Pro Wrestling Only

Well that was quite the episode of RAW

sek69

Guest evolution93

I thought the show was okay. My only question is what the Raw title match would be now. I thought it would be a six-pack challenge (and it still may be) with Jericho, Kane, JBL, Cena, Batista and Punk.

I enjoyed Regal-Punk, I was thinking that when Regal came back they and given that match a build for a week (and make it a title match) based on the fact that Regal made Punk tap in the King of the Ring finals.

I have to confess that I was expecting the Adamle result when I saw that he had Cole beaten up (that was an amusing segment if a bit too lengthy, btw, and daring of Vince to go without commentary for so long -- points to Cole for playing the coward and for getting one good punch in). I hoped it wasn't Adamle, but whatever. I don't hate him as much as everyone else does -- he kind of amuses me. We'll see where this goes.

Regal's back! Regal's back! He looked awful, but he wrestled a nice strong match and really kicked the crap out of Punk. I am still not convinced that Punk is being booked very strong; he definitely looked like the underdog in this match.

I gotta show some lobe for Beth picking up D-Lo when Santino couldn't. Their playing with gender roles -- especially when Santino always pretends to be such an alpha male -- has been amusing. She also threw a great sexy look at him as she walked away from the ring. Keep this one up, Guys! The match was okay, but it was important for the building of the romance. And I loved S's celebrating after pinning Kelly.

Mickie and Jillian? Short match but a strong one. Once again, we get to see glimpses of J's abilities. She looked really big and really strong, and I would love to see her and Mickie get a good 10-12 min (heck, I'd love 20, but I don't want to be greedy Very Happy). J threw Mickie's face hard into the mat several times, and I was surprised she didn't have a bloody nose. It would have been cool if Papa James had tried to get involved when his daughter got her ass suckerpunched by Katie; even if Mickie or a ref or someone held him back before anything happened. The crowd would have been all over that one.

I figure Mickie is due for a title loss soon. Sad she's already held for almost 4 months, and in Diva terms that's positively Backlund-esque. So when she does eventually lose, hopefully to Katie, then it would be cool if she turned crazy again. She's really over with the fans -- as well she should be LOL -- but a heel Mickie would rock, and she's so damned good at it. Besides the Trish angle, you need only look at some of her later Alexis promos to see what I mean.

Jericho's promo was great, the way he built the heat. I thought the whispering to HBK as the crowd began to chant against him was a bit of brilliance. Calling the fans idiots is a time-honored way of getting heat, but it's so hard to do well. Good on you, Jericho! Keep it up.

Noble keeps jobbing. But I liked him calling Kingston "Coffee", and I have said before that anything that gets him on screen is good to me.

The only real misstep was the Cena/Dave discussion at the beginning of the show. Boring and went nowhere, despite their best attempts to build some kind of heat. Turn Batista heel already - he'll be a lot more fun.

Do people here think that the booking is more long term than most people give it credit for or is it just WCW revisited?

To a degree, as some of the things that happen out of the blue such as Cena winning the Royal Rumble unannounced and Triple H moving to Smackdown were planned well in advance and they did a tremendous job of keeping the news from leaking. The long running Vickie Guerrero and Edge soap opera also clearly had a lot of thought put into it well in advance, even though the storyline has often had to be tweaked on the fly due to unexpected events occurring like Kristal Marshall being fired and Vickie getting so over as a heel in the role that it would have been a mistake to turn her back babyface.

That said, it seems like outside of the Undertaker vs Edge Hell In A Cell match the rest of the SummerSlam card, typically the second or third biggest PPV event of the year, has been thrown together at the last minute.

I think that if Jericho is going to be "serious" from now on he needs to ditch the goofy haircut. Other than that I liked his promo a lot and the HBK/Y2J angle has been really well done. Not so sure if I like the idea of HBK coming back to Raw next week as it seems a little soon but I guess we'll see what direction they go in.

Regal's attire seemed to be a result of him not being in the best of shape right now. I actually liked the look of it (especially with the hairstyle he's rocking) and the match was obviously great. Regal stretched the crap out of him, bloodied him up, gave him a DISGUSTING one-arm dragon suplex and pretty much gave him a run for the gold only for Punk to fight his way back and win with a very nice looking G2S. THIS is the kind of champ that Punk needsto be and the kind of matches he needs to be winning. Hell, I wouldn't mind a Regal/Punk rematch at SummerSlam for the belts although I kind of expect them to do Punk/JBL/Kane or maybe even Punk/Jericho.

Adamle as GM is great too. I loved the unpredictability of it, as did I love Adamle's reaction and the way he tried to buddy up with Batista and Cena at the end. I foresee a crazy evil GM angle where he gains revenge on all the people that knocked his commentary.

BTW, does anyone think that the technical wrestler/free agent hype was designed in part to mess with ROH fans who thought it might be Danielson? I've seen a few people who first thought it would be Danielson, including non-idiots.

BTW, does anyone think that the technical wrestler/free agent hype was designed in part to mess with ROH fans who thought it might be Danielson? I've seen a few people who first thought it would be Danielson, including non-idiots.

A lot of people did online including Powell, Meltzer & Alverez who all at least give it a second thought. I think Bryan Danielson is still doing family shows for holidaymakers in Blackpool, England.

THIS is the kind of champ that Punk needsto be and the kind of matches he needs to be winning.

Do you think that having him battle back from a beating like a scrappy underdog is the way to go?

You may be right, the more I reflect on it - despite my initial feeling. So many of his matches have made him look non-champion-esque, either beating a beaten foe (like his title win) or through interference. I have been kind of focused on that aspect. But as I think again about this match -- and will probably go home at lunch and rewatch it in a few minutes -- then I see how he does come out looking pretty strong.

Punk can never dominate the way he could in the indies because of his size. Put him in the ring with guys like Ares and Gibson and he's as big or bigger. But JBL and Dave and Regal and friends are much bigger, so maybe he has no choice but to be the smaller guy clawing his way to respect.

I like it. I am going to rethink the situation.

PS - Regal rules. More stiff matches. More anything with Regal, please. . .

Regal's back! Regal's back! He looked awful, but he wrestled a nice strong match and really kicked the crap out of Punk. I am still not convinced that Punk is being booked very strong; he definitely looked like the underdog in this match.

From the coming week's Observer:

"The original plan was for Punk to go heel and win the Money in the Bank later this year. The suggestion for Punk to win the title the way it went down at first didn’t go over well, but the arguments were made that since the company decided on a youth movement and to shake things up (and it is amazing that the minute they started going with new people on top the ratings started getting a little better) that Punk is the guy to push more than anyone else. The argument is that Punk was more popular than he should have been given his push (true) and that he sells far more merchandise than someone in his position should (also true). Ever since Vince green lighted Punk winning the title, suddenly everyone in creative is 100% backing him. The producers on the other hand were very quiet when they were told, because many of them don’t think highly of Punk’s work, but none of them will ever argue against a Vince direction because everyone is afraid of losing their job. HHH behind the scenes is not a supporter of his dating back to his arrival in the company, and has joked that they now need to turn Michaels heel so Punk can have someone who can work him through a world title match. The Punk not looking strong is part of the Vince directive. Vince believes that Punk as a babyface always clinging onto the belt against “better” guys will cause fans to get behind him in the long run. It was the same idea he had with Mysterio, which in hindsight, most feel was a big mistake, but Vince was also never behind Mysterio as anything but a transitional champion at that time."

Guest secondcoming

I would kill to see regal win the World title...and he is well deserving...

I just don't see it ever happening...I think Mcmahon thinks of him as a Perma-midcarder and KOTR was just throwing him a bone