Pro Wrestling Only

24 Years Ago: WON March 1984

khawk20

Piper was working for Vince and doing shots for Maple Leaf who was still aligned with JCP so that was the deal with the match against Kernodle.

Franklin Hayes = John Tatum BTW

Cool.

Also there's note about Piper ready to come in to the PNW at the end of this last update (posting next). Think Dave forgot that Piper was working for Vince at that point?

No Piper worked for Don Owens a couple of times while working for Vince and wouldn't work Portland for Vince due to his loyalty to Don. Piper was awesome for that.

This I found weird:

-Rick Rood came in on 1/6 for the sole purpose of studying Jimmy Garvin so he could imitate him in Memphis

Memphis experts, do you recall any similarities between Rood in that time frame and Garvin's persona? I'm curious if he actually did lift some mannerisms and stuff from Garvin while in Memphis.

Not really. he had the curly hair going on. I think Garvin was willing to let himself be made fun of where Rude seemed too cool. Also, Garvin showed alot of affection to his valets where Rude treated Angel like a love slave.

• 10 months later...

I wonder though why they didn't attempt to run something at Shea Stadium that year. Hogan/opponent, Slaughter/Sheik, Adonis and Murdoch defending the belts, Andre appearing, etc. It could have been a great card.

My guess at the time was that the focus was on expanding all over the country, rather than being New York centric. Hogan wasn't really looked at as someone to pop a big crowd in New York, but a tool to build up largely dead old territories (LA, SF, Det, CLE, etc) and break into existing territories (AWA and STL being the most succesful).

I think Vince wisely realized that if he added Chicago to his existing media base (NY, Philly, Boston, DC/Bal) and the open cities there for him to take (all of California, DET), then the WWF was "wrestling" to the majority of the media... and frankly probably the majority of the country if you start adding up population.

He could target other territories in a variety of ways.

Running Shea would have been a short term pop. Vince seemed to be looking a bit more long term.

John

Old as hell bump, but does anyone know what the deal is with New Japan there? Shinma? Inoki on the outs but back in? Sayama blacklisted?

Inoki and his brother were funneling NJPW's profits into his Brazilian company (a biotech project that attempted to convert sugar cane into an alternative energy source.) There was a coup and TV Asahi sided with the wrestlers. Inoki and Sakaguchi were forced to resign and Shinma was fired/left the company. Fujinami and Yamamoto ran things after the coup. Inoki was supposed to join UWF, but wangled his way back into the NJPW presidency.

The story I heard years ago was that Inoki was investing in some Brazilian company trying to turn cow shit into fuel, not sugar cane. I find that one a lot funnier even if it turns out to be rubbish. I can't source it so it's probably nonsense, but between that and the time Fidel Castro got him to buy an island on the premise of it holding buried pirate treasure... well, Inoki was an adventerous one.

Maybe it was both cow dung and sugar cane. I mean it's concievbably possible, if you're looking to develop an early age bio-fuel. I don't even want to imagine what that would smell like.

He wanted to turn the waste from refinement into feed for lifestock and then take their crap and turn it into even more feed. His plan was to solve the energy crisis and world hunger.

I dunno if the Castro story is true. Apparently the The King of Palaui gave him an island after the Ali fight and there's an Inoki island in the Pacific. NJPW say that Castro gave him an island,

Okay I was certain I didn't halucenate reading the buried treasure thing so I started thinking where I heard it. Then I recalled it was from a wrestling book, but one I hadn't personally read, but one I'd also read threads on. That narrowed what I could have been reading when I saw it down a pretty long way to about like 3 things tops.

Which brings us to the source being I do believe Randazzo's "Ring of Hell", for whatever that's worth. I really don't know the rest of the story, if there is one (and Lord, I do hope there is one I'm tempted to buy the book just for this as I already know that wrestling is a shitty, screwed up business full of strange people, so the rest of the book's material holds minimual interest to me). I know the book has been a huge hot topic of debate so I don't really feel like re-opening it's credibility/quality/whatever fucking problem people have with it again, especially since I don't own a copy. But that was the source of that particular rumor.

• 3 months later...

There would definitely be interest.

I will continue doing the '88s at some point, and go into '89, but they take SO LONG to type up.

I'll give it a shot, probably sometime tomorrow. Like I said, can't promise how often or how detailed my recaps will be due to time constraints, but hopefully they can spark some discussion.

I just got in WONs from '84-86. I'm almost completely done reading '84. Would there be any interest if I try and rekindle the summaries in this forum? I can't promise how often or how detailed they'd be, but if people are interested, I could give it a go. Thanks.

Go for it. I wish I had time to do more, but like Loss said, they do take a lot of time to type up.

• 7 years later...

Piper was working for Vince and doing shots for Maple Leaf who was still aligned with JCP so that was the deal with the match against Kernodle.

Franklin Hayes = John Tatum BTW

Cool.

Also there's note about Piper ready to come in to the PNW at the end of this last update (posting next). Think Dave forgot that Piper was working for Vince at that point?

Pretty sure Tatum grew up with Michael Hayes, hence him taking the last name.