Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 4/10-4/13 Thatll put butts in seats

sek69

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, my takeaways from that footage were - "There was far more talking during that confrontation than we had heard" and "Really, that was the 'fight'?" I am not even kidding, I have seen bigger fights at the law firm I work in. I understand the Punk-TK footage confrontation that was not shown here was the reason for Punk getting fired, and I would really hope so, because I cannot imagine someone getting fired in professional wrestling over that weaksauce "fight".

Also, Punk's guillotine grip is really bad. How he has been doing BJJ for so many years and still doesn't know these fundamentals is beyond me 

Well, we were asking all week what was the point of showing the footage and trying our best to come up with 1 scenario were it would be useful or positive to do it.

And in the end, it was as dumb as we all thought it was going to be. It didn't add anything to the FTR match, it didn't make people care, I'd be legit shocked if it made a tiny difference in ratings. Just a real dumb ass WCW move.

They actually did a good job of making it make sense for them to show the footage in the context of their match vs FTR. They had to deal with their buddy being a dipshit during their biggest show ever and it makes sense they'd be distracted in storyline because of it.

Plus it set up FTR cutting a fire promo in response that put over their match as an even bigger deal and surely had some real feelings attached to it as well to really add some flavor.

I still don't think they HAD to do this, but this was the best possible way they could have done it.

Will Ospereay, WHY are you using TV time to respond to shots someone took in some interview?!?! Who cares wtf he said?? As soon as you start doing that, you are letting the other person dictate the terms of engagement, letting them take the initiative while you are doing nothing more than responding to other people. It is absolutely pointless and counter-productive 

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Wrestling companies taking shots at each other is a tale as old as time and it's part of the fun IMO.

Not when one company is taking passing shots in interviews while the other is dedicating TV time to respond 

18 minutes ago, MoS said:

All right, my takeaways from that footage were - "There was far more talking during that confrontation than we had heard" and "Really, that was the 'fight'?" I am not even kidding, I have seen bigger fights at the law firm I work in. I understand the Punk-TK footage confrontation that was not shown here was the reason for Punk getting fired, and I would really hope so, because I cannot imagine someone getting fired in professional wrestling over that weaksauce "fight".

Also, Punk's guillotine grip is really bad. How he has been doing BJJ for so many years and still doesn't know these fundamentals is beyond me 

I've rewound the footage a bunch and it looks like Perry went for a takedown and Punk just used the guillotine grip to hold him in place. I'm also pretty sure Punk's "lunge" at Tony was the part where he leaned over and presumably shit talked the company to Tony, who was sitting behind the monitors, before storming off. I don't think this makes Tony's claim of fearing for his life look good.

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

They actually did a good job of making it make sense for them to show the footage in the context of their match vs FTR. They had to deal with their buddy being a dipshit during their biggest show ever and it makes sense they'd be distracted in storyline because of it.

Plus it set up FTR cutting a fire promo in response that put over their match as an even bigger deal and surely had some real feelings attached to it as well to really add some flavor.

I still don't think they HAD to do this, but this was the best possible way they could have done it.

The best possible outcome was showing footage of two people that aren't in the company having an incredibly boring scrap backstage to give their match a convoluted reason to be "bigger"? Nah man, that was a waste of time and it's just gonna give people more ammo to make AEW look 2nd rate and desperate.

They keep losing the perception battle and doing shit that makes them look worse.

Just now, fxnj said:

I've rewound the footage a bunch and it looks like Perry went for a takedown and Punk just used the guillotine grip to hold him in place. I'm also pretty sure Punk's "lunge" at Tony was the part where he leaned over and presumably shit talked the company to Tony, who was sitting behind the monitors, before storming off. I don't think this makes Tony's claim of fearing for his life look good.

From what has been reported, there was a separate incident between Punk and Tony that led to his firing, which was not shown here and which might not exist on tape. I agree with you that if this was the extent of the confrontation between them, then TK's claims after the incident are completely laughable 

2 minutes ago, MoS said:

Not when one company is taking passing shots in interviews while the other is dedicating TV time to respond 

A large part of how ECW got built as the cool alternative was Paul E, either directly or through proxies, cutting promos on TV about how WCW and WWF were all a bunch of pussies and I expect this is what Tony is going for since he was an ECW mark.

9 minutes ago, fxnj said:

I've always thought the Tony fearing for his life stuff was lawyer speak to justify Punk's dismissal. But whatever happened for them to come up with that phrasing wasn't in the footage shown tonight. At least that's what people in AEW have told reporters (for whatever that's worth).

And I have no clue what Perry was doing. He kept adjusting his hair during the whole convo with Punk and all of a sudden Punk shoves him and then goes for another shove (or a punch?), Perry ducks and then gets put in a shitty guillotine.

Man, I'm sure Jericho's scraps with Goldberg and Brock were better than this :lol:

4 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

But whatever happened for them to come up with that phrasing was in the footage shown tonight. At least that's what people in AEW have told reporters (for whatever that's worth).

I have read different - see my response to fxnj. It should be clearer when the Observer comes out