Pro Wrestling Only

Rey Misterio busted on a Wellness violation

Cox

If the WWE is smart they'll use this opportunity to do a house show title switch. It might boost business and it hurts nothing if it doesn't because Rey has to drop the strap anyhow. I'd put Dolph up against Matt Hardy or John Morrison at Breaking Point so that he has an over face to work against and keep Finlay v. Knox in tact as an undercard bout.

I can't quite figure out the right way to ask this question, but I'll try.

Should this have an impact on Rey's drawing power? Not will it, but should it? The guy is marketed heavily to children, publicizing a failed drug test you would think would damage his marketability, even though it likely won't.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/869043

"In accordance with WWE's Wellness Program, effective Wednesday, September 2, Oscar Gutierrez (Rey Mysterio) is suspended for 30 days for a violation of the company’s policy."

I guess they're going to be putting the rocket on Dolph Ziggler a bit sooner than they had anticipated.

On the contrary, they wanted to put the IC belt on Dolph 2 PPVs ago but Rey got that changed since he was promised a long reign.

It generally doesn't affect the popularity of baseball players when they are caught using PEDs, despite what the sports media establishment will try to make you believe. I doubt it will matter much in wrestling, where the vast majority of the viewing public probably assumes use anyway.

I really can't see WWE changing course with its marketing of Rey. As long as he moves merchandise, they'll keep pushing him.

While I don't doubt Rey has been taking illegal substances since his WWE arrival, he seems to fall into the Jeff Hardy/William Regal category of guys who are either on top or getting a major push, then fail a wellness test and pay the penalty, even though their build and behavior may make one wonder why it didn't happen sooner.

Of course, the guys that are on the very top likely have the "best connections" in terms of finding substances that the tests can't catch (even as WWE tends to use the least reliable tests among those organizations who do them), masking agents or even common products that can prevent a positive test.

Guest Kenta Batista

I can't quite figure out the right way to ask this question, but I'll try.

Should this have an impact on Rey's drawing power? Not will it, but should it? The guy is marketed heavily to children, publicizing a failed drug test you would think would damage his marketability, even though it likely won't.

I don't see it happening. If WWE said that Mysterio was busted because of cocaine then YES~! it would. However this could be something like Rey taking pain pills and it showing up in his piss. Certain drugs are demonized by Americans while others are not. It will take something diabolical and dare I say sinister for Mysterio to lose his standing with the kids.

Aside from that, if it would have an effect on Rey, it should have an effect on every other top wrestler who ever used drugs. Which is, of course, just about all of them. Mick Foley and CM Punk are about the only world champions that I wouldn't say have definitely touched an illegal substance. And even with them, really, we only have their own word that they've never done it themselves.

The guy is marketed heavily to children, publicizing a failed drug test you would think would damage his marketability, even though it likely won't.

Publicizing? More like burying on their website. Usually WWE sends out press releases to the media when their wrestlers fail drug tests, but they didn't in this case.

Oh and I agree with BK that this test failure reeks of sending a message to someone who threatened to give notice a few months ago, extracted begrudging concessions from the company (like a vacation and a lengthy IC title run) and tried to force the company to live up to their end of the deal when they tried to renege on it (WWE kept booking Dolph to win the title almost as soon as Rey won it, only for Rey to keep nixing the title switch).

Guest DietSoda

If the WWE is smart they'll use this opportunity to do a house show title switch. It might boost business and it hurts nothing if it doesn't because Rey has to drop the strap anyhow. I'd put Dolph up against Matt Hardy or John Morrison at Breaking Point so that he has an over face to work against and keep Finlay v. Knox in tact as an undercard bout.

How would a house show title switch boost business? I'm curious.

Granted they have 'Taker back, but losing Jeff AND Rey is a big loss for Smackdown. Jeff's certainly more popular than he is good but Rey's as good a candidate as anyone for "best worker in the company" and if you think that means nothing, look how great he made Ziggler look at SummerSlam because that was a Rey match through and through, his version of Misawa-by-numbers. Ziggler held up his end (and has improved a lot) but you can't overlook who he was working with. Rey pulling rope to keep the belt was a good thing for Dolph anyway, the longer he works with Rey, it's only going to help him improve faster than working, say, Morrison. There's another guy who'd benefit from a feud with Rey, might help him quit dancing/skipping around the ring.

And I agree with the "switch on house show" for both the business reason... AND it'll still keep with "Ziggler can't get it done ON THE BIG SHOW" but as soon as "suspended effective Wednesday September 2nd..." was printed on the website you knew why.

I agree that kids don't go on the net as often, but WWE.com, if they were going to go, seems like it would be the most likely place. I agree, like I said, that this isn't really going to have much impact, if any at all, on his aura, but I think it should. Rey is pushed as a hero to kids.

Guest jaedmc

Where did this story of Rey nixing Dolph's title reign come from? I honestly don't begrudge him, because I think Dolph has actually come out better not winning than if he had just gotten the title. It just feels like a well booked feud, not one that reeks of politicking.

I'm not sure if I totally buy that Rey nixed the Dolph title reigns. WWE never likes to put titles on guys in their first chances. MVP wrestled Benoit a bunch of times before he won the US title, Jeff Hardy had a few misses for the World title. When they "elevate" a guy to the new spot, they seem to like him to fail a bunch of times first before finally getting the title. And it looks like it was the right thing to do, because I don't know that the crowd would have bought Ziggler as the IC champion in July, but he's been in the mix long enough now to where it seems like it would work.

Unless someone is working Dave, he's said repeatedly that the plan was to have the belt on Dolph by now but politics changed the result. He also would mention that Rey was promised a long title run when he was making noise about leaving. It was never explicitly stated that Rey personally changed the finish, but it was clear those were the dots the reader was supposed to connect.

Also this:

-Rey Mysterio did an interview for the newspaper Record in Mexico. He said he was suspended for a drug he was using for his knee and arm that he has a prescription for. He said that due to going on vacation, and then being sent to the U.K. by the company to promote SummerSlam, he wasn't given word of his test failure until Wednesday and was told he had to provide the prescription record by Thursday and it wasn't enough time. Then they announced the suspension.

So they tell a guy when he's on the other side of the world that he has a day to provide a prescription. If that's not a sign that he was being taught a lesson for expecting the company to live up to their side of the bargain, it's at least a pretty awesome dick move on their part.

Or he's just lying to cover his ass. The WWE never did announce exactly what drug he tested positive for. Then again, this is the WWE we're talking about; not like they're averse to screwing someone over when they feel like it. Then again, if Rey really did have a legal prescription for this drug and was indeed manipulated into failing a test he should've passed, you'd think he would be making a hell of a lot more noise about his innocence. That's the kind of thing you could sue the company for, and win, if you're truly in the right.

I don't recall WWE announcing what people failed Wellness tests were taking since the Harry Smith fiasco.

Also, this is the wrestling business. There's been tons of things that guys could and should have sued over but didn't because it will effectively blackball them from plying their trade. I mean, yeah he could always find work in Mexico but I don't really think he's eager to go back to working bullrings in TJ after being a WM main event.

Rey's comments just came off sounding like a dude who realizes he's been worked by a pro and will just take his punishment and move on.

If i worked for a company who has a drug testing policy in place, and my doctor gave me a legal prescription for my knee and arm. I would be the biggest moron in the world for not making sure my bosses had a copy of said prescription before i was tested. In fact i would think it would be part of the policy that you had to disclose any and all drug use prescriptions.