Pro Wrestling Only

Thoughts about a 1991 game.

Ok, I'll join. Reassuring to know at least if it fizzles out the talent will be redistributed fairly or somebody else can take over the book.

22 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

Oh lord yeah! That would be extremely helpful. 

My OG Idea was to use the PWI Top 500 from 1996 as the list of talent and if anyone wanted to add they could as long as they have proof of activity for 1996.

What are the default rosters? I saw SmackDownHotel has a filter by specific month and Cagematch has the entire 1996 rosters collectively.

For example, Foley worked in WWF, IWA Japan and ECW in 1996.

5 minutes ago, MLB said:

Ok, I'll join. Reassuring to know at least if it fizzles out the talent will be redistributed fairly or somebody else can take over the book.

What are the default rosters? I saw SmackDownHotel has a filter by specific month and Cagematch has the entire 1996 rosters collectively.

I am working on that as we speak. I was using Cage match as the reference and then seeing who worked more than 10 matches for a promotion and doing it that way. The only thing that puts a wrench in that idea is if someone picks a promotion that either didn’t exist then or something like that cause there is no record for a roster for that promotion but we can work something out. 

Like for example SMW went out of business in 1995 but delaying and adding Cornette to the mix I don’t think would hurt anything but yet again no preset roster could be made so the build would have to be from the draft. 

Nothing to worry about I will make sure talent gets even distributed with a draft or see if anyone wants over the talent. So nothing to worry about there 

19 hours ago, Control21 said:

This is fine with me. RINGS was a bit different from the other promotions people will probably select, so it might be best that I set my own roster while allowing others to benefit from the draft.

I am in a similar boat as @Control21 with RINGS. I intend to start a promotion called W*ING USA that is a continuation of FMW/W*ING/IWA Japan into the United States to compete with ECW for the hardcore audience. The promotion would be co-owned by Kiyoshi Ibaragi and Atsushi Onita. I am requesting FMW to be my base roster under the W*ING USA banner. 

1 hour ago, MLB said:

I am in a similar boat as @Control21 with RINGS. I intend to start a promotion called W*ING USA that is a continuation of FMW/W*ING/IWA Japan into the United States to compete with ECW for the hardcore audience. The promotion would be co-owned by Kiyoshi Ibaragi and Atsushi Onita. I am requesting FMW to be my base roster under the W*ING USA banner. 

That works for me I don’t have any issues with that.

So honestly with everyone signed up what I am going to today is get the rosters ready as well a random generator for the promotion draft so we can get an order done and that way we can go ahead and get this started up pretty soon. 

22 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

That works for me I don’t have any issues with that.

So honestly with everyone signed up what I am going to today is get the rosters ready as well a random generator for the promotion draft so we can get an order done and that way we can go ahead and get this started up pretty soon. 

How does the draft work?

9 minutes ago, Mr JMML said:

How does the draft work?

So this is officially how the draft and everything will work.

We will host two drafts, and this game will work in phases. 

First Phase (Promotion Draft)

This will be the draft for promotions. I know a few of us have stated the promotion they would like to be. So please respect their wishes. As MLB has stated, he wants to run W*NG USA, and Control has stated he wants to run RINGS. So please respect their wishes and not select those promotions. So once the promotions are drafted between everyone else. That phase is completed as everyone knows what promotion they will be running.

Second Phase (Exemption Process)

The Second phase of this process will be the exemption process. This is where everyone can look at their roster and then decide who they want to keep to be exempt from the draft and automatically stay on their roster. Important to note that any talent that was not marked as exempt can be drafted by any promotion. So to keep the talent fair and evenly distributed every roster member that gets put on the exempt process will count as a pick for that round. So if you exempt all 15 roster members, then your first 15 rounds are completed, and you would start drafting on round 16. This is because if we have stars in the draft and somebody chooses a promotion that ceases to exist in real life. Like, let's say an AWA revival, or a Memphis promotion, or any promotion that somebody wants to create well they are not going to have a pre-made roster for it. So they will have nobody to exempt and will instead have to draft their roster. Again I am working on the pre-made rosters now. So everybody will have an idea of rosters before the Promotion Draft.

Third Phase (Talent Draft) 

So the third phase of this game is the Talent Draft now after the exemptions have been done. How we decide the order of the talent draft will be to rotate the order of the promotion draft. So if you got the last pick of the promotions, then you will get the first pick of the talent available. The draft will work in regular order. So it will look like this. That's right no snake this time around just because it would mean whoever got the first promotion would also get b2b picks which I don't consider fair. So just a normal style of draft if that's alright with everyone.

Round 1

Round 2

Now remember the exempt list. If you marked a superstar exempt, that superstar will replace your rounds pick. So this will have you use your exempts carefully and ensure you exempt those you don't want anyone else to have. You don't have to use all your exempts if you don't want but remember whoever is not exempted gets drafted. 

So foreign promotions can still participate in the draft if they choose as I won't cap their exempt list because they won't be going for the same talent as the rest of us, so if you run a Mexican or a Japanese Promotion or anything overseas. Then you get the exception of the exempt list because nobody will be going after your talent, but if your promotion is based in America/Canada, you have to abide by the 15 exempt slots. Unless you pick a promotion with no pre-made roster that case you will have to use all rounds of the draft to get your talent.

With this no cap on the exempt list for foreign talent. If you are happy with your pre-made roster and do not want to draft anyone, then you can use all your exempts for your roster size and then draft after the round if you choose or you can say I am happy with this roster and I will wait till the draft is completed and sign free agents. To give an example. If your promotion has 41 slots and you want to keep all 41 talent as a foreign promotion, you are welcome to do so and then can decide to compete in the draft after round 41 or wait till it's over to fill out your roster that way.

Now as for talent in the draft. We are going to do it like this EVERYBODY costs 1 Roster Spot. So if you let's say want Harlem Heat. Then Booker T and Stevie Ray must be drafted separately. Same with The Smoking Guns and all teams. The only exception to talent not costing a roster spot is the following. 

Owner - They come with your promotion.
Commentator 
Color Commentator
Backstage Interviewer
Ring Announcer
Manager - 3 spots don't count as roster spots but anything more than 3 counts as a roster spot.

We are also going to introduce what we are going to call the Ghost Drafter. So this drafter will be LowBlow as he kindly offered his services to help us with the draft. Cause who doesn't love a good draft? So his goal in the draft is to assist us in making a Free Agency and hold some guys for if new people want to join the game. Then if it looks like nobody is going to join us, that roster that he drafted will be its own particular draft that we will call a fresh-face draft, where that roster can be drafted. I do want to add something to that roster. Whoever he does, select. I am going to call it The Untouchable List. Now with this list whoever we decide doesn't get put into the free agency then this list will sit dormant till another writer wants to join, and they can select from it, but if nobody decides to join, then we will keep this list still until we want to host what's called a Fresh Face Draft. Where that talent will be drafted by the owners still participating, but one last thing about this list of talent he will draft and what will happen to it.

We are going to call this list, The Untouchable List. So I want everyone to have a chance to get a crack at this list so in case someone gets drafted that we wanted. So once a month an active owner can trade one of their talents for a talent on that list. So for example let's say that Lowblow drafted Eddie Guerrero. Well one of us is more than welcome to take a member of our roster but remember this is 1996 and Eddie wasn't a World Champion. He was great, but he was a mid-carder at best in WCW. So I could go. I will trade into the Untouchable List Hunter Hearst Hemsley for Eddie Guerrero. So Eddie would join my roster, and Hunter would take his place in the Untouchable List. Tag Teams apply the same way. You can trade two singles superstars or a tag team of equal value into the list for that particular talent. After we finish this draft, I will explain more about Untouchable List, but that's the basic rundown.

So that covers about everything. If anyone has any more questions or clarification, please let me know. I think I addressed everything.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:49 PM, Autistic Dragon said:

I've played three different games on this site, I'm currently in Dawn of War, I was in the 1981 game before it shut down and I'm kinda in the Battle of the Ages but that one's mostly dead. In addition to the ones I've played personally, I've seen several other games set in various periods, 2019, 93, 95 and another in 83. But one year that I think would serve as a good starting point that I haven't seen used is 1991. I feel this is something of a missed opportunity as looking back the wrestling landscape at this time looks quite interesting in hindsight. Here's a rundown of the various companies that operated at various points in the year.

WWF and WCW: established as the business leaders. The latter would have a rough year in 91 admittedly but that seems down to backstage drama instead of a lack of in-ring talent.

USWA: the latest iteration of Jerry Jerrett's legendary Memphis territory, the United States Wrestling Association represents a territory that has likely missed its chance at the big time but still had some good times ahead, such as producing the PWI's feud of the year in 92.

Smokey Mountain Wrestling: Widely considered a hidden gem of early to mid 90s wrestling, SMW was a throwback territory guided by Jim Cornette's traditionalist sensibilities. While you could argue such a promotion always had a limited shelflife, many agree it made excellent use of what time it did have.

Global Wrestling Federation: Long ridiculed for its infamous "Moon rock" angle, the GWF actually has a fascinating place in wrestling history, launching the careers of men like Raven, Cactus Jack, Marcus Bagwell (as the Handsome Stranger), The Patriot & Harlem Heat. It also enacted several innovations like acknowledging a wrestler's previous history or when a wrestler would leave for another promotion.

Universal Wrestling Federation: Herb Abraham's UWF was a shit show of epic proportion, but their was an undeniable level of talent and there's a sense that under more stable leadership it could have amounted to something special.

AWA: I know the American Wrestling Association was technically defunct but Verne Gagne ran two shows in Minnesota during the year as well as releasing a tape of Hulk Hogan highlights so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for a writer to revive it.

I may be overlooking some promotion or another but I think you get the point. 91 was an eventful year in pro wrestling history and would be a natural setting for any future game. Though to be clear i'm not proposing we start such a game at this exact time.

I know this thread took a significant turn from your original idea, but I think 1991 is actually a really good call. I can't commit to anything at the moment, but if you want to revisit this idea in the future, I would potentially be interested in giving Global a shot. The GWF is one of my guilty pleasure wrestling fandoms!

I also know in the past that @GeneJackson95 expressed interest in trying his hand at booking the insanity that was Abrams UWF.

52 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I know this thread took a significant turn from your original idea, but I think 1991 is actually a really good call. I can't commit to anything at the moment, but if you want to revisit this idea in the future, I would potentially be interested in giving Global a shot. The GWF is one of my guilty pleasure wrestling fandoms!

I also know in the past that @GeneJackson95 expressed interest in trying his hand at booking the insanity that was Abrams UWF.

It would be delightful to work with you both.