Pro Wrestling Only

WWE DVDs Planned for 2008

sek69

I have my doubts the Starrcade set will come to pass, at least this year.

WWE does not have it listed in their upcoming list:

http://www.wwe.com/shop/dvd/upcomingdvds

Also, KOCH Canada, which is the Canadian distributor for WWE DVDs, also doesn't have it:

http://www.kochcan.com/05_catalogue/result...p;Submit=Search

Considering it was planned for July 8, I'm thinking it got nixed for the Flair one, although I agree with something Loss has always said: they don't saturate the DVD market enough and probably could've released both.

(I realize the Starrcade set is still there on Amazon, but that's the same site that still has the Savage and Sting DVDs too.)

The SummerSlam Anthology is definitely a go.

He also had some matches against Tiger Mask during that time, I do believe.

That said, Curt Hennig was a very geeky babyface and I don't think he really got all that good in the ring until maybe 1985, and it took the heel turn to really make him consistently good.

I'd compare early Curt Hennig to Brian Adias. He had better matches than Adias early on, no doubt, but he was working with some really talented guys from the start.

I wonder how much AWA footage will be on the Hennig DVD? I'd love to see the infamous Bock match on there, and assume it will be. Didn't Hennig work some strange WWF bouts in the early 80's opposite Eddie Gilbert? They won't make the cut, but they might be interesting.

I don't see the draw with Bockwinkel making the set. Too long, taking up too much space. The Hennig win from Super Clash II might make it, though.

Other than that, a title defense against someone (Gagne, Wahoo maybe) and clips of the title loss to Lawler are probably going to be as much as we can hope for in terms of AWA content.

Just a guess but I don't see them cracking the vault open to get AWA stuff for this one. I hope I am wrong.

I think the Bock draw is possible.

I imagine the doc will be an hour and a half, roughly.

Assuming the set will be two discs, that leaves you with roughly 4.5 hours of extras. The vignettes sek and I discussed just above won't take up that much time, and maybe someone will refresh my memory, but I can't think of THAT MANY Hennig promos anywhere that are eye-catching. That leaves a lot of time for matches. It may mean some things not being in chronological order (like the Jake set they did) but there's room for the Hennig-Bock draw. SuperClash II wasn't bad, but it's already on their AWA set, and they've made a point of avoiding overlaps the last while or so.

• 1 month later...

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect

SummerSlam (26/08/91)

Mr. Perfect vs. Shawn Michaels

SummerSlam (30/08/93)

Curt Hennig vs. Bret Hart

Uncensored (15/03/98)

Most of the matches are obvious gimmes, except for these three. The 91 match was already on Bret's set. I would've put their match from KOTR 93 on here instead, I always liked that one better anyway. The HBK match is one that is almost universally remembered as being disappointing, partly because of Hennig's back problems, so its inclusion here is strange. Especially since on some Colisseum video they had a much better encounter when Perfect was a heel and Shawn was a Rocker. And the WCW match... well, I guess they had to throw one on there somewhere, and all those Hennig/Windham vs. Benoit/Malenko matches were obviously right out. Still, they could've included at least one of his matches with Flair on here instead, considering Bret's already on here.

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall vs. Steve Regal & Jimmy Garvin

AWA Championship Wrestling (26/11/85)

I've never seen this match, the AWA shows running on ESPN Classic picked up with Hennig and Hall already as champs. Was this any good?

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match with Special Referee Roddy Piper

Mr. Perfect vs. The Texas Tornado

Madison Square Garden (24/11/90)

Who would have bet on Roddy Piper being the last man standing in that group?

Well, Kerry was a Von Erich. Hennig was a guy who didn't have such a rep at the time, but with hindsight really looked like the most disturbingly steroid bloated wrestler ever when you look at him pre and post Mr. Perfect.

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall vs. Steve Regal & Jimmy Garvin

AWA Championship Wrestling (26/11/85)

I've never seen this match, the AWA shows running on ESPN Classic picked up with Hennig and Hall already as champs. Was this any good?

If it's the Winnipeg match, it's decent. Non-title affair. If not, I think they had a bout in Atlantic City. Not bad, might have also been non-title..can't remember off hand.

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect

SummerSlam (26/08/91)

Mr. Perfect vs. Shawn Michaels

SummerSlam (30/08/93)

Curt Hennig vs. Bret Hart

Uncensored (15/03/98)

Most of the matches are obvious gimmes, except for these three. The 91 match was already on Bret's set. I would've put their match from KOTR 93 on here instead, I always liked that one better anyway. The HBK match is one that is almost universally remembered as being disappointing, partly because of Hennig's back problems, so its inclusion here is strange. Especially since on some Colisseum video they had a much better encounter when Perfect was a heel and Shawn was a Rocker. And the WCW match... well, I guess they had to throw one on there somewhere, and all those Hennig/Windham vs. Benoit/Malenko matches were obviously right out. Still, they could've included at least one of his matches with Flair on here instead, considering Bret's already on here.

The Hart/Henning match from KOTR 93 was the better match IMO as well, but it's also on the Bret Hart DVD.

I would have liked to have seen the Hennig/Tito Santana match from Saturday Night's Main Event... gives you one of the matches during his first IC title reign and one that was quite good.

I also would have liked to have seen the full Perfect/Flair "loser leaves town" match from Raw. The one on the Raw 15th anniversary set had a segment cut, if I'm not mistaken.

• 3 months later...

Upcoming for the holiday season

November 11th, 2008 WWE: Viva La Raza - The Legacy of Eddie Guerrero

3 disc sets certain stores will have exclusive bonus disc of the raw or smackdown tribute episodes, unfortunately formw aht i'v read unless u buy from silvervision.uk's website you will have to but 2 copies from different stores to get both tribute specials.

November 25th, 2008 WWE: History of Intercontinental Championship

3 disc release jsut in time for black friday

December 9th, 2008 WWE: Best of Kane

3 discs

December 23rd, 2008 WWE Edge- A Decade of Decadence

3discs last minute christmas release

January 13,th 2009 WWE: Best of Starcade

After numerous pushbacks this will finally be released. i expect thsi to pretty much be a cut and past of the top 25 starcade matches they will be showing on WWE 24/7 next mnoth for the 25th anniversary of the event.

January 27th, 2009 - WWE: Legends of Wrestling

I expect this might get pushed back a montha nd will tie into teh video game and WM25. This will probably be similar to the Superstars of the 80's dvd set from a few years abck.

Man, WWE DVDs certainly hit the wall didn't they? I know that not every release can be a winner, but a 3 disc best of Kane set? A Legends set that will probably be the episodes that run on 24/7 with some sort of bridging? Not to mention they stopped doing the awesome documentary + extra disc or two full of matches format and replaced it with random people offering brief comments between matches. Sets like the Jake Roberts and Dusty Rhodes were made significantly better by their respective documentaries, and now watching a WWE DVD set it just screams "here's some shit we threw together, enjoy".

if the legends of wrestling disc is the round table discussions from 24/7 it may not be a huge seller compared to other dvd sets but i know a few people who would buy it, and I've heard a lot of people who don't have 24/7 say if they got put out on dvd they would get them.

Guest LShunter

Man, WWE DVDs certainly hit the wall didn't they? I know that not every release can be a winner, but a 3 disc best of Kane set? A Legends set that will probably be the episodes that run on 24/7 with some sort of bridging? Not to mention they stopped doing the awesome documentary + extra disc or two full of matches format and replaced it with random people offering brief comments between matches. Sets like the Jake Roberts and Dusty Rhodes were made significantly better by their respective documentaries, and now watching a WWE DVD set it just screams "here's some shit we threw together, enjoy".

The Kane set could be entertaining if done like the UT "Tombstone" set. I'm sure he's had enough decent (or at least perversely entertaining) matches to pad out three discs sandwiched in between hilarious attempts to explain his backstory.

EDIT: Just found the info about this release.

Disc 1

WWE’s Worst Nightmare

We Both Love Pain

Special Challenge Match

Mankind vs. Kane (with Paul Bearer)

Survivor Series November 9, 1997

Big Brother, Big Brother

Undertaker vs. Kane (with Paul Bearer)

WrestleMania XIV March 29, 1998

Hell, Fire & Brimstone

Inferno Match

Undertaker vs. Kane (with Paul Bearer)

In Your House: Unforgiven April 26, 1998

The One Thing I Love More Than Fire

First Blood Match for the WWE Championship

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Kane (with Paul Bearer)

King of the Ring June 28, 1998

The End Always Justifies The Means

WWE Tag Team Championship Match

X-Pac / Kane vs. Jeff Jarrett / Owen Hart

RAW April 5, 1999

The Perfect Punishment

Steel Cage Match

Kane (with Tori) vs. X-Pac

Armageddon December 12, 1999

Nothing Can Save You

Last Man Standing Match

Chris Jericho vs. Kane

Armageddon December 10, 2000

Hot & Cold Relationship

Triple Threat Tag Team Championship Match

Edge / Christian vs. Undertaker / Kane vs. Dudley Boyz

No Way Out February 25, 2001

Extras

• The Undertaker’s Secret

• Kane vs. Pete Rose

Disc 2

WWE’s Worst Nightmare

I Like Weapons

WWE Intercontinental Championship Chain Match

Triple H vs. Kane

Judgment Day May 20, 2001

The Olympic Flame Burns Out

Kane vs. Kurt Angle

WrestleMania X8 March 17, 2002

What Torture Really Means

World Heavyweight Championship vs. Intercontinental Championship Match

Triple H vs. Kane

No Mercy October 20, 2002

Oil & Blood

Rob Van Dam / Kane vs. Chris Jericho / Christian

RAW January 6, 2003

My True Self

Steel Cage Match

Rob Van Dam vs. Kane

RAW September 8, 2003

Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Last Man Standing Match

Shane McMahon vs. Kane

Unforgiven September 21, 2003

Sending Him to Hell

Ambulance Match / The Final Encounter

Shane McMahon vs. Kane

Survivor Series November 16, 2003

My Appetite for Agony

“Til Death Do Us Part Matchâ€

Matt Hardy vs. Kane

SummerSlam August 15, 2004

Extras

• Kane is Ready…Are You Ready?

Smackdown! March 28, 2002

• Chicks Dig the Mask

RAW September 30, 2002

• Kane is Quite Disturbed about the Current Situation

RAW December 26, 2002

• Jim Ross Interviews Kane

RAW July 14, 2003

Kane & Lita Get Married

RAW August 23, 2004

Disc 3

WWE’s Worst Nightmare

Destroying a Sacred Icon

No Disqualification Match

Shawn Michaels vs. Kane

Unforgiven September 12, 2004

It Is My Fault

No Holds Barred Match

Kane vs. Gene Snitsky

RAW January 17, 2005

Pain and Torture

Steel Cage Match

Kane vs. Edge

RAW July 18, 2005

It’s Never Over

Stretcher Match

Kane vs. Edge

RAW July 25, 2005

The Big Red Monster

Kane vs. Umaga

RAW September 18, 2006

Zest for Absolute Carnage

Undertaker / Kane vs. King Booker / Finlay

SmackDown! December 22, 2006

Childhood Dreams

Kane vs. King Booker

No Way Out February 18, 2007

Unadulterated Mayhem & Violence

First Ever Belfast Brawl

Kane vs. Finlay

SmackDown! September 14, 2007

I Will Never Forget

Champion vs. Champion

Kane vs. Undertaker

SmackDown! April 4, 2008

Extras

• 24-Man Battle Royal for ECW Championship Title Shot

WrestleMania XXIV March 30, 2008

• ECW Championship Match

Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero

WrestleMania XXIV March 30, 2008

Well yeah, it'll probably suck.

Here's the listing for Edge's DVD.

DISC ONE

* Breakdown September 27, 1998 - Edge vs. Owen Hart

* Terri Invitational Tournament- Ladder Match - New Brood vs. Edge & Christian - No Mercy October 17, 1999

* Triangle Ladder Match for the World Tag Team Championship - Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian - WrestleMania April 2, 2000

* WWE Intercontinental Championship: Lance Storm vs. Edge - SummerSlam August 19, 2001

* Championship Unification Match: IC vs. US - Edge vs. Test - Survivor Series November 18, 2001

* Edge vs. Mr. Perfect - Sunday Night Heat March 3, 2002

* Hair vs. Hair Match: Kurt Angle vs. Edge - Judgment Day May 19, 2002

* Steel Cage Match: Kurt Angle vs. Edge - SmackDown! May 30, 2002

* World Tag Team Championship: Billy & Chuck vs. Edge & Hollywood Hulk Hogan - SmackDown! July 4, 2002 - Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero - Unforgiven September 22, 2002

Extras

• The Totally Awesome Best of Edge & Christian

DISCO TWO

* Injury – Return! - WWE Intercontinental Championship: Randy Orton vs. Edge - Vengeance July 11, 2004

* Street Fight: Shawn Michaels vs. Edge - RAW February 28, 2005

* Gold Rush Tournament Final: Kane vs. Edge - RAW May 16, 2005

* Street Fight: Matt Hardy vs. Edge - RAW August 29, 2005

* WWE Championship: John Cena vs. Edge - New Year's Revolution January 8, 2006

* Hardcore Match: Mick Foley vs. Edge - WrestleMania 22 April 2, 2006

* Terry Funk, Tommy Dreamer & Beulah vs. Mick Foley, Edge & Lita - ECW: One Night Stand June 11, 2006

* Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship: Rob Van Dam vs. John Cena vs. Edge - RAW July 3, 2006

Extras

*Adam Copeland vs. Christian (WWF tryout) - Cornwall, ON November 10, 1997 - Commentary By: Matt Striker & Edge

* Intercontinental Championship: Jeff Jarrett vs. Edge (Never before seen Edge surprise- even to him - IC title win) - Toronto, ON July 24, 1999 - Commentary By: Matt Striker & Edge

DISC THREE

* WWE Championship: Edge vs. John Cena - SummerSlam August 20, 2006

* Money in the Bank Qualifying Match: Rob Van Dam vs. Edge - RAW February 19, 2007

* Randy Orton vs. Edge - RAW April 30, 2007

* Money in the Bank – Again! - World Heavyweight Championship Match: Undertaker vs. Edge - SmackDown! May 11, 2007

* Last Chance World Heavyweight Championship: Edge vs. Batista - Vengeance June 24, 2007

* World Heavyweight Championship: Edge vs. Rey Mysterio - Royal Rumble January 27, 2008

* Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match For the Vacant World Heavyweight Championship: Undertaker vs. Edge - One Night Stand June 1, 2008

* Hell in a Cell: Undertaker vs. Edge - SummerSlam August 17, 2008

A lot of Edge's best stuff was sadly left off, due to the involvement of Benoit.

That's still a good line up. Cool to have his tryout match and first IC title win as part of the extras. Not sure about including the Hennig match. I know guys like to commemorate their fallen brethren, but if the match wasn't given any time and Hennig looked bad in the match it shouldn't have been included, as it does more to tarnish his legacy than help it. The lack of Benoit is expected and understandable.

Some six years later, Hogan and Edge as tag champs is still too strange for me to get my head around.

i never really though about it until now as it made a lot of sence to me as All American super patriot Hulk Hogan wins the tag titles on the fourth of July, then jsut now out of the blue it hits me, wait Edge is Canadian. Though it is fun to watch to see Edge like a kid in a candy store winning the tag titles with someone he loved watching growing up.

Guest LShunter

Some six years later, Hogan and Edge as tag champs is still too strange for me to get my head around.

i never really though about it until now as it made a lot of sence to me as All American super patriot Hulk Hogan wins the tag titles on the fourth of July, then jsut now out of the blue it hits me, wait Edge is Canadian. Though it is fun to watch to see Edge like a kid in a candy store winning the tag titles with someone he loved watching growing up.

Yeah, it was fun to watch knowing how much Edge idolised Hogan. Same reason it was cool watching him win the title for the first time and really funny watching him try to make out with Lita at the same time he's crying out of happiness.