Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Saturday Night Dynamite - October 16, 2021

MoS

If they aren’t going to have the tournament all be top guys, there are kayfabe ways to explain it. Maybe have some of the spots be a random draw or computer picked. Without going back to the heel GM/Owner trope, you can have Omega and Callis exert some influence in the brackets, putting Danielson against a murderers row of opponents like Dustin, Eddie, and Mox while filling the rest of the tournament out with guys that aren’t a threat. Either Danielson gets the hell beat out of him getting through those three guys, or if one of them wins it’s all people Omega has either beaten or has the confidence he can beat. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

The obvious answer to "why isn't *X* in this tournament" of course is Tony doesn't want top level guys taking unnecessary  Ls. He clearly has things mapped out and unlike certain other major US wrestling companies, doesn't want to beat folks he has other plans for. 

I mean, yeah, I wouldn’t be booking Punk in a tournament that he’s not going to win. I wouldn’t book Danielson in a tournament that he’s not going to win tbh.

1 hour ago, Boss Rock said:

Even if some of the names aren't the biggest stars/most pushed, it makes more sense to avoid having guys like Miro, Cole, and Punk all take losses when they really don't need to.

That only makes sense from a smark "well they book this way because..." perspective. It makes no sense on screen, which is far more important than the theoretical considerations that go into booking. Obviously he doesn't want to have to have any of those people have a loss, but that can't be the reason given on screen. The only one that makes any sense to leave out would be Adam Cole, who might not want to go after his buddy's belt yet. 

13 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Basically it's the US title as JCP booked it, either held by the #2 guy in your company or someone you want to strap the rocket to. 

Kind of a combo of the US and TV title, since you’re regularly getting title defenses on TV and featuring guys that aren’t at the top but are just right under that level. 

Does it really need to be anything more than a secondary title which is still booked strongly enough for its champ to still brag about being the best? I guess the IC title in New Japan for a modern equivalent? The WWF IC title in the 80s can't really be an analogy since Hogan was so far above everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Steenalized said:

Can someone give me a crash course on what the Codyverse is? Is it the extra kayfabe level to his new show, like Total Bellas was to Raw/Smackdown? Is it just his specific angles and stories that don't really interact with AEW at large? 

It's a term people coined to describe how everything Cody does seems to be completely in its own universe disconnected from everything else going on in AEW.

Also while I get why he did it (especially considering the major criticism leveled about his dad), but barring himself from ever challenging for the world title was probably AEW's biggest misstep since it took him out of the main event picture permanently. 

I have loved everything about this week-end. Danielson. Suzuki. Bobby Fish. Hangman. The Superkliq. Dark Order. Mick Foley tribute. Kiera Hogan back on TV. Dan motherfucking Lambert aka The Heat. Everything. Awesome week-end of AEW. 

Oh, and of course, the GOAT : The Bunny.