Pro Wrestling Only

Tag team partners who couldn't stand each other

JMFabianoRPL

I think there are some hard feelings these days between Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson, since both have been known to form "new" versions of the Rock 'n' Roll Express that pop up on indies now and then. Also, Dynamite mentioned in his book that the Young Stallions hated one another.

Yeah, the Rock n' Roll's have an on-again/off-again relationship. A couple of years ago when the Rocks and Midnights feuded on the Carolina indies and were doing crazy business, the promoter wanted to do a blowoff match for the feud so that they could start it back up again a year or so later. Ricky agreed, saying he could see how they would burn out the towns if they weren't careful. Robert disagreed, and started another Rock n' Roll Express with someone else (Brad Attitude?).

I also remember some type of disagreement with them a few years ago because Morton was upset about Gibson receiving equal (or possibly higher) pay for one of the shows they were working to just stand on the apron while Morton would be doing all the work.

Yeah, when Gibson was working as a trainer in OVW, he was booking indy gigs through the WWE office, and they asked for a much higher guarantee. When Ricky found out, he asked for equal pay and promoters refused, since they had already agreed on the lower amount for him. Apparently, this caused some bad blood.

I also remember some type of disagreement with them a few years ago because Morton was upset about Gibson receiving equal (or possibly higher) pay for one of the shows they were working to just stand on the apron while Morton would be doing all the work.

Why get mad about that now when that's how it'd been for 25-odd years?

Yeah, the Rock n' Roll's have an on-again/off-again relationship. A couple of years ago when the Rocks and Midnights feuded on the Carolina indies and were doing crazy business, the promoter wanted to do a blowoff match for the feud so that they could start it back up again a year or so later. Ricky agreed, saying he could see how they would burn out the towns if they weren't careful. Robert disagreed, and started another Rock n' Roll Express with someone else (Brad Attitude?).

Robert had a dispute with Tony Hunter, the promoter in question, and tried to run the same building in opposition to him. On Hunter's shows RICKY started a new Rock 'n' Roll Express with Brad ARMSTRONG. This was curtailed by Ricky's incarceration for the 2nd half of 2005.

The Gangsta's -- Even when they were in SMW Nu-Jack wasn't letting Mustapha ride in the same car with him (this was according to James E.) As usual with Wrestling (and a lot of other businesses) it appears money was at the root of the problem. Mustapha didn't like he couldn't do promos as well as Jack. The way I remember it Mustapha went off from ECW and did another promotion with someone else as the Gangstas which is what split the team....

Why get mad about that now when that's how it'd been for 25-odd years?

I'm guessing it was more literal than before.

The Gangsta's -- Even when they were in SMW Nu-Jack wasn't letting Mustapha ride in the same car with him (this was according to James E.) As usual with Wrestling (and a lot of other businesses) it appears money was at the root of the problem. Mustapha didn't like he couldn't do promos as well as Jack. The way I remember it Mustapha went off from ECW and did another promotion with someone else as the Gangstas which is what split the team....

Mustapha went back to ECW for a short spell in '99 to feud with Jack, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Guest Kenta Batista

London and Kidman come to mind. Paul had ZERO respect for the guy and I believe the feeling was mutual. One of London's biggest complaints against Kidman was his attitude and the fact that he thinks he was paired with Kidman because Creative thought they had a similar look and finisher. Check out the London thread in this section for more info, but London HATES Kidman.

Shawn and Marty talked about it on the Shawn Michaels "Heartbreak and Triumph" dvd set. They enjoyed hanging out together until their friendship started to deteriorate (which was in 1991, I guess). And the fight was apparently the incident that made them think about breaking up the Rockers tag team (and Shawn also wanted to go singles anyway). So, I think it was never really a case where they couldn't stand each other. It was more a case of two men being tired of spending almost every day with each other for years and years.