Pro Wrestling Only

It seems not everyone loves The Acclaimed

The Thread Killer

I don’t know if anybody here has been following this story as it unfolds, but it is becoming pretty hilarious.

As we all know, Tony Khan is building towards a big World Tag Team Title match tomorrow night on Dynamite, when The Acclaimed defend against Jay Lethal and Jeff Jarrett. The angle got kicked off a few weeks ago when Jarrett smashed a guitar over the head of Max Caster.

This past week, AEW showed a new music video from The Acclaimed, taking aim at Jarrett and Lethal. During the video, Caster takes a major shot at Jarrett “stealing Kurt Angle’s wife.”

It appears Karen Jarrett did not take kindly to this comment. She apparently went on a bit of a rampage of her own on Twitter. This is where she diverted from what was probably intended to be a work, when she started venting about Kurt cheating on her during their marriage…and naming names. Including the former Kelly Kelly, who issued a denial. Kurt Angle himself tweeted about people using him to get heat 12 years after the fact…which he then deleted.

So the newest episode of Jarrett’s podcast was released on YouTube this morning. Conrad Thompson started off the show, clearly trying to advance the angle and get a comment from Jarrett about the whole “controversy.” It was clearly a pre-planned promotional spot, but it appeared to go off the rails quite badly. Jarrett went on a bit of a bizarre rant involving Caster, Kurt Angle, Dixie Carter and Vince Russo?!

Before anybody says anything, no, I am not an idiot. I do not think all of this is real. Of course I think most of it is a work. It involves Jeff Jarrett, the carniest carny who ever carnied. 

However…let’s not forget that Karen Jarrett seems to have a legit goofy streak. Let’s not forget that whole brouhaha between her and Braun Strowman a couple years back.

I am thinking that this whole thing was probably preplanned and preapproved and Karen ended up taking it too far. There was no logical reason for Kurt Angle and Kelly Kelly and others to get dragged into this mess. Plus, if you watch the opening part of this podcast, you can clearly see where Jarrett is trying to balance between working and getting legitimately annoyed and Conrad kind of loses him. It is a humorous example of trying to use real life stuff to promote an angle.

Anyhow, the opening segment of this podcast is pretty funny, if nothing else. If you are going to watch it, you have to skip past a commercial and a bunch of college football talk. It starts about 12 minutes in.

I never really took it seriously in the sense that I thought there was much legitimacy to it.  It was more the Karen Jarrett aspect of this that I found humorous and noteworthy. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Tony Khan booked the angle and of course they agreed that Jarrett and Lethal would make the challenge, The Acclaimed would ignore them, Jarrett and Lethal would attack them, Caster would do his video, the match would happen, and we'd all move on.

What I am betting happened is that Karen Jarrett didn't much care for the joke about Jeff stealing her from Kurt, and Kurt clearly didn't care for his name getting brought up in the angle. I don't for a minute believe Tony Khan wanted Karen Jarrett to start rehashing all of Kurt Angle's past marital misdeeds and naming names on Twitter, of all things. I also don't see how JJ going on his podcast and dragging Dixie Carter and Vince Russo's names into the mess helped serve this story at all.  You have to know that as soon as Jarrett brought up Russo's name, old VinnieRu started doing the dance of joy.  Now he's going to start trumpeting about how he will tell us all his side of the story and what REALLY HAPPENED, BRO.  Behind his paywall, of course.

I just think this is pretty much a standard Pro Wrestling angle that started to go off the rails a wee bit somewhere, probably thanks to Karen Jarrett.

4 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I never really took it seriously in the sense that I thought there was much legitimacy to it.  It was more the Karen Jarrett aspect of this that I found humorous and noteworthy. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Tony Khan booked the angle and of course they agreed that Jarrett and Lethal would make the challenge, The Acclaimed would ignore them, Jarrett and Lethal would attack them, Caster would do his video, the match would happen, and we'd all move on.

What I am betting happened is that Karen Jarrett didn't much care for the joke about Jeff stealing her from Kurt, and Kurt clearly didn't care for his name getting brought up in the angle. I don't for a minute believe Tony Khan wanted Karen Jarrett to start rehashing all of Kurt Angle's past marital misdeeds and naming names on Twitter, of all things. I also don't see how JJ going on his podcast and dragging Dixie Carter and Vince Russo's names into the mess helped serve this story at all.  You have to know that as soon as Jarrett brought up Russo's name, old VinnieRu started doing the dance of joy.  Now he's going to start trumpeting about how he will tell us all his side of the story and what REALLY HAPPENED, BRO.  Behind his paywall, of course.

I just think this is pretty much a standard Pro Wrestling angle that started to go off the rails a wee bit somewhere, probably thanks to Karen Jarrett.

This is part of what I love about AEW - because the environment is a bit looser and less hyper-controlled than WWE, you get these weird bits of spontaneity sometimes. Now, this one isn't all that productive from a wrestling perspective, but it is admittedly kinda amusing.