Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #3: Steve Austin & Larry Zbyszko vs Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

I actually expected to walk away from this match feeling let down, and I was. I didn't think it was horrible or anything, but after so many years of hearing the hype for it from various people and places, my hopes were somewhat high for it. That said, I really liked that all four of them weren't afraid to bump like pinballs, Dustin's nasty 360 bumps from Austin's lariats, Barry tumbling over the top, and both heels stooging like mad for the faces. I also really liked how it was Dustin who seemed to be out for blood, the way he went after Larry's arm while Barry was more all business.

The only thing that I disliked actively about the match was the heat portion on Dustin, because it just seemed to drag on and on, and aside from Ausitn's lariats and them trying to bait Barry into running into the ring it didn't seem like they had much to do.

This match gets me every time.

Aside from the Steamboat/Youngblood vs Slaughter/Kernodle match, this may be my favorite tag match ever in the U.S.

Since Steve Austin changed his style so much after his neck injury, and that's when he had his biggest years, it's easy to forget that before that, he was definitely a willing bumper and kept a pretty fast pace. People have said Austin had a learning curve early on in WCW, and that's probably true, but this match didn't show one at all.

Part of that may have been because Zbyszko was so good. Larry Zbyszko doing endless stalling isn't a myth, but it's not really an all-the-time thing with him either. There are matches like this and the November '91 Clash match against Steamboat and Dustin that proves he was able to keep a good pace when he felt like it. I really think for anyone who wants to look more into this era, Goodhelmet's Dangerous Alliance comp is a good pick, and there's lots of good Zbyszko included.

Dustin's sells of those Austin clotheslines is pretty awesome stuff.

This is one of those matches that I really point to as what I think great tag team wrestling should be: strong faces and heels, lots of good standard sequences and spots executed extremely well, good building of heat, good storyline, good mix of veterans and younger guys. Maybe there are better tag matches, but this is one that doesn't feel like it's missing a thing. This reminds me in some ways of the dynamic you'd get when Rock would team with Jericho or HHH would team with Benoit during the boom years, although it didn't happen too often.

Madusa's also excellent as a second, shaking the ropes at ringside on cue when Austin is using them for leverage, so there's an excuse when the ref wants answers. I also like Jim Ross noticeably taking offense to Jesse Ventura saying the Sooners were the only team in college football whose players took a pay cut when they went to the NFL.

Forget Pillman/Liger, this was the best match at SuperBrawl II, what I consider the best PPV ever.

Madusa's also excellent as a second, shaking the ropes at ringside on cue when Austin is using them for leverage, so there's an excuse when the ref wants answers. I also like Jim Ross noticeably taking offense to Jesse Ventura saying the Sooners were the only team in college football whose players took a pay cut when they went to the NFL.

I am a total mark for Madusa in all her incarnations, so my opinion may not be just. But I thought she was great here, too, especially how she runs away from the ring, giving Austin a chance to throw a nasty clothesline on the ramp. And JR really shut up Jesse, didn't he, when he mentioned that someone from Minnesota wouldn't know about college football. :lol:

First time I have seen this match. I really liked how it was such controlled chaos, right from the beginning when all four guys went nuts on each other. The backstory helped a bit, though I wasn't sure when it happened that the DA broke Barry's hand. He seemed perfectly healed up here. I found myself trying to figure out how they did that hand in the car door spot. It was nasty-looking.

These big men threw dropkicks and went over the ropes and did all sorts of crazy bumps. I, too, enjoyed their gameness. One of my favorite bits was when Barry needed to tag out but couldn't get to Dustin. So he simply falls backwards, fully extending his body and getting the tag. So simple and yet so cool. I can't wait to see more of these guys -- I just got the DA comp a week ago.

One thought -- does Austin 1992 know any move besides the clothesline? Damn, he's crazy for that move; it allows from some beautiful bumping, to be sure, but it kind of gets old after a bit. Doesn't take away from the greatness of this match, but it sure seemed noticeable to me. We'll see in the DA discs if he really continues to use it.

One other thought -- early 90's WCW completely rules. That is all.

BTW, there's a Rude/Austin v Sting/Steamboat match from around this period that I think might be more fun, even if it might not be better put together technically. The crowd is hotter, and Rude/Austin really heel it up to 11. I need to watch it again and see if I still feel that way.

This was an awesome start to the set. This is seriously among the best Zbyszko matches I've ever seen, largely because he's not stalling and he's actually bumping more than I've ever seen him.

What's awesome about this is this wasn't even the best match of the PPV.

Never been good at explaining why I like/dislike a match but here goes:

Cool tag team match. I'm glad goodhelmet added in the brief intro with Bishoff and Schivone talking about Windham looking for revenge against the Dangerous Alliance. The start was great and fast with the Alliance getting beat-up until cheating to get the advantage. I thought Zbysko was really good with his mannerisms and jawing to the ref/fans, everyone looked great in it. ***3/4

Man, this was a blast. Some general thoughts...It's amazing how little Austin changed his offence over the years, not just in what he did, but how he did it, if you watch the suplexes and clotheslines the body movements etc are exactly the same as in his later run. And he sure as hell still loves the clothesline, I wasn't sure if he was limited or was just building a story around it, either way Windham and Rhodes took it like chaps. Austin never had much luck with his ring attire, those are the shorts that time forgot.

The first five minutes or so are a thing of beauty, the face team getting pure revenge, almost getting reversed, back on top, and delivering everything with anger and meaning. If you can make me believe you want to murder the whole family of your opponent within the first minute, and still have the crowd cheering for you wildly...well, openings don't get much better than this. The cool thing here is that everyone is on a decent level, definately no deadweight to carry, Windham looks as good as I've seen him. The ending was a bit abrupt, otherwise a great fucking starter for this set, first match I've sat down and watched in several months and it didn't disappoint. ****1/4?

• 2 weeks later...

One thought -- does Austin 1992 know any move besides the clothesline? Damn, he's crazy for that move; it allows from some beautiful bumping, to be sure, but it kind of gets old after a bit. Doesn't take away from the greatness of this match, but it sure seemed noticeable to me. We'll see in the DA discs if he really continues to use it.

I like how Ross covered for this by saying something to the effect that Dustin just couldn't avoid Austin's clotheslines.

I really dug this. I'm really starting to get a new appreciation for Larry Z. I loved him consistently being mad about the ref's "slow" count. I just love watching Barry and Dustin wrestle...just so natural (no pun intended). You can just tell that they were born into it.

I guess my main criticism is that I'd like to have seen Windham's hand come more into play. You know, have the heels work it over or something. Nothing big, but it would have been nice.

• 3 months later...

Finally getting a chance to dive into this disc.

Windham and Rhodes are just so damn smooth, and I reiterate the love for Dustin's crazy bumps for Austin clotheslines, though the second "turned inside out" bump seemed a bit forced to me.

I'm always a sucker for the "false hot tag" in a good tag team match, and it worked to perfection here.

Zbysko impressed the hell out of me. He was in crazy good shape, and little things like going crazy on the referee at every two-count really added to it.

All in all, a tremendously fun tag match, which in a way made me sad because matches like this are so damn rare nowadays.

Not sure if I'd give it the kind of love Loss did, but it was damn, damn good.

• 4 weeks later...

when i was little superbrawl 2 was the first pay per view i ever ordered, so i have especially fond memories of this one. i had just started watching wcw like a year or so earlier. i didn't care about austin and zybyszko at the time, but i was way into rhodes and windham. i remember taping this show and watching it over and over, and trying to get my friends to be as amazed by pillman and liger as i was. but yeah, it was a great match and a great show. i wanted to get every pay per view afterwards, but i was little and had no money, so i had to just watch this show over and over while waiting for the next clash of champions.