Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 4/10-4/13 Thatll put butts in seats

sek69

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Yo, the crowd doesn't give a single fuck about this beatdown, lol.

They have less than 3,000 fans in a building that seats 13,500. Even if the fans were hot (which they really don’t seem to be) it would probably still sound dead in there. And this show really isn’t giving them anything to cheer about, either.

1 minute ago, The Thread Killer said:

They have less than 3,000 fans in a building that seats 13,500. Even if the fans were hot (which they really don’t seem to be) it would probably still sound dead in there. And this show really isn’t giving them anything to cheer about, either.

I was wondering how big the building was.

24 minutes ago, sek69 said:

A large part of how ECW got built as the cool alternative was Paul E, either directly or through proxies, cutting promos on TV about how WCW and WWF were all a bunch of pussies and I expect this is what Tony is going for since he was an ECW mark.

ECW was never even close to profitable, so I hope TK would know better than to adopt them as a business model.

One of the things I've never understood about AEW is Tony's insistence on never making the fans know who of the company's stars will be every week in each show. Tonight they had Mercedes, Ospreay and Okada and it would've been impossible to know in advance. 

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

I was wondering how big the building was.

The building normally seats 13,500.

The last time AEW ran the building, they drew 4,168.

This time they had it set up for 3,312 (they had the “hard camera” side blocked off with no fans at all) but they still only drew 2,971.

Tonight, they were basically trying to just sell floor seats, and the lower level on one side of the building, and they still couldn’t do it.

Oh dear. What a way to practically undo the goodwill they’ve had with me after a great 2024 up to now. Maybe the ratings will be great but I’m not convinced this is a good idea at all and it feels like a gigantic self-sabotage 

1 hour ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Terrible decision, this

Feels a bit like mid-South running videos of Bundy/JYD etc losing after they jumped to WWF. Borderline fake Diesel territory 

It immediately made me think of JYD stuff when I heard they were going to do it, considering the motivation for both was clearly "promoter pissed about losing their top draw".

Also I think people keep forgetting folks were mad at the fake Diesel stuff even before the "reveal" since it was clearly going to be bait and switch bullshit no matter what happened. WWF was making the fans not tuned into the backstage news think it was actually going to be Kevin Nash and Scott Hall showing up, to the point of having respected and trusted announcer JR be the one to make the announcement. It wouldn't have been obvious to those fans that JR was setting up a heel turn

Chris Hero and HOOK have the best reactions in the footage. 

Loved how Samoa Joe did not even look up throughout the confrontation until Punk was already trying to put the guillotine on JB

I don't think it was quite Russo tier stuff, but it was just a step or two away. The FTR promo wrapped it back around to a wrestling promo and moving on from all Punk bullshit, but the whole thing seemed needless for all involved. And clearly was just because Tony was mad at Punk's shit talk over WM week and that spiraling into a bunch of shots at AEW during the week. 

Using the All In footage as part of an angle makes the Elite's refusal to work with Punk look even worse in retrospect. And if airing the footage was intended even partially to embarrass Punk, it failed miserably. He wasn't shown up at all in the scuffle, nor did he look so out of control that he clearly had to be fired. To top it all off, the crowd was chanting for the guy the company was trying to bury. Just a massive self-own all around.

The Bucks are a cancer.   Sorry.  The sooner Tony realizes that these are the wrestling of Craig Kline and they run them off the better.  Really it’s the only way for AEW to survive.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/09/fa-fulham-assistant-director-allegations

this doesn’t have the whole story but the quote is a tell for me

“My friend Tony & I built a paper trail and tried to report & do right for years, us both death threatened to not [sic]. So much fraud in football, FA where are you? So much child endangerment & exploitation. I have a lot of evidence, authorities, please request”

Now here’s the rub not only was this proven to be incorrect but the guy ended up getting in legal trouble.  It’s sounds a lot like the way the Bucks sound about AEW.  Sooner Tony, Shad, or anyone in power realizes this the better.

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

It immediately made me think of JYD stuff when I heard they were going to do it, considering the motivation for both was clearly "promoter pissed about losing their top draw".

Also I think people keep forgetting folks were mad at the fake Diesel stuff even before the "reveal" since it was clearly going to be bait and switch bullshit no matter what happened. WWF was making the fans not tuned into the backstage news think it was actually going to be Kevin Nash and Scott Hall showing up, to the point of having respected and trusted announcer JR be the one to make the announcement. It wouldn't have been obvious to those fans that JR was setting up a heel turn

Not only did they have JR announce it on the show, but they had him claim it was the biggest story of his 20 year career and for all the details they needed to call his hotline. In fairness, the 'casuals' would have known ahead of time they weren't going to see the return of Nash and Hall because Monsoon revealed as much beforehand and called JR's credibility into question. Somehow JR accepted all of the blame for what was a lameduck idea.

Between that, LiveWire, Pillman's gun and the (original) Sunny tape, the proto-Attitude stuff was incredibly lame and desperate. Thank god for Bret and Austin.