Pro Wrestling Only

Nick Gage

Grimmas

madwizzzard said: "A death match wrestler from the late 90’s through today (minus a small jail stay). The aura that this man is incredible. He demands the audience’s attention, he can go from playing baby face to heel without changing his character in a way that works for him. The crowed is into him either way. He is one of the best American death match workers. MDK all FN Day and free his boy 26!"

Recommended matches:

Allie Kat vs. Nick Gage (01/18/2019 GCW Take A Picture)

Drake Younger vs. Jon Moxley vs. Nick Gage (08/07/2010 CZW Southern Violence)

Justice Pain & Nick Gage vs. Necro Butcher & Toby Klein (07/09/2005 CZW High Stakes III: Joker's Wild)

Gage is interesting, because he's had a long career, and always been at worst watchable, but I'd not consider him for something like this. I don't think he's ever been top 5 in the world at any point, heck I never thought he was top 5 in just CZW when I was watching in the early 2000s. Nowadays, I agree that he's managed to build himself an aura, and I'm glad he's seemingly turned his life around, but he's probably at his peak right now and I'd not put him top 50 in the world. Good to see him nominated, not making my list.

Every match I've watched from Nick Gage, he has looked like complete and utter crap in it (can't do shit that looks halfway decent). And I'm a fan of the Sandman. I do not get it at all. I mean, I get that he's a cult hero. But I get *nothing* out of his matches. For all the shit that Jericho gets lately, I thought he did a masterful job making a Gage match somewhat watchable and fun.

I considered nominating Gage, because I think he warrants some consideration, but I don't see any way I'd vote for him; Outside of his match with Gulak is CZW I couldn't think of any matches to use for the nomination. He has an aura of legitimacy and people really buy into him, but like El-P said, he just kinda stinks, like the spot that I always think of is him putting a spinning armbar on Tom Lawler on some Black Label show, it just looked like complete shit, he shouldn't have done it, and Lawler should never have allowed it, just the absolute worst. He's like the worst possible version of Eddie Kingston. 

• 2 weeks later...

PWO how you have disappointed me so! 

One of the best compliments I have ever gotten at work is a dude coming up to me in the lab and saying "You are the realest muthafucka I have ever met". When I saw Nick Fuckin' Gage for the first, I said to myself, that's a real muthafucka. He has AUTHENTIC charisma out the yin yang. In a world of try-hards, he is just Nick Fuckin' Gage, ALL FUCKIN DAY! I live for it. I'll put it like this...

This is what separates Kenta Kobashi from being #10 on my list to being in my top two. When he does the fist pump before the Moonsault, I am emotionally moved. His body posture, his facial expression, make me come alive! Sometimes I am pumping my fist and sometimes it brings literal tears to my eyes. Kobashi is 22 years older than me, speaks a language I dont speak and is from a culture I have never experienced, but in that moment we are completely and utterly connected. 

Nick Gage has the exact same effect on me live. When I shout "MDK ALL FUCKIN' DAY" it is not a pithy catchphrase, it is a way of life to be the Realest Muthafucka you can be. If you arent watching pro wrestling for the "vibes" what are you watching it for?