Akio Sato/Tarzan Goto w/Oliver Humperdink

Stud Stable (Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden) 

vs.

Doug/Tommy Gilbert

Scott/Steve Armstrong

vs.

The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton)

NWA U.S. Jr. Championship

"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal w/Dark Journey

vs.

Larry Hamilton

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

The Finals of the CCW Tag Team Title Tournament to crown new champions!

MAIN EVENT

STEEL CAGE

SIX MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

Ivan/Nikita Koloff & Mr. Olympia

w/Ronnie P. Gossett/Duke Myers

vs.

Magnum T.A./Mystery Partners

-----------------------------------------------------

(As Solie finishes running down the card, Johnny and Davey Rich storm the desk)

Solie: "Gentlemen, I don't have you scheduled to be out here right now."

JohnnyDaveyRich.jpg

Johnny: "Oh, I'm sure you don't Mr. Solie but my cousin and I want to know why we aren't in the tournament for the titles that I was just wrongly stripped of?!?!"

Solie: "Johnny, I don't make those decisions but I can only assume that the reason is that Davey just returned this past week."

Johnny: "Savannah Jack and Sweet Brown Sugar are in it, they just got here! Who have they even beat? I'm the former tag team champion!"

Solie: "Actually, from what I've been told….Savannah Jack and Skip Young beat yourself and Davey Rich this past week."

Davey: "How dare you mention that Gordon Solie? That wasn't even an official match…..that was just thrown together….that should be stricken from the record and never mentioned again!"

(Savannah Jack and "Sweet Brown Sugar" Skip Young approach the desk)

Solie: "Gentlemen, it's good to see you but I must admit I don’t have you two scheduled to be out here right now either."

012712-savannah-jack-russell-wrestler.jp

Jack: "I understand Mr. Solie, and we mean no disrespect to you or this show……but we just wanted to come out here and tell these two chumps that you are exactly right….we're in this tournament because we beat THEM…..and if they want to get in the ring right here on the show….we'll beat 'em again!"

Johnny: "Hold up one minute there Savannah Jerk! Are you telling us that you'll wrestle us and if we beat you then WE get the spot in the tournament in Dothan?"

200px-Skip_Young.jpg

Young: "That's exactly what we're saying……so don't talk about it, boys! Be about it!"

Johnny: "You're on!  We'll beat you two….then plow through that tournament and win those titles! Then we're going to help Tommy raise the money to pay that fine!"

Solie: "Ok guys, we're going to run this by Les Thatcher and if he sanctions it, we'll add it to tonight's matches.  Right now, let's go to the ring and see Magnum T.A. in action!"

=======================

MATCH #3:

Magnum T.A. pinned Curly Jefferson with a belly to belly suplex in just under one minute

(After the match, Joe Pedicino enters the ring to speak with Magnum T.A.)

Joe: "Magnum, I'm honestly surprised to see you in the ring tonight after that vicious attack by the Russians last week that perhaps cost you the Continental Heavyweight title against Mr. Olympia."

Magnum: "Oh there's no perhaps to it, Joe! I had Olympia beat with the belly to belly and that Continental championship was mine until those no good Russians stuck their nose in my business once again but things will be different in Dothan when….." (Ivan and Nikita Koloff along with Mr. Olympia are at the desk with Gordon Solie and cut Magnum off)

Ivan: "That's big talk from a man who is standing in the ring all alone right now.  I say, we don't wait for Monday…..we take you out now when your so called mystery partners aren't here to save you."

Olympia: "Let's go boys!" (They start to leave the desk and heard towards the ring)

Magnum: "Well Joe, I say we solve the mystery RIGHT NOW! Come on down here fellas and get you some!"

(The lights go out for a moment….when they come back on, The Russians and Olympia are at ringside….and standing in the ring with Magnum are DUSTY RHODES AND BLACKJACK MULLIGAN…..Rhodes takes the mic)

Rhodes: "Now din….let's get past tha talkin' baybay and let's get in here and handle bidness if ya will!"

BJM: "What's the matter? You Soviet Sissies suddenly lose your nerve? Jump on in this ring and show us what you're made of!"

(Nikita lunges towards the ring but is held back by Uncle Ivan and Mr. Olympia)

Olympia: "Ain't nobody scared of you two Texans…..but we ain't getting paid tonight….we'll do it Monday in the cage where you boys can't run away!"

Dusty: "That's what I thought….Mista Olympia….keep on talkin'  and we may just have to 'Bring Buddy Back' to whip yo' a**!"  (Crowd cheers)

========================

COMMERCIAL BREAK

========================

MATCH #4:

WINNERS ENTER THE TAG TITLE TOURNAMENT

Savannah Jack/Sweet Brown Sugar defeated Johnny/Davey Rich when Sugar pinned Davey with a sunset flip off the top rope!   The Richs storm back up the aisle furious while Savannah Jack and Sweet Brown Sugar celebrate in the ring while the fans mock the Rich Cousins as they leave.

========================

(Back at the desk, Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden join Gordon Solie)

Solie: "I'm joined now by the Stud Stable who will be facing Tommy and Doug Gilbert in the first round of the Continental Tag Team title tournament."

Fuller: (laughing) "I just wanna thank Continental for basically giving us a bye in the first round putting those stupid Gilberts in the ring with us. We've beat them Gilberts like a drum for weeks and weeks and they just don't know when to leave well enough alone….well Monday night in Dothan, we're gonna beat the Gilberts just like we did the Armstrongs last week in that Southern Street Fight!"

Solie: "You mean that two guys in masks are going to come out and interfere and help you win this match too?"

Golden: "Gordon Solie, you sure do have a smart mouth on you….has anyone ever told you that?  I have no idea what you are referring to…..nobody helped us!  We beat those Armstrongs half to death in there and Robert whipped Bob Armstrong so bad that those two can't even be in the tournament this week!"

Fuller: "I don't know who those guys were….and frankly I don't care! It was a street fight, which meant anything goes…..we can't help it if so many people hate the Armstrongs that they decide to come out and piledrive them on the floor…..but all that matters is I pinned Bob Armstrong….WE won that match, just like we're going to win this tournament on Monday night in Dothan and we will be the new Continental Tag Team Champions….and that's all there is to say!"

Solie: "Well, thank goodness for that.  Let's go down to the ring for our main event, the Southeastern title match."

MATCH #5:

MAIN EVENT

NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Championship

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley

vs.

"Outlaw" Ron Bass w/Ronnie P. Gossett & Duke Myers

As Cooley steps through the ropes, Bass attacks him and the match is on!  The match is a wild back and forth match up with neither man keeping the advantage for very long!  After several minutes Cooley manages to catch Bass with a boot to the gut and signals for the bulldog!  Duke reaches in and grabs Cooley's leg as Gossett distracted the referee while still in his wheelchair at ringside…Gossett convinced the referee to get of the ring and assist him….meanwhile, Cooley jumps out of the ring and hits Myers with a flurry of punches!! Suddenly from out of nowhere….MR. OLYMPIA runs down and rams Cooley's head into the ring post and then rolls him into the ring, before running back up the aisle!  Bass quickly covers Cooley….as Gossett screams for the referee to get back into the ring…..the ref slides in and counts ….1….2…3!!  We have a new NWA Southeastern Champion!! "Outlaw" Ron Bass!!  Bass celebrates with the title belt as Cooley rolls out of the ring with his head busted wide open from being rammed into the ring post by Mr. Olympia.

RonBass.jpg

Solie: "I can't believe what just took place here….Mr. Olympia just cost 'Wildcat' Wendell Cooley the Southeastern title! Gossett clearly had a plan in place here….this is terrible. Well, I'll tell you one thing….if it comes down to it, I think Wendell Cooley might be willing to sign off on 'bringing Buddy back' after what just took place here tonight….but maybe I'm wrong. Fans, join us again next week for Continental Championship Wrestling, for Joe Pedicino….I'm Gordon Solie saying, So long from the heart of dixie!"

Bill Watts makes a rare (taped) appearance on CCW and announced Tommy Rich is being fined 100k and if he & Johnny turn out to be the masked men they're banned for life! 

And if that's not all he's willing to give "Bring Buddy Back" a chance. Let's make it happen! 

Budro helps his case with not one but two sidesplitting vtrs. 

Winters is bound & determined to get the U.S Jr Heavyweight title back. But can he counter Dark Journey?

Women heralds the return of Luscious complete with Man. Really glad this gimmick is sticking around. Solie's reaction was priceless.

Don't overlook the Dirty White Boys.

Young & Jack would've felt mighty damn stupid if they'd lost their spot in the tournament to the Rich cousins.

Magnum brings out the big guns with Dusty & Blackjack. Dothan may not be ready for what happens in that cage.

Dusty plugging "Bring Buddy Back" should go a long way to convincing folks to chip in.

The Stud Stable deliver a money promo before the main event. They're easily among the favorites.

A brilliant plan by RPG hands the "Outlaw" the Southeastern Heavyweight Championship! You gotta love a smart heel. RPG is gonna be extra insufferable with TWO champions in his stabie.

Bring on Dothan!

Wow... What a show!

Great job with Thatcher and Watts talking about the Rich incident.  I have a feeling he might find 100,000 dollars from somewhere but he better do it before someone gets the masks off the Interns.

Brign Buddy Back.... very interesting!  You can go a long way putting down RPG but is he to be trusted?

Woman & Man... It has begun!

TA bringing in Dusty and Mulligan would have brought the house down.  I'm glad Dusty is in CCW and you are magic with the interviews.  I found him difficult to write for but you will make him huge!

The Tourny in DOthan will be great.  Like how SBS & Savanah Jack kept the Rich's out.

Ron Bass with help from Olympia?  CCW is a wild,wild territory now.  Makes for such a great read.  

A lot happening in Continental. Tommy must come up with 100,000 dollars and a tournament is set to crown new tag champs. Maybe Tommy can reach out to Adnan or Morrow LOL. 

I'm liking the investigation into who the Interns are. With those incentives, I'm sure a lot of wrestlers will be willing to help.  

LOL! Bring Buddy back! What a creative story. I love how Landel is being used. He can get super over as a heel or face. The coalition of concerned wrestling fans, that's great stuff. 

We've got a nice little program going with Hamilton and Regal. 

Woman, man, the rebirth of Lucious. My reaction is the same as Solie's LOL. 

Nothing like an impromptu match. Stay tuned. 

WOW! Magnum got himself some serious back up with Dusty and Mulligan. The Russians and Olympia better be ready for an all out fight. I know the fans were going crazy for this. 

Well, the Rich's got their chance but Savannah and Sugar keep their tournament spot. 

Stud Stable are having a good time but better stay focused on the Gilberts. 

BOOOOO! Thanks to a lot of cheating and distractions, Bass takes the title from Cooley. I think this will defiantly help Cooley sign off on Buddy. 

Exciting show. Next stop Dothan. 

CCW Tag Team Title Tournament

Houston County Farm Center

Dothan, Alabama

Monday July 26, 1986

Bell Time: 7pm

The Spoiler w/Dark Journey pinned Steve Gatorwolf with the claw hold

CCW Tag Team Title Tournament Round 1:

The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson) defeated Savannah Jack/Sweet Brown Sugar when Duncum pinned Jack after a shoulder breaker

Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk defeated Akio Sato/Tarzan Goto w/Sir Oliver Humperdink by DQ when Humperdink got caught throwing salt into the eyes of Taylor

Doug/Tommy Gilbert defeated Stud Stable (Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden) when Fuller thought he had Doug Gilbert beat he started getting cocky and Gilbert managed to catch him with a quick school boy roll up for the 1-2-3!  Fuller and Golden completely lost it!! They attacked the Gilberts after the match…..Fuller loaded his boot and kicked Doug in the crotch…..Golden attacked Tommy with a chair busting his head open…..They went after Doug again, referee Larry Brock tried to stop them but Fuller threw him over the top rope out to the floor, then they dragged Doug over to the ring post….Robert grabbed one leg and Jimmy grabbed the other and they rammed him crotch first into the ring post! Les Thatcher came down to ringside and suspended the Stud Stable for 90 days for this senseless post match attack on the Gilberts.

The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton) defeated Scott/Steve Armstrong after Denton pinned Steve after hitting him with a chain behind the ref's back

NWA U.S. Jr. Championship

"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal w/Dark Journey pinned Larry Hamilton after a swinging neck breaker

CCW Tag Team Title Tournament Semi Finals:

Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk defeated The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson) when Zenk pinned Duncum after a dropkick from the top rope

The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton) get a BYE to the finals because the Gilberts are too injured to compete after the post match attack from the Stud Stable.

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned Duke Myers w/Ronnie P. Gossett following the 'running bulldog'

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

CCW Tag Team Title Tournament Finals:

NWA CONTINENTAL TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk defeated The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton) when Taylor pinned Anthony with a backslide, after the match The Dirty White Boys came over seemingly to congratulate the new champions but promptly attacked them but Taylor and Zenk fought back……then Sato and Goto hit the ring and it was a wild three way brawl. Les Thatcher came back down to ringside and threatened to suspend all three teams if they didn't stop fighting immediately…..the teams stopped fighting and left the ring.

MAIN EVENT

STEEL CAGE

SIX MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

Ivan/Nikita Koloff & Mr. Olympia

w/Ronnie P. Gossett/Duke Myers

vs.

Magnum T.A./Dusty Rhodes/Blackjack Mulligan

Despite being in a steel cage, the match is worked as a normal six man tag team match with the wrestlers tagging in and out with the referee inside the cage struggling to keep order. The match goes for about 26 minutes with the heels finally managing to take the heat on Dusty who can't seem to make the tag until he manages to hit a DDT on Olympia and starts to slowly crawl over to the outstretched hand of his partner Blackjack Mulligan…..he finally makes it over and just as he's about to make the tag……Mulligan blasts Dusty with big right hand to his already bloody head!!!   As Magnum asks him, "What the hell are you doing??"  Magnum is jumped by Ivan and Nikita Koloff who double team him!  Mulligan comes into the ring and straddles Dusty and just rains down punches on him……nearly knocking him out completely…..Mulligan gets off of Dusty as Olympia has recovered and comes over to make the cover…..the referee hesitates then makes the count 1---2---3!!  Ivan and Nikita have left Magnum in a bloody heap….the referee goes over to try and stop them from further attacking and gets rammed face first into the steel cage for his troubles. Mulligan locks the claw on his now former partner Dusty Rhodes as Wendell Cooley, the Armstrongs, and other babyfaces try to climb into the cage to make the save but are being kicked back down by the Russians and Mr. Olympia as Mulligan continues to clamp the claw hold down on the bloody head of the "American Dream".   Les Thatcher comes down to the ring and takes the microphone and says if they do not stop the assault and leave the cage immediately, Koloff will be stripped of the NWA World Title, Olympia will be stripped of the Continental title, and Ivan and Mulligan will be fired.  After some pleading from Gossett as well they stopped and exited the cage.

WOW!

First of all, as I was reading the Gilberts vs The Studd Stable, I kept saying to myself was this violent post match attack going to be allowed in the new NWA.  Right as I thought that, here comes Les with the 90 suspension.  WOW.

I liked how all 3 teams in the ring stopped their brawl right away after the warning.  This showed Les has gotten through.

NEVER... NEVER... NEVER did I expect the Mulligan turn.  He has some explanining to do. 

Awesome show that the fans of CCW will be talking about forever.  

Wow the first round didn't go as I thought at all! I couldn't believe BOTH the Armstrongs & Stud Stable bowed out so soon. Plus the Stud Stable freaks out and get themselves suspended for 90 days!

Regal seemingly scores the decisive victory over Winters.

The Stud's freakout works out great for the DWBs as they get a free ride to the finals while T&Z have to overcome the Highwaymen.

Cooley gets a bit of payback defeating Duker but I got a feeling he's not gonna be satisfied until he gets his title back.

T&Z best the DWBs to become the new CCW tag team champions! You've done such a great job building these two up rather quickly. Their reign should be fun to watch.

Insane main event that goes completely off the rails as MULLIGAN TURNS ON DUSTY! Than works with Olympia & the Koloffs to leave him & Magnum in a bloody heap. Iconic ending.

Shootout to Les Thatcher who was on point all night. From the suspension of the Stud Stable to threatening further suspensions & the stripping of titles. Dude wasn't playing tonight. 

An unforgettable night in the Farm Center.

That tournament was a lot of fun. I really had no idea who was going to win it. 

Highwaymen look strong in the first round with a solid win over a hot Sugar/Jack team. 

Humperdink's team stays strong as Zenk and Taylor take a DQ win. 

LOL, I had a feeling the Stud Stable was just a bit to cocky. Gilberts get the win but pay a hefty price. Stud's are suspended and Gilberts are out of the tourney. Lot happening.

It takes a chain to put the Armstrongs down. Good heat for Dirty White Boys.

Regal proves his title win over Hamilton wasn't a fluke. 

Cooley gets a satisfying win over bodyguard Duker.

WOW! Zenk and Taylor win the tournament and the titles! This team got over with me so I'm good with this. Looks like everybody is already gunning for them. 

Oh man! Huge swerve as Mulligan turns on Dusty! I'm sure the fans were in riot mode as the Russians, Olympia and Mulligan leave Dusty and Magnum a bloody mess. Things are going to get more wild and crazy in Continental. 

Great card! 

Continental Championship Wrestling Spot Show Loop:

Tuesday July 27, 1986- Mobile, AL.

Wednesday July 28, 1986- Prattville, AL.

Thursday July 29, 1986- Sylacauga, AL.

Friday July 30, 1986- Troy, AL.

The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson) defeated Larry Hamilton/Allen West (Subbing for the Gilberts) Hickerson pinned West after a boot to the head from Duncum behind the ref's back

The Spoiler w/Dark Journey pinned Steve Gatorwolf after walking the top rope and landing an elbow drop

The Armstrongs (Scott/Steve) defeated The Richs (Johnny/Davey) when Steve pinned Davey after a shoulder tackle off the top rope

NWA U.S. Jr. Heavyweight Championship

"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal w/Dark Journey pinned Billy Travis while Dark Journey held Travis' foot

The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton) defeated Savannah Jack/Sweet Brown Sugar when Denton pinned Jack with his feet on the ropes

Texas Death Match

"Outlaw" Ron Bass w/Ronnie P. Gossett & Duke Myers defeated "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley when Blackjack Mulligan interfered

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHALLENGE MATCH

Brad Armstrong/Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk wrestled The International House of Humperdink (Akio Sato/Tarzan Goto/Tatsumi Fujinami) w/Sir Oliver Humperdink to a 20 minute time limit draw

MAIN EVENT

NWA Continental Heavyweight Championship-Rematch

Magnum T.A. defeated Mr. Olympia w/Ronnie P. Gossett & Duke Myers by count out when Gossett faked a heart attack and fell out of his wheel chair…..Olympia got counted out while "trying to help save his life"…..afterwards a masked "medic" came down to "assist" but he started pounding on Gossett's chest and then attacked Olympia while Magnum fought off Duke Myers…..this masked man in scrubs who attacked Gossett and Olympia had blond hair hanging out of the back of his mask….but it's not likely the same one who attacked Bob Armstrong….some fans at ringside started chanting, "BUD---DY,  BUD--DY,  BUD--DY" but the masked man quickly exited through the crowd

The Highwaymen continue their winning ways.

Dark Journey has revitalized the Spoiler.

Armstrongs best the Rich's. I think Johnny and Davey are a little lost without Tommy. They better start pulling some money together. 

Regal is rolling as Jr. Champ. Dark Journey really has something going on here. 

Mulligan is making a lot of enemies and is quickly becoming one of the most hated heels.

Props to Brad, Zenk and Taylor for going toe to toe with the Japanese. 

Gotta love a Continental main event. LOL, RPG faking a heart attack was hilarious. Plan backfires as a mysterious masked medic takes it to RPG and Olympia. I hope one day we get all these masked medics in the ring at one time. 

Continental+Championship+Wrestling+logo.

Continental Championship Wrestling TV

Saturday July 31, 1986

Hosted by Gordon Solie

Ring Announcer: Freddie Miller

Interviewer: Joe Pedicino

From the Houston County Farm Center in Dothan, Alabama

(The show begins with the shocking footage of Blackjack Mulligan turning on his partners Dusty Rhodes and Magnum T.A. last Monday night and then still shots of the bloody aftermath as Blackjack worked over Dusty as the Russians beatdown Magnum and assaulted a referee……we also see a clip of Terry Taylor and Tom Zenk defeating the Dirty White Boys in the tournament finals to win the vacant Continental Tag Team titles!  We then go to the opening montage set to the instrumental version of Eddie Murphy's 'Party All the Time' and then to the set with your host world renown wrestling commentator Gordon Solie)

GordonCCW.jpg

Solie: "Hello and welcome once again to Continental Championship Wrestling, sanctioned by the National Wrestling Alliance and bru--ther do we have a show in store for you tonight, after all the crazy happenings of last Monday night in that wild six man steel cage match as well as the crowning of the new Continental tag team champions, we have plenty to discuss here tonight and much like in recent weeks, I'm going to ask Les Thatcher to join us and discuss what the aftermath of some this recent action will be."

LesThatcher1986.jpg

Les: "Thanks Gordon, as always it was another wild week here in Continental and I tried to be as proactive as possible at handling things as they arose but there are still some things I need to talk about here tonight but first let me just say, for those who weren't present for the tournament.  The Stud Stable went into their first round match with the Gilberts over confident and arrogant and that arrogance cost them the match and their egos couldn't take it and they brutalized both Tommy and Doug Gilbert after the match and caused them to have to forfeit the rest of the tournament.  I have suspended both Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden for 90 days and they are currently trying to protest this ruling with the NWA but I can promise you it will stand and you won't be seeing those two around Continental for the next 90 days."

Solie: "Well, I'm glad to hear that because that attack was uncalled for and I know how much it meant to Tommy Gilbert to compete in that tournament for the titles alongside his son and he was robbed of that opportunity."

Les: "That's exactly right, now a couple of other guys who seem to think they can do whatever they want is Ivan and Nikita Koloff. I confronted them in the dressing room after they assaulted a referee and Ivan Koloff told me that I quote, "can't touch them" because Nikita is the World Champion, well Ivan you are sadly mistaken because starting right now you two are suspended until August 30th at Beach Brawl in Biloxi, Mississippi.  NWA President 'Cowboy' Bill Watts has already signed for Magnum T.A.'s rematch for the NWA World Championship to take place that night at Beach Brawl. I'm told there will be a special stipulation added to that match in the coming weeks."

Solie: "Ordinarily I'd say that Magnum will be upset to wait that long for his rematch but he seems to have some other affairs to attend to right now."

Les: "Indeed he does, Gordon.  Steel Cage matches are something we do regularly here in Continental but a couple of days ago…….Magnum and Wendell Cooley came to me and said they want another six man cage match, against Blackjack Mulligan, 'Outlaw' Ron Bass, and Mr. Olympia and they want it this Monday night.  Now, obviously their first choice to be their partner would be Dusty Rhodes, but Dusty suffered an injury last week at the hands of Mulligan and we don't know just when he'll be back in action.  However, T.A. and Cooley say they have the perfect partner in mind for this match.  They also said they want to "raise the stakes" for this match…..so after talking to them, and then sitting down and talking to Mulligan, Bass, and Olympia….I've managed to come up with stipulations that will make this match most interesting…..stakes that effect each participant in this match differently if they are the one who gets pinned or submits."

Solie: "Wow, Les….that's a lot to take in, how about we go to the ring for some action and we'll discuss this huge match up a bit more, a little later."

=======================

MATCH #1:

The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson) defeated Ronnie Jenkins/Fred Garvin when Duncum pinned Jenkins after a powerslam

Post match: Joe Pedicino approached the Highwaymen and talked to them about the tag team tournament. They voiced their displeasure about coming up short and said they will take out their frustration this Monday night on Savannah Jack and Skip Young and show why they are the meanest, nastiest, and toughest tag team in the NWA!  Suddenly another tag team approaches wearing cowboy hats and carrying nooses.

Joe: "Guys, this is the Highwaymen's time, I'm not sure what you're doing here." 

Jaggers: "I'm Bobby Jaggers and this is my partner Dirty Rhodes, and we're the Hangmen and we go anywhere we want, whenever we want……and as far as these two washed up has beens thinking they are mean, nasty, or tough? You've gotta be joking! These two powder puffs couldn't….." 

Before Jaggers could finish that sentence, Duncum and Hickerson attacked and a wild brawl broke out and Gordon Solie called to the truck to go to a commercial break!

========================

COMMERCIAL BREAK

========================

(As we return from break Gordon Solie is once again joined by Woman….and Man)

Solie: "Well, hello Woman….to what do we owe the pleasure?"

8iB3wKf.jpg

Woman: "Oh, look at you Gordon…you sweet talker you.  I think you know why we're here. Next week….the happening will take place….the biggest thing to ever happen in wrestling.  This time, it will be done right. This time, nothing will get in our way. Next week will be the re-premier of….LUSCIOUS….Lanny Poffo.  NOTHING can prepare you! See you next week, Gordon." (Once again she runs her hand down Gordon Solie's cheek then walks away….and again Man puts his hand on Gordon's shoulder and gives him a knowing wink)

chxQFIs.jpg

Solie: (stammering) "Um…let's go to the ring."

========================

MATCH #2:

Scott Armstrong pinned Curly Jefferson following a super kick

scottyarmstrongUSJrbelt.jpg

Post match- Scott joins Gordon Solie at the desk, Gordon puts over the fact that Scott is a multiple time NWA U.S. Jr. Heavyweight Champion and that he will be getting a shot at "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal this Monday night, while his brother Steve will be taking on Johnny Rich.  Scott talks about how much the US jr title means to him and how much he wants to win it back….he also talks about the fact that his family is convinced that Johnny and Tommy Rich were under those masks when his father got injured and that Steve will do his "dead level best" to return the favor and injure Johnny Rich this Monday night!

========================

(We cut to the dressing room where Blackjack Mulligan is hanging out with his new friends, Ronnie P. Gossett, Duke Myers, Ron Bass, and Mr. Olympia)

JoeDesk.jpg

Joe: "I'm going to get right to it Blackjack Mulligan, everyone wants to know….why did you turn your back on Dusty Rhodes and Magnum T.A.?"

BJM: "First of all, tubby! You call me Mr. Mulligan! You haven't earned the right to call me Blackjack, only these men sitting in this room have! Why did I 'turn my back on Dusty and Magnum'? Was that your question? Well, Magnum was just there, I barely know that kid other than to say he's a young punk and not worthy of being my partner.  So that brings us to Dusty Rhodes…..the so-called American Dream!  I would say that's a joke but when you look around these arenas at all these fat, ugly, nothin' happenin' losers….I would say that Dusty Rhodes may very well be the 'American Dream'.  Now, as for why I 'turned my back on him' as you called it…..just watch Mid South Wrestling! After I carried him as tag team champions….after I wrestled almost the entire match against the Masked Superstars…..what happened, that fat loser came in and got beat!!  He rendered everything I did that night useless because he couldn't pull his weight….which I will admit…is A LOT! (the others all laugh).  Then move on that VERY SAME NIGHT, I was in a battle royal to earn a shot at the NWA World Heavyweight title, I eliminated Jake the Snake, I had the Superstars right where I wanted them and what happens? That big fat goof comes barreling in there and being the clumsy fool that he is….he knocks ALL OF US out of the ring!  IDIOT!! Then after all that….he has the nerve to call me up at my ranch and just TELL me 'we headed to Continental', be there on July 26th for a cage match.  Well, don't nobody tell me what to do….so I called up an old friend here in Ron Bass and he put me in touch with this wonderful gentleman, Ronnie Gossett and….well, you know the rest, tubby."

Bass: "How about you tell US something Joe Pinocchio! Why in the hell would we go right back into another cage match this week when we just won the one last week??  Les Thatcher has lost his mind!"

Gossett: "More importantly, who is this partner they supposedly have?  We know it ain't Dusty Rhodes, because Blackjack ran him out of the business last week!  It ain't Bob Armstrong because the Interns broke his neck! So who's it going to be? Larry Hamilton? Could it be the Gilberts? Nope, the Stud Stable beat them half to death!"

Joe: "I don't know, maybe they'll have to bring somebody back…."

Olympia: "What? Bring who back? You shut your mouth, you goof! They aren't bringing in nobody back! Just get the hell outta here!"

BJM: "I don't give a damn WHO they get for a partner! Just to show you how much I don't care! I'm issuing a challenge right now! I'll face any one of them right here tonight on this TV program. I'll face Magnum, Cooley, or whoever their so-called partner is and after I get done with them tonight, it will be a handicap match on Monday!"

(Mulligan shoves Joe Pedicino out of the dressing room)

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(As we return from the break, Gordon Solie is joined by Brad Armstrong flanked by his brothers Scott and Steve)

CCWArmstrongs.jpg

Solie: "Brad, you have a big match coming up this Monday night in Montgomery, Alabama as you'll be facing Tatsumi 'the Dragon' Fujinami in a match where the winner will be the #1 contender to the Continental Heavyweight Championship."

Brad: "Gordon, I'm looking forward to this match, Fujinami is one of the best wrestlers in the world today, I don't understand why he runs with Humperdink and his cronies but I still have a lot of respect for him none the less."

Solie: "I know you do and I invite you to stick around and watch him in action here in a moment but I wanted to take a moment to ask you how you father, Bob Armstrong is doing?"

Brad: "He's getting better each day but his neck is in rough shape and he spends each and every day thinking about what he'll do to Tommy Rich when he gets his hands on him."

Solie: "Well, he may not get that opportunity, at least not in a wrestling ring because the NWA has ruled if Rich doesn't pay this $100,000 fine, he will stay suspended until that fine is paid in full."

Brad:  "I can tell you this right now, if I had the money to spare, I'd pay it right now to get my hands on Tommy Rich and I know my father feels the same but we'll deal with him in due time, let's do some scouting of my opponent for this Monday night."

Solie: "Indeed, let's go down to the ring to see the "Dragon" in action."

=======================

MATCH #3:

Tatsumi 'the Dragon' Fujinami w/Sir Oliver Humperdink pinned Ray Purchase with a 'Dragon Suplex'

=======================

(Joe Pedicino is joined in the interview area by the new CCW Tag Team Champions Terry Taylor and Tom Zenk)

Joe: "Guys, congrats on winning the tournament and becoming the brand new Continental tag team champions!"

Taylor: "Thanks Joe! The competition was fierce and we are proud to represent Continental and these great fans as the tag team champions."

Zenk: "That's exactly right, we haven't been teaming up very long but teaming with Terry has been an absolute pleasure and I'm excited to defend these titles and we look forward to earning a shot at those NWA World Tag Team titles!"

(The Dirty White Boys make their way out)

Anthony: "Ok ok….let's not get ahead of ourselves here boys!  We should be wearing those belts right now and once we beat you for them, it will be US getting a shot at the World tag team titles!"

(Sir Oliver Humperdink leads Akio Sato and Tarzan Goto out to the interview area)

Hump: "You boys got your shoulders pinned by these two pretty boys, meanwhile they snuck past my guys on a technicality…..they didn't beat us."

Denton: "Technicality? You threw salt in their eyes because you knew your boys were about to lose!"

Hump: "Shut your stinkin' mouth, chump! You couldn't GRAPPLE your way out of a wet paper bag!"

(Les Thatcher comes out)

Les: "I kind of figured this might happen. The fact is you're both right. Terry Taylor and Tom Zenk beat BOTH of you last Monday night so one doesn't deserve a title shot anymore than the other….so here's how we'll settle this.  Monday night, Sato and Goto will face the Dirty White Boys and the winners of that match will get a tag title shot against the champions later in the night."

Anthony: "Fine with us!"

Hump: "Finer with us!"

(All the heels storm off)

Taylor: "Fine with us too."

Zenk: "Yep."

========================

COMMERCIAL BREAK

========================

MATCH #4:

Savannah Jack/"Sweet Brown Sugar" Skip Young defeated Randy Watson/Eddie Wilson when Young pinned Wilson with a sunset flip off the top rope

As Savannah Jack and Skip Young were celebrating their victory in the ring they suddenly were attacked from behind by The Hangmen, Bobby Jaggers and Dirty Rhodes!  They beat on them for a few moments until The Highwaymen hit the ring and attacked The Hangmen and they brawled around ringside and back up the aisle and out of sight!

=========================

(Gordon Solie brings out Magnum T.A. and Wendell Cooley)

Solie: "It's nearly time for our main event, who will be facing Blackjack Mulligan here tonight."

Cooley: "I'll be more than happy to face him, Gordon."

Magnum: "Wendell, I'd really like to get my hands on him after what he did to me and my buddy Dusty last week."

(Les Thatcher comes out)

Les: "Guys, I think it's time we reveal the 'high stakes' for this week's match but before we do that…..do you want to let everyone know who your partner is going to be?"

Cooley: (looks to the fans) "I don't know…..do you guys wanna know who our partner is gonna be?" (Crowd roars)  (Cooley and Magnum point to the aisle---'Back in the Saddle' by Aerosmith plays as 'Nature Boy' Buddy Landel comes strutting out to a huge ovation)

Solie: "I wouldn't believe if I wasn't seeing it with my own eyes."

Landel: "Gordon, you better believe it baby, never fear cause Budro is here! I want to thank the fans for making the 'Bring Buddy Back' campaign a success and I want to thank Wendell Cooley for signing off on my return and I'm here to make Ronnie Gossett and Mr. Olympia's life a living hell!"

Solie: "Now, I don't want to be the party pooper here but Magnum, have you and Wendell ever considered this whole thing could be a ruse by Buddy and Gossett to set you two up?" (Buddy chimes in before either could respond)

Landel: "Ok, first of all Gordon Solie…..it hurts my soul that you think so poorly of me but I understand that is on me.  I've made it that way and I accept that.  However, I promise you that this is no way a ruse on my part with anybody……Ronnie Gossett stabbed me in the back and ruined my life at the Great American Bash and if I live to be a 112 years old I'll never forgive him for it.  Mr. Olympia Jerry Stubbs is my sworn arch enemy in life and I'd soon sit in a sauna in Hell with the Devil himself than EVER side with Stubbs on anything so I promise you and swear on my Mother that I'm completely one hundred percent genuine in my desire to be these guy's partner, and to further prove that, I humbly request that you PLEASE let me be the one to take on Flapjack Mulligan here tonight."

Cooley: "I'm game if Magnum is."

Magnum: "Sure, if you feel that strongly about it, Buddy. Sure, I'll step aside."

Landel: "Thanks guys, I promise you won't regret bringing me back as your partner and we're going to make these guys pay for everything they've done!"

Les: "Ok, so with that being said….let's run down the stipulations for this match, starting with the ones against you guys.  Wendell if you lose, you will NEVER get another shot at the Southeastern championship.  Magnum if you lose, you will lose your World Championship match at Beach Brawl and the person who pins you or makes you submit will get the shot in your place……and Buddy if you lose, you must leave Continental FOREVER with no chance of returning! (All three look a little apprehensive but nod in agreement)  Now to the other side of the coin. If Ron Bass loses, he will lose the Southeastern Championship to whoever pins him or makes him submit.  If Blackjack Mulligan loses, he must retire from professional wrestling…….and if Mr. Olympia loses he must completely unmask AND he loses the Continental Championship to whoever pins him or makes him submit!"

(Olympia comes charging out along with Mulligan, Bass, and Duke Myers rolling Gossett in his wheelchair)

Olympia: "Wait a damn minute! Everyone else has ONE THING that happens if they lose…but I have to UNMASK and LOSE MY TITLE??"

Mulligan: "Retire? I just got here! That ain't happenin!"

Les: "Guys, if you don't like the stipulations, it's real, real simple.  Just don't lose."  (with that Commissioner Thatcher walks away)

Solie: "Blackjack, I suggest you head to the ring as we'll be ready for our main event right after these messages and after we run down the full card for this Monday in Montgomery."

==============================

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Gordon runs down the card for Montgomery

Monday August 2nd 1986

Montgomery Civic Center

Montgomery, Alabama

Bell Time- 7:30pm

MAIN EVENT

"HIGH STAKES"

SIX MAN TAG TEAM CAGE MATCH

If Wendell Cooley gets pinned/submits, he never gets another S.E. Title Shot

If Buddy Landel gets pinned/submits, he must leave CCW FOREVER

If Magnum T.A. gets pinned/submits, he loses his World title shot at Beach Brawl and it goes to who pinned him

If Ron Bass gets pinned/submits, he loses his title to that person

If Blackjack Mulligan gets pinned/submits, he must retire from wrestling

If Mr. Olympia gets pinned/submits, he must completely unmask AND he loses the Continental Championship to that person

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley

"Nature Boy" Buddy Landel

Magnum T.A.

vs.

"Outlaw" Ron Bass

Blackjack Mulligan

Mr. Olympia w/Ronnie P. Gossett & Duke Myers

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

NWA Continental Tag Team Championship

Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk

vs.

Winners of Dirty White Boys vs. Sato/Goto

#1 Contender's Match for the CCW Championship

Brad Armstrong

vs.

Tatsumi "The Dragon" Fujinami w/Sir Oliver Humperdink

Winners will face the Champions in the Semi-Main Event

The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton)

vs.

Akio Sato/Tarzan Goto w/Sir Oliver Humperdink

"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal w/Dark Journey

vs.

Scott Armstrong

vs.

Special Challenge Match

Steve Armstrong w/Scott Armstrong

vs.

Johnny Rich w/Davey Rich

The Spoiler w/Dark Journey

vs.

Larry Hamilton

====================================

MATCH #5

MAIN EVENT

vs.

Blackjack Mulligan w/Ronnie P. Gossett & Duke Myers

Mulligan entered the ring first and caught Landel as he was entering the ring and took control early on…..Mulligan worked over Buddy for a couple of minutes before charging him in the corner and catching a boot to the face that staggered him……as Mulligan staggered backwards, Landel swept his legs and locked him into a figure four leglock!  Moments after Landel locked it in, Mr. Olympia and Ron Bass hit the ring and started putting the boots to Landel……Cooley and Magnum quickly hit the ring as well and it was a six man brawl! The "bad guys" powder out leaving Cooley, Magnum, and Landel standing tall in the ring.

Solie: "Wow, I have to say, it's going to take some getting used to seeing Buddy Landel alongside guys like Wendell Cooley and Magnum T.A., I really hope I'm wrong but something about it still just doesn't feel right to me but time will tell.  Join us this Monday night in Montgomery for this "High Stakes" Cage match and then we'll see you back here next week for more Continental Championship Wrestling until then I’m Gordon Solie for Joe Pedicino saying, 'So long from the Heart of Dixie'!"

© 1986 Continental Championship Wrestling Inc.

The Hangmen arrive & immediately make a statement. This gimmick screams CCW.

Gordon's reaction to Woman & Man is awkwardly adorable.

Blackjack i mean Mr Mulligan's explanation is perfect heel sense. The picture of him standing next to RPG is too ridiculous to not work.

T&Z might want to be more assertive in the future. They kinda feel into the background in their own segment.

Budro's back! The fans did it!

Les wasn't kidding about "High Stakes" 

Monday could be a huge night for the Armstrongs.

Buddy wins his first match back but Gordon isn't entirely convinced he can be trusted. Can't say i blame him but here's hoping!

Great show this week.

I thought the Les Thatcher opening segment was really well done as it teased us both for this show and upcoming shows.  It seems we need to wait a bit to find out the stipulations for the big cage match this week and we must wait weeks to find out the stipulations for Magnum's rematch at Beach Brawl.  You really got us hooked!

Here comes Luscious!!!  I must admit I might stammer over my words in Woman ran her hand down my cheek!

Great segment with BJM.... Blame me and Mid-South for Mulligan's turn on Dusty!!  Thanks.  LOL.  Could Olympia be upset and what I think might happen... Damn... you got me hooked again.  Back to reading.

Zenk/Taylor... DWB... Japanese team.... the word GRAPPLE in caps... very interesting.  Another hook is set.

I had a felling that Budro would be the tag team partner.  I'm with Gordon.... be careful Cooley and T.A.

WOW... I knew there would be stipulations but everyone has something HUGE to lose.  This match would sell some huge tickets.

The brawl at the end doesn't make me any more sure that Landel is on the side of good for ever.  Again, I'm hooked and need more CCW.

Suspensions and fines are running wild. I hope Nikita spends the next 30 days training because Magnum might have his number at Beach Brawl. 

Nothing like a good cowboy feud. Highwaymen and Hangmen are going to give the fans some great brawls. What a great angle. 

The re debut of Lucious. I can only imagine. Gordon's reactions crack me up. 

Scott Armstrong has his sights set on the Jr. title. Idk, Regal's been on a hot streak and has Dark Journey in his corner. 

I was looking forward to Mulligan's explanation and I have to say, just like Ernie Ladd, he made some sense LOL. Mulligan, Olympia and Bass along with RPG is one solid heel stable. 

Brad and Fujinami is going to be a classic. Whoever wins, defiantly deserves that title shot. 

The next segment does a great job of making the tag titles feel special. I love the heel team interactions. Well done. I need to pull the trigger on some heel vs. heel matches. 

Hangmen and Highwaymen waste no time in getting in more heat. Man, the tag team division is stacked! 

The cage match stipulations are set and Budro returns! So much to process. After that promo, Buddy seems pretty damn sincere. So much riding on that cage match. A lot of fans are going to pay to see that. 

Wild brawl to end the show and sell more tickets. 

Week after week, continental remains a red hot territory. 

Monday August 2nd 1986

Montgomery Civic Center

Montgomery, Alabama

Bell Time- 7:30pm

The Spoiler w/Dark Journey pinned Larry Hamilton with the claw hold

Special Challenge Match

Johnny Rich w/Davey Rich pinned Steve Armstrong w/Scott Armstrong when the masked "Intern" ran in and hit Steve Armstrong with a chair while the referee was trying to separate Davey Rich and Scott Armstrong who were fighting at ringside

vs.

This match didn't happed as The Hangmen (Bobby Jaggers/Dirty Rhodes) attacked Savannah Jack and Skip Young as they were coming down the aisle…….The Highwaymen came out of the ring and started brawling with The Hangmen.  Les Thatcher and some referees came down and broke up the fight.  Duncum/Hickerson insisted on having a match with the Hangmen.  Thatcher said the Hangmen will be fined for attacking Jack and Young but agreed to make the match.

The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson) fought The Hangmen (Bobby Jaggers/Dirty Rhodes) to a DOUBLE DQ when all four men started brawling in the ring and the referee couldn't restore order

Scott Armstrong pinned "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal w/Dark Journey when Dark Journey accidently hit Regal with her loaded purse to win the championship

d780d94d8eea9ab12c8591788049b251.jpg

Winners will face the Champions in the Semi-Main Event

Akio Sato/Tarzan Goto w/Sir Oliver Humperdink defeated The Dirty White Boys (Tony Anthony/Len Denton) when Humperdink tripped Denton allowing Goto to get the pin.

#1 Contender's Match for the CCW Championship

Tatsumi "The Dragon" Fujinami w/Sir Oliver Humperdink pinned Brad Armstrong with a 'Dragon Suplex'

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

NWA Continental Tag Team Championship

Terry Taylor/Tom Zenk defeated Akio Sato/Tarzan Goto w/Sir Oliver Humperdink when Taylor pinned Sato with a school boy roll up when Sato was distracted by the Dirty White Boys coming to ringside and attacking Humperdink, which the fans popped for…..Are the Dirty White Boys fan favorites now??

MAIN EVENT

"HIGH STAKES"

SIX MAN TAG TEAM CAGE MATCH

If Wendell Cooley gets pinned/submits, he never gets another S.E. Title Shot

If Buddy Landel gets pinned/submits, he must leave CCW FOREVER

If Magnum T.A. gets pinned/submits, he loses his World title shot at Beach Brawl and it goes to who pinned him

If Ron Bass gets pinned/submits, he loses his title to that person

If Blackjack Mulligan gets pinned/submits, he must retire from wrestling

If Mr. Olympia gets pinned/submits, he must completely unmask AND he loses the Continental Championship to that person

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley

Magnum T.A.

vs.

"Outlaw" Ron Bass

Blackjack Mulligan

Mr. Olympia w/Ronnie P. Gossett & Duke Myers

Much like last week. the match started out with everyone tagging in and out but after about 14 minutes, all six men ended up fighting in the ring.  Landel got busted open against the cage by Mulligan, before Mulligan paired off fighting with Magnum…..who ended up busting Blackjack open as well, Cooley laid out Ron Bass…and was jumped from behind by Mr. Olympia…….Cooley fights back and manages to hit Olympia with the RUNNING BULLDOG!!  However, before Cooley could go for the pin…..Landel slaps the figure four on Olympia and he eventually gives up!!  Cooley looks slightly annoyed but the fans go wild as Freddie Miller announced that Buddy Landel is the new Continental Heavyweight Champion and that Mr. Olympia must now unmask!  At first, Olympia did the old pull off the mask and have another mask underneath……However, Les Thatcher came to ringside and said that if Mr. Olympia didn't completely unmask he would be suspended for life!  So, Olympia finally removed the second mask to reveal to no one's surprise…..Jerry Stubbs.

JerryStubbs.jpg

landelnwa.jpg

The Spoiler may find himself in a title match soon if he keeps this up.

The Rich cousins better buy that "intern" a beer. Maybe if they ask nicely he'll let'em know who he is.

The Highwaymen & The Hangmen end their first match in utter chaos.

Dark Journey slips up once & costs Regal the US Jr Heavyweight Championship.

Couple strong wins for I.H.o.H

DWBs as faces? Against Humperdink it might work.

Budro is Continental Champion in his first match back! I'm sure that thing with Cooley was just a misunderstanding. Buddy was just caught up in the moment.

Montgomery got their moneys worth.