Pro Wrestling Only

Warhol and wrestling

Loss

So I read a little while back in Sex, Lies & Headlocks that Andy Warhol at one time wanted to paint Hulk Hogan, and that wrestling for a very brief spell was popular among the art crowd in Soho. Does anyone have any other information about this, or is that pretty much all there is to it?

Seeing WWE Divas having their outfits designed by high-fashion hopefuls on Project Runway, and also reading that Madonna is wearing a wrestling championship belt on her latest CD cover, made me curious about any other tie-ins to two worlds that seem to have nothing else in common.

Rey Mysterio loves teh fashionz.

Clothes Make Man

Another championship run would be nice. But until that happens, WWE fans seem pretty content to cheer for this high-flying luchador on almost any spot on the card. Why? The guy has charisma. He's small, flashy, fiesty and has a zillion masked looks. Well, not a zillion, but enough to keep his closets full. He says he has close to 300 masks and matching pants, with each outfit costing about $600 to make. Mysterio -- not WWE -- pays the tailoring bill.

"Hopefully...one day my son (will) be a wrestler, then he'll have outfits there he can use," Mysterio said. "Recently I've gotten into the Louis Vuitton and the Gucci prints. You would only see that in rap videos where a lot of the rappers would have their decked out cars with the Gucci print or the Louis Vuitton print. I took it to another level. I have it done in my outfits."

Gucci designs or not, is Rey Mysterio always Rey Mysterio? Not a chance. Rey Mysterio is really a 32-year-old San Diego man whose real name is Oscar Gutierrez. He has a wife and two kids and says Rey is only for the public, only for the arenas.

Also, remember: Warhol was a guest at The War to Settle the Score.

And was interviewed by Gene Okerland post show.

Andy Warhol, Danny Devito, Joe Piscipo and Cyndi Lauper were also there

Don't forget noted wrestling expert Gloria Steinem, who was one of a chain of celebs to cut a promo on Roddy Piper during the preview show.

So was Akira Kurosawa for that matter.

I'm curious, where did you hear about Kurosawa being a wrestling fan?

Also, Werner Herzog claims to watch pro wrestling at times. Here's a quote from Herzog concerning WWE from the Austin Chronicle:

It's fascinating because something very crude, something very raw is emerging. A very raw, primitive form of new drama is being born, as primitive and crude as it must have been in the earlier Greek times before Sophocles and before Euripides, when something like this emerged for the public eye. I do believe that what is fascinating about WrestleMania is the stories around it: the dramas between the owner of the whole show and his son, who are feuding, and his wife in the wheelchair who is blind, and he is then showing up in the ring with four girls who have huge, fake boobs, and he is fondling them. This is almost sort of an ancient Greek drama -- evil uninterrupted by commercials. So, what does it say? It says that this sort of thing is more important that the fight itself (which of course is all staged and all manipulated). And that's very interesting to me because apparently the emergence of a new drama has been understood by these people who invented WrestleMania.

Edited by Raging Noodles

Guest Semaj

Rey Mysterio loves teh fashionz.

Clothes Make Man

Another championship run would be nice. But until that happens, WWE fans seem pretty content to cheer for this high-flying luchador on almost any spot on the card. Why? The guy has charisma. He's small, flashy, fiesty and has a zillion masked looks. Well, not a zillion, but enough to keep his closets full. He says he has close to 300 masks and matching pants, with each outfit costing about $600 to make. Mysterio -- not WWE -- pays the tailoring bill.

"Hopefully...one day my son (will) be a wrestler, then he'll have outfits there he can use," Mysterio said. "Recently I've gotten into the Louis Vuitton and the Gucci prints. You would only see that in rap videos where a lot of the rappers would have their decked out cars with the Gucci print or the Louis Vuitton print. I took it to another level. I have it done in my outfits."

Gucci designs or not, is Rey Mysterio always Rey Mysterio? Not a chance. Rey Mysterio is really a 32-year-old San Diego man whose real name is Oscar Gutierrez. He has a wife and two kids and says Rey is only for the public, only for the arenas.

Given Dominic's height two-years-ago and a teenage growth spurt to come, I wouldn't hold out hope for that.