Pro Wrestling Only

Deathmatch Wrestling: How much is Too Much?

KawadaSmile

Funny thing is stuff like light tubes and barbed wire are relatively safe if done right.If you look at all the barbed wire matches from the 80s and 90s most of them just have the guys wrapping it around their hands/arms and usually there's just the normal forehead bleeding and sometimes like Dusty some bleeding on the upper arm to sell how sharp the barbs are. I'm sure the million tiny puncture wounds are no fun, but relatively speaking there's not usually any real major damage. Sabu slicing his arm was one of those Nick Gage "shit happens" moments that was compounded by Sabu being a crazy fuck who glued his arm shut and kept going. 

I also don't get why people get so personal in their dislike of Nick Gage either. It's fine if you don't like his style, but to think he's a moron just seems aggressively personal by all accounts. Dude obviously made mistakes in life and paid the price, and also by all accounts has turned his life around as well as one could expect since then. There's tons of stories on social media of people meeting Nick and saying he was a positive and inspirational guy. If you make a self-deprecating joke in his presence he's known for telling you to knock that shit off because you're a good person with value. He's clearly still rough around the edges as a person but the dude's put in work and it bugs me when I see people just dismiss him as the druggie who robbed a bank as if he hasn't done anything since then to try to make amends.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:25 AM, MoS said:

I think this clip does a good job of showing the spot in the context of the match itself, although there might be any additional context about the rivalry that I don't know of.

Not really sure what the big deal was after seeing that. Just seems the 2021 version of Abby stabbing people with forks or Foley using barbed wire baseball bats. It's certainly not unheard of for people to use dangerous weapons to get themselves over as dangerous psychos, and it was properly sold seemingly without any serious injury actually taking place. Nowhere near as nutty as old CZW using weed whackers and taking bumps off buildings.

• 6 months later...

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

What was he even trying to do? It looks like he dove through a pane of glass just for the hell of it.

Obviously putting yourself through a pane of glass that's been placed above your opponent does more damage. It doesn't just end up hurting your opponent the exact same as if the glass wasn't there, no siree

I can handle and think barbed wire, light tubes, and glass can be done well. I personally really enjoyed Masashi Takeda's BJW Deathmatch Heavyweight Championship run in 2018. The only things I took issue with were: strong style light tube spots (kinda dumb) and anything with knives, scissors, or box cutters. That stuff is just too much.

11 hours ago, MoS said:

Someone in GCW is apparently having to get their eyeball removed cuz they slashed themselves with a blade 

Did he need to get it removed or was it just lacerated? His tweets from the hospital seem to indicate it was a serious but not eye threatening injury.

55 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

I can handle and think barbed wire, light tubes, and glass can be done well. I personally really enjoyed Masashi Takeda's BJW Deathmatch Heavyweight Championship run in 2018. The only things I took issue with were: strong style light tube spots (kinda dumb) and anything with knives, scissors, or box cutters. That stuff is just too much.

I agree with this but also add syringes to my "fuck no" list. Even though I know they're typically safe.