Pro Wrestling Only

Jackie Sato vs Shinobu Kandori 07.18.87

GSR

Hopefully someone will be able to answer this, and I am thinking that this place would be the best to ask.

I was recently reading some old issues of the Observer and came across the Jackie Sato obituary. I was completely unaware that Sato actually made a return in the mid 80s after her initial retirement, and was part responible for the formation of the JWP promotion. I then learned that she ended up having a match with Shinobu Kandori in 1987, where the latter was convinced to put a legit beating on Sato, which led to Sato's retirement. I was wondering whether anyone knows if this Sato vs Kandori match is available and in circulation. The date listed was 18th July 1987.

Any help is appreciated.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer this, and I am thinking that this place would be the best to ask.

I was recently reading some old issues of the Observer and came across the Jackie Sato obituary. I was completely unaware that Sato actually made a return in the mid 80s after her initial retirement, and was part responible for the formation of the JWP promotion. I then learned that she ended up having a match with Shinobu Kandori in 1987, where the latter was convinced to put a legit beating on Sato, which led to Sato's retirement. I was wondering whether anyone knows if this Sato vs Kandori match is available and in circulation. The date listed was 18th July 1987.

Any help is appreciated.

Found the following on Dan Ginnetty's List:

Joshi #156 – TV shows

JWP documentary: Wrestlers training, shopping, daily life, etc. + clips (Sato vs. Kandori)

Joshi Mix - Volume 193 [4hrs]

-JWP Handheld 1987

Jackie Sato vs Shinobu Kandori (end cut)

The first is probably Kandori's debut, but the second my very well be the match in question. The hand held on that same tape is from Oct. 1987 so it's feasible that this is the 7/1987 match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally saw the match. The shoot started after Kandori threw legit punches at Sato, making her cheek all puffy. From what I saw, it wasn't provoked as Sato doesn't fight back, but she keeps telling Kandori to bring it. Sato was kind of laughing/smirking through this. Later, Kandori straddled her and paintbrushed her. Eventually, Jackie leaves the ring after getting dominated, then jumps back in again for some strange reason. She eventually got a little bloody but hung in there. She didn't stand a chance on the ground, as she got dominated there too. It cuts off before the end of it unfortunately. It was kind of weird, as it became obvious that it was a shoot, but no one ever bothered to try and stop it. Not sure what the reason for it was. It's on 193.

156 has an original JWP documentary on their rookies. It was so funny to see a skinny 15-year old Dynamite Kansai(Miss A), a very young Ozaki and a really dorky looking Cuty Suzuki(Along with Xochitl Hamada, Esther Moreno and 14 other rookies). The video is a bunch of super short clips(no full matches) mixed with JWP and some comedians goofing around and some ordeal with a young kid watching a JWP show. It also has Rumi Kazama singing. Believe it or not, she was probably the best looking girl in the promotion at this point. The Sato/Kandori match on here is from the first show I think, and they show less than 1 minute of it. There are also some quick clips with Sensational Sherri, Luna Vachon and Lola Gonzalez. This video has terrible editing and really makes no sense at all, but it's interesting.

• 4 years later...

Wow! A thread bump 3 years later. I got this match uncut the other day, and it is an interesting one.

It does look like Kandori starts the trouble, but Jackie doesn't back away.

She takes everything Kandori can dish out, but when it gets to the mat, Jackiw cannot hang with her.

The bell rings, only to be met by silence, then a smattering of applause.

Brutal match.

Dan Ginnetty