1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't know yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

FEEL THE BACKLASH

MAY 2, 2005

Now that Backlash is history, what?s next for RAW?s Superstars?

Y2J fought valiantly and seemed poised to capture his eighth Intercontinental Championship when he locked in the Walls of Jericho on Shelton Benjamin. But the athletic youngster battled through and earned a big win over the Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla. After the match, a disgusted Jericho refused a ringside interview and stormed up the ramp. Where does Jericho go from here, and what will he have to say, if anything, tonight on RAW?

Trish Stratus was weary of the Big Red Monster, Kane, but she didn?t expect to suffer damage at the hands of Viscera. Big Vis crushed Trish with a big splash following his Backlash match, and the Women?s Champion had to be helped by ringside EMTs. What is the condition of the Women?s Champion? Watch RAW for more on this.

Triple H?s fury could not be contained following his defeat at the hands of World Heavyweight Champion Batista. Where does Evolution go from here, and what will The Cerebral Assassin have to say following the result at Backlash?

Tune in tonight (9/8 CT; Spike TV) to feel all the Backlash fallout.

I didn't get to watch Backlash last night. I haven't watched Raw in three weeks now but I have been following via message forums. I tried to watch Backlash with Anvil and a couple of other friends last night but we're having PPV problems here in town. We couldn't buy the UFC PPV, we couldn't get the Pride PPV and now Backlash didn't work. :(

Anyway, I might actually watch the show tonight. The SA wrestling thread is hard to keep up with because it moves so fast plus I want to see all the fallout from Backlash. I'm curious if Hassan & Daivari are dead in the water since they jobbed out last night. I'm curious if Big Vis will be on TV again. There's just a lot of questions.

Guest Some Guy

They just did a Candido tribute and that was all I was really looking for. Strange that they stuck it in the show at 9:43, but at least it was there. It was even an ECW picture, not "Skip."

Guest Some Guy

Wrestling sequence to start, which Shelton gets the better of. HBK is starting to act heelish and the announcers are selling it. Shawn, so far has been putting Shelton over by going to the ropes twice off the mat wrestling and avoiding the third arm drag. I hate commercials during matches.

And we're back...Shelton counters a back drop superplex for two. They are selling as though the match is 40 minutes in and then trdae shots before Shelton hits a Samoan Drop. More punches traded, Shelton wins and hits a flying forearm followed by a back breaker for two.

HBK takes over with a kick, blocking a back drop, flying forearm and a kip up after a 7 count by the ref. Sheltong kips up and counters a Manhatten drop with a sunset flip. HBK is frustrated. Chops in the corner by Shawn. Stinger splash by SHelton. HBK counters the Exploder with a backdrop. Shelton blocks Sweet Chin Music and hits his spin kick for 2 7/8. Shetlon goes for a superplex, HBk fights it off and hit the elbow off the top. Shelton sells it like a sledghammer. HBK up and tuning uo the band, selling the exhaustion. Shelton blocks and hits a round house kick for 2. Shelton with an amazing leap to the top and a spinning clothesline for 2. HBK sidesteps him and then wins with the superkick hitting Shelton as he springboards off the ropes.

Fun match. Give these guys a PPV match and put Shelton over and you have a star.

Shawn sells the Shelton's offense after the match.

This was a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll turn Shawn heel and after his inevitable match with Hogan they pair HBk with Shelton.

ANd this has been my attempt at doing a play by play live....

Somebody contact Man In Blak and Loss, STAT. I think Scott Keith hacked into Some Guy's account.

:(

Good match, but given the way it was going, Shelton really should've gone over. Especially since he kicked Michaels (with some nice ones) about 5 times, but one kick nails Benjamin dead.

The wrong man has went over in every single tournament match. Christian should've went over Kane. Shelton Benjamin should've went over Shawn Michaels. Chris Jericho should've went over Edge.

I'm assuming that Triple H's opponent will be Chris Benoit. I'm assuming that Triple H will win. I'm assuming that I don't give a shit about that. Then again, I don't give a fuck about Benoit either.

I wanted Jericho or Christian to win the damn thing. Instead, they're both eliminated in the first round.

Guest Some Guy

It does come across very SKish. That's what happens when you type thing out as they are happening, it doesn't give you a chance to watch it again and give it a proper review. Plus, this was done so I had a review to replay it in my head, as I sadly didn't tape it and give it a more in depth review. I knew the review sucked, hence the last line of the post and the ....

I don't see the problem with HBK going over here, as long as he and Shelton have a program that sees Shelton go over. I think that Shawn put him over enough during the match to help out Shelton and build interest in a program. Shawn got virtually no offense in until the finish.

The finish was well done. The story of the match was that Shelton dominated with youth, power, and agility until the guile of HBK won out in the end. Other than the kick that Shawn no sold and had to be repeated there wern't any blown spots that I saw. If this plays out as it should, which is doubtful they'll do another Raw match that goes like this one and then a PPV match where Shelton "figures it out" and wins.

I see your point about Shelton hitting several kicks before jobbing to one, but it is Shawn's finisher and Shelton's is the Exploder, all of Shelton's kicks are just signature moves.

Guest Alfdogg

Alfdogg2k: I'll brake ur Master Lock

Alfdogg2k: that was a sign in the crowd.

MYSTERIOUSONEWDI: lol

Alfdogg2k: ah, Boston.

MYSTERIOUSONEWDI: that was SG holding the sign

Guest rob

For the first time in god only knows how long I saw some of Raw, as I flipped to it during the commercials of the Met game. I was impressed with the in-ring work, specifically Michaels-Benjamin and I liked seeing Triple H got knocked down a couple more rungs.

Who is the Master Lock guy? And is there any word as to when something interesting is gonna happen with him?

Shelton/HBK seems to have the inside track for MOTY so far, it was by far the best TV match I've seen in a while, even if the wrong guy went over.

Speaking of HBK, I'm surprised they haven't suggested he look into hairplugs before he ends up looking like Dory Funk, Jr.

Shawn refuses to turn heel because of his religious beliefs, which is a shame, because he'd be far more interesting right now if he were playing that role. That said, Undertaker has been wrestling less since 2003, and it's nice to see that they've found a new upper card veteran who's a better worker.

Benjamin vs Michaels was so good that I had to stay up for the replay and keep it on pernament tape which is something I hardly do in the WWE anymore (except Benoit matches of course). I loved the rollup sequence as it had so much merit here as that was how Benjamin beat Jericho the night before.

Nice stuff. Michaels mostly staying in control until the end where Benjamin starts to pour it on until he gets caught by the veteran in one of the best looking finishers ever. From anywhere. Michaels was real good at the end too looking down at Benjamin just putting over what they went through.

The nip up spot ruled. Benjamin's all "Yeah, I can do that too."

Benoit vs HHH was also strong with Benoit putting on a really great performance legit scaring me with his concussion selling. The match was too short, got hurt by a commercial break and the ending was ruint by interference but besides that the work was really strong.

I'm really looking forward to Benoit vs Kane next week since their last match on Raw was so great. That's going to be tough to beat but we'll see what happens.

I liked how HBK looked down at Shelton after the match with a look on his face like "damn, brotha almost beat me".  That's the stuff they just don't teach at OVW.

Wouldn't shock me if that look was half-shoot, but with a different meaning, since apparently Shelton was legitimately smacked good by that Michaels superkick.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

If they were going to put Shawn over, could they have at least not had him kicking out of a million big moves before hitting one move in return for the pin. At least let Shelton kick out of some big moves from Shawn before he loses so it's a little more obvious that he can hang with Shawn. The glance by Shawn afterwards was a nice touch, but something more tangible would have been nice. Not only that, unless this leads to Shawn getting an IC Title match, it paints the IC Title, and Benjamin, as something that the real top names don?t bother with, and they?ll both get devalued. For Benjamin to get anything out of this, it has to be followed up on, and it has to be made clear that Benjamin can beat Shawn, by Benjamin actually beating him, and cleanly.

Other than that, the highlight of Raw was Triple H tapping out, which was a little surprising, but given a little deeper thought, it?s not that much of one. Well, maybe the tapping out was, but not the actual losing.

And do you think Triple H realised that during the argument with Bischoff, he came off like a whiny little baby who wasn?t getting his own way ? He?s usually too sharp for that sort of thing to slip through.

I'm glad that Benoit won, I guess. It's something that at least seems fresher than Triple H winning again.

I don't know if I can get past my disappointments from earlier in the night though. I mean, why the hell did Christian lose in the first round? It seemed like WWE was getting ready to push him. Unless Kane wins the whole tournament and they build-up with the Kane/Batista confrontations from earlier encounters, it really doesn't serve any purpose.

I was really upset when Chris Jericho lose to Edge though. I think that made me more upset than anything else. Especially with all the things going on outside the ring. We have Edge, whom already gets a title shot down the line thanks to "Money in the Bank", winning another big match...all after the Matt Hardy situation. It just seems like he's being rewarded. Not only that but Jericho still hasn't signed a new contract from my understanding. Wouldn't WWE want to get Jericho in their good graces again? Ugh.

The Shelton/Michaels match was good. Shelton is the IC champion too so I can sort of see why they'd have HBK win. That doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it though.

Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit are both still in the tournament. If anyone can make Dave Batista look good in the ring, it'd be one of those two. I was really pulling for Christian though. Maybe that's just a pipe dream?

Besides, I thought that we were getting HHH/Batista III in a Cell? So, what's the point of the tournament then?

Guest Some Guy

It seemed like HBK was acting heelish last night, when Shelton was frustrating him by outwrestling him.

I know he doesn't want to be a full out heel, but even a tweener role would be better.

He wants a match with Hogan and I think he knows that he'll be booed if he goes in as a face, so he'll probably go heelish until the match. Atleast that's my best guess.

HTQ, what other big moves does HBK have besides the superkick? Shelton kicked out of the elbow, other than that Shawn's offense if punching, flying forearm, inverted atomic drop, and a clotheline. He doesn't use any big moves. HBK didn't kick out of the Exploder, so it's not like he killed that move and the rest of the stuff that Shelton hit him with were just his normal signature moves.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

HTQ, what other big moves does HBK have besides the superkick? Shelton kicked out of the elbow, other than that Shawn's offense if punching, flying forearm, inverted atomic drop, and a clotheline.  He doesn't use any big moves.  HBK didn't kick out of the Exploder, so it's not like he killed that move and the rest of the stuff that Shelton hit him with were just his normal signature moves.

He doesn't have to have specific big moves. The point is that he could have hit some high impact moves for Benjamin to kick out of before getting the win. It makes Benjamin look weak if he can hit all sorts of big moves, that the crowd brought as being big, and Shawn can kick out of them all, and all Shawn has to do is hit one big move of his own to get the win. I feel that Benjamin would have come across a lot better if Shawn had had to hit more than one move on him to get the pin.