Pro Wrestling Only

The History of the World Heavyweight Championship

MikeCampbell

Well, it's pro wrestling. I don't expect people to be honest, but consistency is nice.

Although what does it tell you about how dense Chapman is that he's become the go-to wrestling historian for World Wrestling Entertainment and he doesn't start to question whether or not he's been doing something wrong? When you're essentially told that you are telling people the version of wrestling history that Vince McMahon wants people to believe by his own organization, I'd think maybe you'd start going over your notes, trying to find where you fucked up. Not that Vince has a whole lot invested in Gotch or Caddock, but that still seems like it should set off some warning signals.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Documentaries in general tend not to lend themselves to the full truth. It becomes homogenized into something that is easy for the viewer to digest quickly. In this case does WWE even have a dog in the historical fight? Easy enough to get quotes from a historian and get to Flair as quickly as possible.

Chapman also interviewed for the AWA dvd. Did they even get new footage or did they just recycle those interviews?

• 1 month later...

Watching this myself now. The early part of the documentary is complimentary towards Gotch, Thesz, Lewis, etc. That's probably the most important part of a fluff documentary like this one. Interesting choice of narrator whose name I don't recall offhand, but I know he's done work for Ric Burns' documentaries in the past. Kiniski's interview is fun but in fairness to him, it's an old interview and he certainly wouldn't know it would appear on a dvd documentary 15 years in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

That's how the Florida matches exist. They're 16mm film and clipping was done live.

Except for TV matches, right? I ask because that Families Of Wrestling set they released has Bob Orton Sr. & Jr. tag match (basically an extended squash) from '76 on there that's shown in full, with Gordon Solie and Bob Roop on commentary.