Pro Wrestling Only

WWE 07/10 - 07/15 - Two Tribal Chiefs? In This Economy?

Timbo Slice

2 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Well, he's giving the audience verbal hand-jobs, so that might be a factor.

True, but dude is a worker the type WWE fans in particular aren't familiar with. The difference between his first run where he was WWE Create-a-Wrestler #70890 and now when he's basically Dusty in a suit is striking. 

I never envisioned Cody reaching these heights. Putting weight on definitely helped. His gruesome pec injury made him look tough and helped cement that he wasn't only a Ken doll. I know the tattoo shocked people, but again he needed to look tougher. Cody's earlier career failures have actually worked out because smart fans have seen him overcome those gimmicks and it has given him an underdog appeal (despite his "royal status"). Cody managed to get over outside of WWE, whereas Cena or Reigns got more polarized reactions as faces because they were seen as "too big to fail". Older fans loved Cody's dad and a lot of his goodwill is inherited, they want to see him succeed for Dusty. He's almost like Bruce Wayne in the suit. People who lost parents relate to him. Kids absolutely love Cody, he reminds me of Surfer Sting in his current iteration (Bleach blonde, the Sgt. Pepper jacket, colorful long tights). I'm probably not the first to draw that comparison.

John Cena is receiving a lot of crowd love nowadays, but at his peak he wasn't as universally over as a babyface as Cody is right now. 

There's a chance last week's Smackdown will have been the top-rated program on network TV for the week, which would be the first time in history a wrestling program achieved that feat. Those of us who thought the Bloodline storyline would run out of steam after Roman vanquished Sami and Cody were clearly mistaken. I suppose the case could be made that things would be at least as hot right now with Cody as champion, but counterfactuals are inherently unknowable. Then again, the family conflict aspect of the story does not appeal to me on any level, so that's probably a blind spot on my part.

Yeah, I haven't watched WWE since pre-pandemic and really still have no interest in watching anything they produce, but I've got to tip my hat to them for booking an angle with such impressive staying power, critical praise, and, to top it off, being responsible for turning things around business wise and delivering consistent big crowds and ratings 

Not sure what you do with Ivy Nile at this point, the Creeds were clearly primed for the main roster but she doesn't have much without them. Having the emotionless killing machine suddenly catching feelings seems like an abrupt character shift too.