Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #3: Eddy Guerrero & Art Barr vs El Hijo del Santo & Octagon

Loss

If this is the match i'm thinking it is, I think it's better than the much overhyped When World Collide match. Eddy going crazy on drunk Octagon was great.

I figure my DVD will be here any day. But I am interested in this match, too, because the one Tim mentioned is definitely over-rated. Maybe it just got too much hype as a work of genius by the time I saw it, but I finished it and thought, "Is that it?" So hooray for bringing something different!

Yeah, this is not the When Worlds Collide match, this took place one year earlier, and I think it's much better. I think When Worlds Collide was great for opening the door for a lot of people to see wrestlers and a style they may not have seen otherwise, and I think all the matches are good, but I wasn't really overly enamored with that tag match either. This one is awesome, I'm looking forward to watching it again.

We were disappointed in the building by the WWC collide match because it had been booked to go considerably longer (40 minutes) and was forced into a shorter window by the WCW assholes. So there were parts that felt rushed to us.

That said, the finish of the second fall remains the best crowd reaction that I've ever been in the middle of... and I've been in the middle of some good ones (like Warrior over Savage and Choshu over Hash and other great lucha ones).

John

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely better from a technical standpoint than the WWC match. I will say the story of the WWC match is better IMO, particularly leading to the pieldriver spot, but this is better from a technical standpoint and an in-ring standpoint. Barr and Eddy play the dick rudo role so well that I even started rooting against them, and Eddy's one of my ten favorite workers of all time.

I'm sure everyone has matches for them how this is for me. By that I mean a match where they can watch from a distance, and see a great match unfolding, but not connecting with it at all. This just didn't do it for me, and I can;t put my finger on why. Two great rudos, two great technicos, two of the greatest of all time in their prime, technically excellent, varied offence...and I still didn't get into it. It's clearly not a bad match, so where the emotional pull went is beyond me. Shame, since I really wanted to love it. I get the feeling most people would go crazy over it though, so...****

• 1 year later...

Having gotten a bit more antiquated with Lucha, I decided to give this another look. It's plain to see this isn't a bad match, but I still like the WWC tag match more. Mostly due to the story that WWC told, with the Mexicans being put behind the 8-ball right off the bat as well as Love Machine's piledriver and Blue Panther returning the favor.

That said, I did still enjoy this from a wrestling perspective. The only real issue I had was the second fall when Octagon pinned Barr. Eddy knocked down Santito with plenty of time to make the save, and had to more or less sit there and watch Barr drop the fall, it was a bit exposing. That aside, they were given plenty of time, and I really liked how each fall was given plenty of time to play out. Having watched a good amount of CMLL in the couple of days, I was used to seeing the first two falls over in less than five minutes, so this was a nice chance of pace. Not to mention Art trying to prevent Octagon from saving Santito and slipping on his ass.