Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV - 10/16 - 10/22 - Pumpkin Spice TV For Everyone

Timbo Slice

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

Good lord, GUNTA is on another level. Am I crazy for thinking there could be big money in doing a Hogan/Warrior deal with him and Roman? The two unstoppable forces colliding would be incredible. 

Difficult. Both of them are heels that the crowd actually likes to boo, so maybe the dynamics would be a bit weird. The match against Reed, as great as it was, lacked the crows rallying behind the challenger, as he was mostly presented as a bad guy.

Tozawa/Otis/Gable vs New Day could be a humper. I love it that Chad is STILL gunning for the IC belt.

5 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Difficult. Both of them are heels that the crowd actually likes to boo, so maybe the dynamics would be a bit weird

Possibly, but Hogan/Warrior were the top two babyfaces at the time and that worked out pretty well. I think Roman and Gunther could pull it off just from the sheer force of their awesomeness. 

But face/face seems like a much easier dynamic, to me. It's like "let's go X, let's go Y" stuff. Heel/heel is way harder, because if the gut reaction is to go "boo X, boo Y", why care at all?

Like, no doubt it would be great, but I think some sort of tweak to their alignments would be necessary in order to maximize engagement.

You know I was thinking that calling the tag team battle royal the "Bada-Bing Bada-Boom" Battle Royal was an unfunny outdated Italian stereotype, but then the camera cut to a pulled back shot of Stacks and The Don in the corner of the studio watching the match while eating spaghetti and meatballs.  So now I am unofficially re-christening this The Spaghetti-And-Meatball Battle Royal.

5 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Heel/heel is way harder, because if the gut reaction is to go "boo X, boo Y", why care at all?

I think it only works if you're planning on turning one of them face. Then hope that the crowd's choice of de facto babyface matches the promotion's choice.

Edit: Trump vs Hilary was heel vs heel, and that worked out fine...

Setting aside the fact that Hogan/Warrior really didn't work that well (Hogan/Earthquake was actually a stronger program, which is why Summerslam nearly outdrew Mania on PPV that year), Roman/Gunther is just a bad matchup stylistically. People aren't into Roman's matches for the in-ring work. Forcing Gunther to slow himself down for him would be a crime against humanity.

8 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

It was brought to my attention that this week's Raw was only the third show Michael Cole has missed in 26 years with WWE. Whatever you may think about him as an announcer, that's some incredible commitment to the job. I don't think I could deal with Vince yelling in my headset for 20 minutes, let alone 20 years.

I will die on the hill that Michael Cole is a tremendous announcer when left on his own devices. His face has reached nearly "career renaissance Tony Schiavone" levels of happiness once Vince wasn't the main creative voice anymore. His bromance with Pat McAfee is pure joy, two dudes enjoying the fuck out of their job just made the product so much better by itself.  Even the stuff people didn't like of his was just him playing his role exactly the way Vince wanted him to.