Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - January 26, 2022 - Beach Break

MoS

18 hours ago, El-P said:

A clown scares the fuck out of children, adults and any reasonable human being.

Facial Recognition is one of the most important parts of the human brain, evolution-wise. It has its own zipcode and uses proportionally more energy than its size. We need to know who will slit our throats with flint, and who will share their sabre-tooth jaguar skins with us for warmth. 

So when our brains see Doink, we see two forward facing eyes above a nose above a mouth with two ears on the side and hair on the top. That's a human, QED. But they're not human eyes, it's not a human nose, the smile is like no human's - our brains don't know where to put them. Friend or foe? It's this dissonance which causes our apprehension. It's not us, it's our wiring.

As for Danhausen, I think those of us of a certain vintage just shrug our shoulders and think, "yeah, well, another Spellbinder, another Vampiro, another Papa Shango. Another Mankind even, with the evil and the nice. Show me what you can do in the ring and then we'll talk." I don't have the time to check out every Indy wrestler with a buzz, so what he does in AEW will largely define him for me.

I'm pushing 50. Nearly half-way there. It's hard to get excited about much that's above the waist, and certainly not with the enthusiasm of my yoof. Good luck to the kid, I hope he's got something I haven't seen before.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

Facial Recognition is one of the most important parts of the human brain, evolution-wise. It has its own zipcode and uses proportionally more energy than its size. We need to know who will slit our throats with flint, and who will share their sabre-tooth jaguar skins with us for warmth. 

So when our brains see Doink, we see two forward facing eyes above a nose above a mouth with two ears on the side and hair on the top. That's a human, QED. But they're not human eyes, it's not a human nose, the smile is like no human's - our brains don't know where to put them. Friend or foe? It's this dissonance which causes our apprehension. It's not us, it's our wiring.

Very eloquently put I must say ! Basically a clown is a living, breathing cursed image.

That being said, some people still find clowns to be funny. Yeah, I have no idea either.

I'd love to get an "uncanny valley" character in pro-wrestling. Would be difficult to do though, because it usually takes special effects and digital visual work. But even a character like what Poppy used to do would be a pretty interesting proposition. That would not fly with most of the older fans of course but who cares. I mean, even Kris Statlander being an alien kinda bothered some people. Now I have no idea what she's supposed to be, she's just a girl who boops people on the nose I guess. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

That being said, some people still find clowns to be funny. 

The physiological symptoms of fear and of laughter are identical - the baring of the teeth, shortness of breath, dilated pupils, increased heart rate and blood pressure, and a laugh is the quickest way the human body has of releasing tension. "All laughter is fear" is something of an over-simplification, but whenever I see a fighter, whether MMA, boxing or one of ours (I'm looking right at you, Daniel Bryan) laughing / baring his teeth before a fight, I think "tell me you're scared without telling me you're scared".

I'd say Danhausen has the same appeal that Zack Ryder did in 2011 where people didn't necessarily like him for his wrestling, but fans related to him and identified he loved this business just as much if not more than the fans. The bit he does which DMJ nailed is just endearing and mimacable so fans have really taken to it. I think it was his cameos that really launched him, I know my first exposure was through Cornette who actually liked his persona and found him hilarious but refused to watch him wrestle since he didn't want to shatter the illusion. I've only seen the odd match at ROH, but he was fine.

How long until Jericho latches onto him?

19 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

The physiological symptoms of fear and of laughter are identical - the baring of the teeth, shortness of breath, dilated pupils, increased heart rate and blood pressure, and a laugh is the quickest way the human body has of releasing tension. "All laughter is fear" is something of an over-simplification, but whenever I see a fighter, whether MMA, boxing or one of ours (I'm looking right at you, Daniel Bryan) laughing / baring his teeth before a fight, I think "tell me you're scared without telling me you're scared".

Symptons are just that though. Laugh and fear aren't the same thing, one actually supresses the other one (the infamous "Laugh kills fear" quote from the Name of the rose" is very true). Plus, not talking about nervous laughs here, there are really a lots of different laughs. But anyway. I don't think the whole Danhauser gimmick is supposed to be scary or creepy in the least.