Pro Wrestling Only

Joey Styles' Twittering:work or real?

sek69

Jingus, you are correct in that several ECW wrestlers used insider terms to bond with their audience. I am only commenting on how Joey used them.

I felt that Joey came off as sort of corny, like the type of announcer parodied in old sketch comedies. I much prefer the announcing of NWA Jim Ross, Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura, and at times Tony Schiavone and Larry Zbyszko.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt that Joey came off as sort of corny, like the type of announcer parodied in old sketch comedies

The one thing I can say for Styles is that I enjoyed him when he was doing straight up corny comedy; complaining when Simon Diamond announced Dick Hertz..." His name is Richard!!!". Him as corny guy who didn't like double entendre's or degenerates was always amusing to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisers have really become the "Big Brother" in modern-day America. Everything is dictated by what advertisers will tolerate. A local radio talk show was recently castrated into doing a three-hour apology to transgender people for an offhand joke because Chipotle pulled their spots.

That "offhand remark" was one of the hosts saying he'd beat his son with a shoe if he turned out to be transgendered as well as referring to said people as "idiots" and "freaks". Also that transgendered kids can be cured by either beatings or shock therapy.

So yeah, sometimes advertiser pressure is what it takes to make people not act like mentally challenged inbreds.

Just like in this case, WWE (even as conservative as the upper echelon tend to be) realized it's not good business to have an employee taking fringe talking point stands on a public forum with WWE's name all over it.

That "offhand remark" was one of the hosts saying he'd beat his son with a shoe if he turned out to be transgendered as well as referring to said people as "idiots" and "freaks". Also that transgendered kids can be cured by either beatings or shock therapy.

Yeah, that's a horrible thing to say and not remotely funny.

I read that news tidbit as the corporate side were actually worried that advertisers would come to realize how batshit crazy their boss really is.

I read that news tidbit as the corporate side were actually worried that advertisers would come to realize how batshit crazy their boss really is.

I mean, if they haven't figured it out by now, those advertisers are never going to find it out.

Sadly, while the Republican brand is damaged, if Chris Benoit murdering his family leading to all the embarrassing PR leading to the Signature Pharmacy scandal didn't result in advertisers pulling out, neither will WWE being outed as a corporation run by right-wingers. People know Vince is crazy. They just don't care.

The problem isn't advertisers pulling out, the problem is being able to attract new, more upmarket, better paying advertisers. Advertisers already know Vince is crazy and runs a sleazy product. They've known that for almost two decades. That's why most companies avoid advertising on WWE programming and those that do pay poorly for the opportunity. It's hard enough to repackage yourself as advertiser friendly if you've got WWE's PR track record, that I'm not surprised WWE's corporate wing are sensitive to a toadie trying to score brownie points with the boss by cutting wrestling promos on the President via Twitter.

What I don't understand is if the advertisers fear is based in criticizing the office of the President, being outed as Republican, or both?

I think it's neither. It's most likely a fear of offending potential customers who don't believe what Joey Styles believes.

I think the advertiser fear is based in how the criticism is delivered. It's one thing if Joey Styles says, "I don't like what Obama is doing and I disagree with his plans." It's another thing if he drops an "Obama bin Laden" comment or that "Obama supports abortion because he wants to kill babies," as that type of extremist opinion is what causes advertisers to freak.

I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling that Vince is the type of Republican that cares only about money, taxes, regulation and that sort of thing. I seem to remember reading that he paid for Pat Patterson's boyfriend's funeral. I don't see him going crazy (well, more crazy) over abortions and the black president having an Arabic name.