Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - February 2, 2022

MoS

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MoS said:

Ah, I didn't know that. That's why Archer interrupted him like that I guess. It's a shame, hope it doesn't cause him too much pain. 

I had a friend who had that disease. It’s pretty brutal, you basically slowly lose the ability to breathe over time. Sadly, I imagine it is a result of a lifetime of smoking cigarettes (and other things that come in a pipe, in Jake’s case.) My friend who eventually died of COPD had been a lifelong smoker.

1 minute ago, The Thread Killer said:

Between his match with Darby last year, and now this…I think either I underestimated how good MJF is in the ring, or he’s still improving at an impressive rate.

He's very adaptable with his opponents, his work with Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara are perfect examples

13 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Between his match with Darby last year, and now this…I think either I underestimated how good MJF is in the ring, or he’s still improving at an impressive rate.

I think a little of both, maybe? He is improving in the ring for sure but I seem to recall you weren't the biggest fan of his promos.

I didn't think that needed to be 40 minutes at all. A very good match that got stretched for no good reason. MJF did his thing and continues to prove he's a worthy wrestler but this was Punk's show, dude made the match compelling with his selling and desperation. In a weird sense I felt this was kind of "wasted" performance, if Punk has this exact same match in Chicago but it's for the AEW belt, the crowd would've been molten hot and the atmosphere would've elevated it to an instant classic.

Still, Punk continues to show that when he gives a shit and the it's big time match, he delivers like few can.

I know AEW tends to move along from feuds even when they feel they're not completely over, but this felt like chapter 1 of 3 or even more. 

34 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I think a little of both, maybe? He is improving in the ring for sure but I seem to recall you weren't the biggest fan of his promos.

Not me, brother. I’ve always been a fan since I saw him in MLW. My only issue is I don’t like it when he leans too heavily into the 90’s shock jock routine. I thought he was being unnecessarily vulgar when he cut that promo on Brian Pillman Jr., for example. He’s so good he doesn’t need to resort to lame cheap heat tactics.

But I think he’s a natural and a once in a lifetime talent. It’s scary how good he is already and he’s still a few years away from his prime. I just always thought he was strong on the mic and mediocre in the ring. Now…I am seriously reconsidering that opinion.

6 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I thought he was being unnecessarily vulgar when he cut that promo on Brian Pillman Jr., for example. He’s so good he doesn’t need to resort to lame cheap heat tactics.

That was it, you had issue with him using cheat heat. That's fair, he doesn't need to resort to that and there were a million different ways to get heat against the Pillman family,

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

That was it, you had issue with him using cheat heat. That's fair, he doesn't need to resort to that and there were a million different ways to get heat against the Pillman family,

It didn’t help that Pillman Jr. punted that whole angle/match so badly. I am sure there are other examples of young talent failing to take advantage of a golden opportunity in recent years…but I can’t think of one off the top of my head. That whole deal just showed BPJ just doesn’t get it, and probably never will, sadly.

When MJF said all that heinous shit about his family only to have Jr. come out, smile and cut some lame ass generic promo with pretty much zero fire? Sheesh.