Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 08/21 - 08/27 OG Dragon Ball is peak action adventure stuff

KawadaSmile

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

Cody's promo had me cracking up with the thought of Terry Funk following Dusty around just to call him an egg sucking dog in public places.

I was secretly hoping for Cody to reveal that Terry got down on his knees that time and told Cody "YOUR MOTHER'S A WHORE".

3 hours ago, Cien Caras said:

Michael Cole had never even heard of Terry Funk until he showed up as Chainsaw Charlie

I'm glad you said something because Cole as this wrestling savant seems to have happened gradually over the 25 or whatever years he's been announcing. He got smart somehow, maybe Cole lurks here or took a learning course, but something changed and now he drops Hayabusa references in matches. I was questioning myself because now he's taking about going to Funk matches growing up, like wtf? I thought the knock on Cole at first was that he was a news anchor who didn't know shit about anything.

People hated Cole because he was doing exactly what Vince wanted an announcer to do. We got glimpses of Cole's real personality when he did voiceover work for those old WWF shows that had no commentary like the Shea Stadium show and he was nerding out about old wrestling.  Now that Vince is no longer in his ear he's free to let his fandom show. 

Cole was a WWWF wrestling fan since he was a kid. Years ago when the old WWE On Demand service aired the Shea Stadium card with Bruno vs Larry it was over dubbed by Foley and Cole. Away from Vince on a project McMahon didn't even know about, Cole was dropping all kinds of knowledge. The fact that he never did that on air for all those years is just because he was following McMahon's directions. 

9 minutes ago, Cien Caras said:

The supposedly new and unchained Michael Cole didn’t really sound any different, you can’t suddenly switch off after being a ventriloquist’s dummy for 25 years.

I am with you here, I paid a bit extra attention on Cole's commentary during Summerslam and he did not sound any different than he did a decade or whatever ago.