Pro Wrestling Only

Joey Styles' Twittering:work or real?

sek69

I'm sure most people here are aware of how Joey Styles is suddenly going around posting extreme (no pun intended) right wing political statements on his Twitter account, most of then bashing Obama with the same kind of stuff you probably found in your inbox leading up to the election.

Without getting into a debate on the merits of his views, the mention in the WON about how this has got Joey back in Vince's good graces (Surprise! Vince is apparently a right winger too which should be a shock to approximately no one) made me wonder if this whole Joey Styles: Attack Twitter-er deal isn't a work designed to enhance his job security. I have no way of confirming or denying that the views he's posting about are legitimately his or not, it just struck me as odd that he's never been an overtly vocal guy about these kind of things and suddenly he starts going around sounding like he's auditioning to be a fill in host for Rush Limbaugh. I'd hate to think he's smart enough to not be one of those white dudes who got all shook over having a black president, but it's kind of what it comes off like reading his posts.

It did cause Jim Cornette of all people (who I'd never have expected to have such opinions in these matters) to cut a full on classic promo on him and if nothing else I really want to see a Cornette-Styles grudge match now.

(link to said twittering here. )

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy Fierro sighting! That guy still hasn't managed to drown in a bowl of oatmeal yet? The internet itself is surprising, never would've pegged Cornette as a Democrat.

Just for the lulz, here's a compilation of everything Joey has said in that direction:

I love America and the Internet! I am Twittering for WWEuniverse.com while protesting progressive taxes at a Tea Party protest.

9:51 AM Apr 15th from txt

I am celebrating Earth Day by running my cars night, turning on all my lights and electric appliances and drilling for oil at the Bronx Zoo.

7:11 PM Apr 20th from txt

The state of California voted to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman and an overwhelming percentage of Americans agree.

6:33 PM Apr 22nd from txt

Profane name calling by Perez Hilton is a disservice to homosexuals. His behavior is cowardly as he never insults people in person. OMG!

6:44 PM Apr 22nd from txt

Check out wwe.com to see how I contributed to Earth Day. Today I will drive over a windmill turbine farm with a gas guzzling Hummer.

7:19 AM Apr 23rd from txt

The (Catholic) University of Notre Dame should be ashamed of themselves for having pro-abortion President Obama speak at their graduation.

9:56 AM May 17th from txt

Our marxist president is in the Middle East apologizing for for the USA and snubbing Israel. The disgrace continues.

about 19 hours ago from txt

Obama hid from his middle name, Hussein, during the election and now brags about how many Muslims live in America. He's a fraud.

By the way, he used taxpayer money to turn ownership of Chrysler and GM to the UAW which donated millions to his campaign. That's a payoff!

It is worth noting that Joey posted messages on here for almost a full month before starting up this crap, so one does wonder if it is just brown-nosing to please the boss. He once ran a marketing agency in New York, right? That's not exactly a conservative bastion in any way. It certainly reads like he took his talking points directly from whatever Fox talking heads show that he happened to channel-surf past. Styles has written plenty of more in-depth articles in his time which came off as a hundred times more intelligent than any of the drivel he's posting here. And he also threw in a wisecrack about "E. Stan Kroenke". I say work here.

Yeah, it's such a 180 from his usual style, not to mention it's hard to imagine such a legit hard core conservative republican would have spent so many years in the original ECW. I mean, if his current feelings are legit you'd think he'd be upset about Paul E. getting a bailout from Vince? :lol:

It seems like such an obvious kiss ass attempt you'd think that's the kind of thing that usually pisses Vince off. From the way it was written it certainly seemed like whoever Dave's source is felt it was a work too.

Definitely a work

The Notre Dame line seals it

Actually that's pretty ingenious of Joey to create a right wing/Colbert-esque character to mock Vince in guise of pandering to him.

Once someone in the office realizes it's a work though Joey will feel the wrath

and yes I'd never would have guessed Cornette was such a huge Democrat

Guest Talon

Does Joey Styles still work for WWE? The few times I've seen the product in the last couple years he's either not there or in part of some angle where he's fired/quit.

Joey runs .com

Does Joey Styles still work for WWE? The few times I've seen the product in the last couple years he's either not there or in part of some angle where he's fired/quit.

Joey runs .com

Which explains why he needs to suck up to Vince, being in charge of .com has been like being the drummer in Spinal Tap.

On the Special Edition of Mick Foley's Greatest Hits & Misses DVD. On the alternative commentary track for the bonus DVD Joey Styles mentions that despite their (Mick & Joey) close friendship they couldn’t be further apart when it comes to politics. Foley is a self described bleeding heart liberal. So it is not like it is a new thing. Going by an interview I read with Joey years ago he is pretty staunch Catholic.

Joey's always been a really conservative guy. I always thought the fact that he was a boring Republican family guy made his role as straight man in ECW all the better. This definitely isn't a work. There are a few of us conservative dudes left in the world (although some of this stuff is more to the right than me). He did a blog a few months ago about something that was bugging him involving government interference with his local church, but I forget what it was about. He's also mentioned meeting his wife at a church function.

Are any wrestlers liberal besides Foley? I'm interested in knowing the political leanings of various wrestlers. All I know is that Ric Flair, Vince McMahon, Shawn Michaels, and JBL are all conservatives. WWE has also typically given preferential treatment to Republicans under the guise of being unbiased in their Smackdown Your Vote stuff, which is interesting, because it's been Republican state senators from New York trying to require drug testing and social conservatives like Brent Bozell that have caused Vince some of his biggest headaches.

You'd also think he would realize that he had his greatest business boom ever when Clinton was in the White House, so the idea that a Democratic administration is bad for business is something that just doesn't make sense.

He also had his biggest famine during Clinton's entire first term as president. Come to think of it, he also did pretty poorly with most things he tried during the Carter administration. Pure coincedence that it happened that way, but you could see how it might subconciously program a fellow to think that a Democrat in office means bad times. Hasn't business been steadily declining over the past year as well? As eager as Vince has consistently proven to be about blaming all his problems on other people, it's not hard to see how he'd naturally embrace a Them Damn Democrats Are Ruining The Country philosophy.

Also remember that this is a guy who waited until 2006 to put any world heavyweight title on someone who was obviously a black man (as opposed to Rock, whose skin tone could've come from anywhere on the planet if you didn't know exactly who his parents were). So it's not beyond reason to think that Vince might have an ingrained bias against the darkies, as it were, which gives him another angle to be predjudiced against Obama on. Remember, even right now, the only African wrestler who's ever been on contract to this company is portraying a Jamaican character, which shows you just how much Vinnie thinks about that particular continent and its denizens.

I'm sure there are liberal wrestlers out there. Just probably not many who are willing to publicly talk about it. Wrestling is still very much a macho boys' club establishment, with old white rednecks in charge at the top, and such types naturally lean more right than left and set the tone for the industry as a whole.

He also had his biggest famine during Clinton's entire first term as president. Come to think of it, he also did pretty poorly with most things he tried during the Carter administration. Pure coincedence that it happened that way, but you could see how it might subconciously program a fellow to think that a Democrat in office means bad times. Hasn't business been steadily declining over the past year as well? As eager as Vince has consistently proven to be about blaming all his problems on other people, it's not hard to see how he'd naturally embrace a Them Damn Democrats Are Ruining The Country philosophy.

Also remember that this is a guy who waited until 2006 to put any world heavyweight title on someone who was obviously a black man (as opposed to Rock, whose skin tone could've come from anywhere on the planet if you didn't know exactly who his parents were). So it's not beyond reason to think that Vince might have an ingrained bias against the darkies, as it were, which gives him another angle to be predjudiced against Obama on. Remember, even right now, the only African wrestler who's ever been on contract to this company is portraying a Jamaican character, which shows you just how much Vinnie thinks about that particular continent and its denizens.

I'm sure there are liberal wrestlers out there. Just probably not many who are willing to publicly talk about it. Wrestling is still very much a macho boys' club establishment, with old white rednecks in charge at the top, and such types naturally lean more right than left and set the tone for the industry as a whole.

I think it's widely known that Bryan Danielson is a pretty liberal guy.

Wrestling is a heavily integrated and heavily un-PC work environment. It's very rare in that respect. I suspect that most of the guys are reflections of that culture, which is to say that they aren't really aren't neat fits for any sort of politics. No doubt that most of the business is probably Republican, but it's not principled conservative or even slavishly right wing from what I can tell.

There do appear to be a fair number of libertarians in the business as well (Kane, Val Venis)

Wrestling is a heavily integrated and heavily un-PC work environment. It's very rare in that respect. I suspect that most of the guys are reflections of that culture, which is to say that they aren't really aren't neat fits for any sort of politics. No doubt that most of the business is probably Republican, but it's not principled conservative or even slavishly right wing from what I can tell.

There do appear to be a fair number of libertarians in the business as well (Kane, Val Venis)

I don't agree with his views, but I love how Glen Jacobs has two alter egos: Kane and his "Citizen X" libertarian blogger persona, and it seems no one who's a fan of one is even aware of the existence of the other.

Are any wrestlers liberal besides Foley?

The ones I'm pretty certain lean left are Foley, Heyman, Batista and likely Bret Hart. The Bret one I'm just guessing but he made it known on his Chapters (Canadian Barnes & Noble) page that he was reading one of Clinton's books. Heyman is one we've assumed for a while. Batista wasn't exactly subtle on his book about how he and his family hated Reagan.

I was going to mention the Foley disc thing with respect to Joey, but rovert covered it nicely.

One of the biggest right wingers in the business that hasn't been mentioned yet is Bischoff. He's been more strongly against Obama than just about anyone else, even Joey. And he doesn't have a McMahon to bother pleasing with his comments either. :)

Former ECW backstage interviewer guy and friend of the man in question, Steven Prazak had this to say:

Actually, Joe's always been a fiery republican. I recall one backstage politically-charged argument - with Balls, maybe?, don't remember - that got so heated that Sandman, of all people, stepped in to simmer Joe down. Sure made me keep my politico views to myself! But seeing Joe post that line of "thought" on a WWE online product sure is an eyebrow raiser.

So apparently Joey's opinions are legit, but even a guy who knows him thinks that saying this stuff publicly under the company's letterhead does smell fishy.

Well Bischoff did learn at the foot of Verne Gagne, and I think it's pretty well known what he thought of the colored folks. Also I wouldn't rule out him wanting to stay on WWE's good side too. He's a guy who wouldn't want to burn the one bridge left if he ever felt like getting back in the business.

As far as Joey goes, I can buy him being legit conservative, but to suddenly start airing his views on a public forum like that just makes me think he found a way to get over with the bosses.

Also lol @ him having a serious argument over anything with Balls.

Don't know where Punk sits on the political spectrum.

Forgot to mention Jericho. Heavy conservative. Made a comment to TMZ about Obama when asked which of the two has better abs: "I do, but Obama is going to give 65% of my abs away to other people."

I somewhat also think JBL is less conservative than most people think. Not saying he isn't a conservative at all, but he isn't the hardcore heavy right winger that people may think of him. He expressed congrats and support for Obama when he won, and before, really only thought that Obama's stance versus big business was the only thing he didn't really like about him. There was also something where he visited either the Arctic or Antartic for studies and came with the conclusion that global warming is a bigger threat than its critics imagine. The guy strikes me as more of a strong fiscal conservative than all-round hardcore one. He seems hateful of Congress in general than certain Democratic ideas and views.