Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 4/10-4/13 Thatll put butts in seats

sek69

It didn't land well, but I get what TK was trying. The Bucks used the footage as meta trolls but kept it in the context of storyline shit (FTR's good friend CM Punk causing a commotion distracting them from their wrestler roles, causing them to lose the match, maybe FTR was behind it all along....), and FTR's promo seemed pretty definitive why the fuck is anyone talking about this shit still (including Punk), we're all moving on, we're the better team and will prove it in the ring, but the angle only happening because Punk got TK spiraling from that Ariel interview is a self inflicted L for sure. 

I'd imagine it won't be mentioned again, and everyone will not give a shit when OkadaBucks vs FTR/PAC and Bucks vs FTR rule. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way around it - it was a bad segment and a bad decision, as everyone predicted. 

But I think last night's Dynamite was actually proof that the company is really dying not from a single bad segment, but from a thousand cuts.

I didn't finish the show, so maybe the second hour was miraculously great and, if so, I'll admit I'm wrong but I thought the first 60 minutes were among the worst the company has had in a long time.

- Edge/Penta did not click with me and certainly didn't need 20 minutes. I respect Edge for wanting to go out and put on hard-hitting wrestling matches that showcase his passion...but his strength has never been to go out and do 20-minute, straight-up babyface vs. babyface matches. If you made a top 20 Edge matches list, there wouldn't be a single one with that formula. If you made a top 50, I don't think you'd find one there. He's just not that guy. 

- I have no idea what Jericho is doing or thinking, but I'd put not telling Jericho to ditch the Lionheart Revisited gimmick as another mistake by TK. Jericho at least used to have an entrance that was over. Now he doesn't even have that. And the partnership with HOOK has got to be the 3rd or 4th time now that we've seen Jericho do this sort of storyline (with Sammy, with MJF kinda, with Omega sorta). If Jericho wants to do a retread of a bad gimmick from his past, he should do the corny one from 2007 when he wore the cheap sparkly vest, had the short hair, and looked like a wedding DJ. That would be somewhat funny. 

- AEW gets shit on for having too many good wrestling matches, but the audience that is tuning in - a not-so-small 700k fans - is tuning in for that. This show kicked off with a 4-5 minute beatdown segment, followed by an Edge/Penta match that overstayed its welcome, and then we didn't get another wrestling match for 30+ minutes. At some point, TK needs to realize that a good wrestling match doesn't necessarily mean it needs to go 2 commercial breaks and that it doesn't need to be a squash either. For someone with an "encyclopedic knowledge" of pro-wrestling, this guy has seemingly never heard of an 8-minute match. 

The idea that it makes Punk looks cool is completely ludicrous. The guy clearly initiated the physicality. He's obviously an unprofessional douche and that's a pattern (the other day on Jarrett's podcast they were talking about an altercation between Punk and Teddy Hart back in early TNA, and Punk basically was the same unprofessional guy initiating physicality, and really, think about that, being *more* unprofesional than Teddy Hart).

Apart from that : TERRIBLE idea all around, and it does reeks of WCW 99 booking, when all has been said and done. They just should have ignored the interview, which really no one really cared about anyway (obvious with the lack of reaction last week to Copeland rah rah speech). Ospreay should not have replied to Levesque either. WWE had their biggest Mania ever and AEW can't pack any serious houses right now. Read the room in term of perception.

Of course the public discourse should be about all the awful thing WWE has been and may be stil about (Saudi show in two months, hi) instead of shitty-ass angles like this, but since success erases everything, it won't be. Trying to punch up while you're weaker and failing at it is just a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

Just focus on being a healthy alternative #2 and deliver what AEW fans (overall) actually want. Great pro-wrestling, cross-promotion dream matches, funky randomizers and innovative stuff. Leave the rest of it behind.

31 minutes ago, El-P said:

The idea that it makes Punk looks cool is completely ludicrous. The guy clearly initiated the physicality. He's obviously an unprofessional douche and that's a pattern (the other day on Jarrett's podcast they were talking about an altercation between Punk and Teddy Hart back in early TNA, and Punk basically was the same unprofessional guy initiating physicality, and really, think about that, being *more* unprofesional than Teddy Hart).

Apart from that : TERRIBLE idea all around, and it does reeks of WCW 99 booking, when all has been said and done. They just should have ignored the interview, which really no one really cared about anyway (obvious with the lack of reaction last week to Copeland rah rah speech). Ospreay should not have replied to Levesque either. WWE had their biggest Mania ever and AEW can't pack any serious houses right now. Read the room in term of perception.

Of course the public discourse should be about all the awful thing WWE has been and may be stil about (Saudi show in two months, hi) instead of shitty-ass angles like this, but since success erases everything, it won't be. Trying to punch up while you're weaker and failing at it is just a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

Just focus on being a healthy alternative #2 and deliver what AEW fans (overall) actually want. Great pro-wrestling, cross-promotion dream matches, funky randomizers and innovative stuff. Leave the rest of it behind.

Well said!

On 4/11/2024 at 8:17 AM, pmo said:

The Bucks are a cancer.   Sorry.  The sooner Tony realizes that these are the wrestling of Craig Kline and they run them off the better.  Really it’s the only way for AEW to survive.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/09/fa-fulham-assistant-director-allegations

this doesn’t have the whole story but the quote is a tell for me

“My friend Tony & I built a paper trail and tried to report & do right for years, us both death threatened to not [sic]. So much fraud in football, FA where are you? So much child endangerment & exploitation. I have a lot of evidence, authorities, please request”

Now here’s the rub not only was this proven to be incorrect but the guy ended up getting in legal trouble.  It’s sounds a lot like the way the Bucks sound about AEW.  Sooner Tony, Shad, or anyone in power realizes this the better.

Lmao come on man

On 4/11/2024 at 3:12 PM, strobogo said:

I'd imagine it won't be mentioned again, and everyone will not give a shit when OkadaBucks vs FTR/PAC and Bucks vs FTR rule. 

Well, there is that. We live in the TikTok era. Things get washed away by the seconds in term of public interests and perception, and that includes drama. Hell, the Punk interview, no one really cared apart from people on X ex Twitter (gotta love that) and obviously Coach TK, sadly. Haterz gonna be haterz anyway.

The one thing that actually kinda worked in the entire thing, was babyfaces FTR going like "Jeeez, can we move the fuck on already ?", because that's the overall felling of both people in the company and the audience. MOVE ON. FOCUS.

Gotta say though, Chris Hero's reaction after the incident is kinda hilarious. 

Oh yeah, and Mina Shirakawa is a treasure. She sure took that US trip and made a star out of herself, from the Stardom show to the ROH show to Dynamite, she got herself OVER.

Claudio/Danielson vs Hobbs/Fletcher was a dope mess of a tag team match. The blown spots kinda fed into the chaos they were going for so it didn't really bother me much.

And if they let Claudio and Ospreay have 15 minutes to do whatever they want, it might be a better match than anything on Dynasty, which has a ridiculously stacked card, lol.

I wonder if we get BCC vs Don Callis Family as the yearly Anarchy in the Arena match at DoN.