Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 21, 2021 - Fyter Fest Night 2

MoS

That main event in hindsight needed to go last and it really redeemed the show. It was several steps down from last week's episode. It almost doesn't seem to matter right now, because the Omega-Page angle is as hot as ever (just please no more Good Brothers crap) and AEW really has a lot of buzz, albeit a lot of it is due to unconfirmed reports about Bryan having signed a contract and Punk being in talks. There is momentum and a sense of growth and progression, which is exactly what has been missing from the sterile and stagnant WWE product of the last 6 years or so 

eh, Final Countdown's firmly on the Mt. Rushmore of meme songs alongside Never Gonna Give You Up & Africa - i bet it's more than you think

EDIT: someone made an interesting point on how AEW having such a large roster can help keep the talent fresh.  regarding this episode of Dynamite:

"No Cody
No Malakai Black
No Jungle Boy (not really)
No Sammy
No Miro
No Matt Hardy (say what you will, but him and Christian did numbers last week)
No Young Bucks"

And they still managed a show that people enjoyed & built intrigue.  Tells me you can afford to rotate a lot of the talent...

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

I love seeing an older guy like Sting who gets it. Helped Darby reach the next level, and put over Orange,. Like Dave says, you might not get it (or even like it) but if something is over it's over. 

This is facts. I don't get Orange Cassidy. I don't get the Young Bucks. But I would be insane to not acknowledge they're over & it's working. It doesn't matter if I get it, because all the people buying tickets do. The argument that Cornette uses a lot is "but it won't be able to have X amount of growth!" (to whatever X is in his head) but we just don't know that anymore. With how TV has changed. How wrestling has changed. With the internet & social media & how the fans have changed. How we consume media. It's more like being a part of the in joke crowd now than thinking wrestling is real. Wanting to see the people you like instead of wanting to see the good guy win or the bad guy lose.

I, personally, like when wrestling is portrayed like it's real & the stakes matter & the drama can draw you in. I think the best match in AEW history was Cody Vs. Dustin. But that isn't really the direction AEW has been going from the jump, so I can't get mad at them for not doing what they were never doing, right?

I mean they're selling out 10k seat arenas in like one day & getting over a million viewers on Dynamite on TNT, right? So obviously something is working. 

(he's not in AEW but Danhausen is 100% another guy/gimmick that I don't get at all)

There are definitely some storylines in AEW which are treated as if it's real and the stakes are high and they matter. It's not a coincidence that those storylines are the ones with the most heat and momentum. I am talking about storylines like Hangman v. Omega, Darby v. Page, FTR v. Proud and Powerful. 

I don't mind the more lighthearted storylines because I think that 2 hours of national primetime booking every week would necessarily entail some light, tongue-in-cheek stories, because not everything can be dead serious all the time. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the main stories should always be completely serious, where the feelings seem real, the stakes are high, where there are grave consequences one way or another for what wrestlers are doing. That's the shit that makes more viewers actively set aside their time and tune in every week, as opposed to just laughing and getting entertained if they happen to catch the show that week

I can understand for the Omega & Callis dynamic but I actually like how the Dark Order's story intertwined with Hangman's; as they lost their beloved leader, they found someone new to rally behind in Hangman while Hangman has been there to boost Dark Order when they needed it. To me, that's a great story to be told about finding the right person to push you the most when you don't believe in yourself.