Pro Wrestling Only

Best Angles That Didn't Pan Out

Johnny Sorrow

I'm sure Jerome knows this already but there was a Shane v. Pillman match from WCW Sat Night in late 92 at the front end of the Blondes v. Douglas/Steamer feud. Match is excellent and far better than any tag match out of the feud. Shane also had a very good match with Austin from the same period.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Jerome knows this already but there was a Shane v. Pillman match from WCW Sat Night in late 92 at the front end of the Blondes v. Douglas/Steamer feud. Match is excellent and far better than any tag match out of the feud. Shane also had a very good match with Austin from the same period.

Actually I didn't know that. I'm not too familiar with WCW TV from that time period, I mostly know of the PPV and Clash matches. Sounds very interesting. The more I watch Douglas, the more I enjoy him.

It bugs me on some level that there was never a payoff to Jake turning on Warrior. Does anyone know if Jake attacking the Savage/Liz wedding reception only to have Sid intervene was planned from the get go or was a last second changed after Warrior held Vince up for money?

It bugs me on some level that there was never a payoff to Jake turning on Warrior. Does anyone know if Jake attacking the Savage/Liz wedding reception only to have Sid intervene was planned from the get go or was a last second changed after Warrior held Vince up for money?

I don't know all the details (except that Hogan-Sid was planned for WM VIII already), but it's possible there was a plan to pair Sid and Warrior to face Jake and Undertaker. I do remember that Sid was first facing Undertaker in casket matches on house shows, so it's possible they were planning on Warrior-Jake matches at house shows as well.

That being said, I'm just speculating on that point.

Per the Observer on the WON site before SummerSlam '91, Jake and Warrior were supposed to start on the house shows against each other as of October (Jake was out with an injured neck around this time) after Warrior finishing his house show run with Taker. They also teased an Undertaker/Sid confrontation on the TV tapings from that episode, so Sid vs. Undertaker was clearly something they had in the works as well. Knowing the way WWF worked in that era, my guess is they would have done a loop around with Warrior vs. Jake and Sid vs. Taker, before doing a series of Warrior/Sid vs. Jake/Taker. As it was, Sid replaced Warrior in house show matches, first against Undertaker immediately after the SummerSlam, and then against Roberts in October, but Sid got hurt early enough into that house show run that they never really did a loop with Savage/Sid vs. Taker/Jake, just a few matches.

It's pretty astounding how over Sid was as a face right before Royal Rumble 92. There's a squash matched taped right the rumble where the crowd is just molten for him. Equally amazing is how little heat he got after the heel turn when they paired him with Harvey. He'd be putting jobbers on stretchers and putting Hogan bandannas on them and breaking Virgil's face and the fans were just sitting on their hands. I saw Sid in a casket match against Taker when I was 10 or so. Actually, I'm not sure if I saw it or if we decided to leave early to beat traffic. It's all a bit of a blur.

Edit: This might be the squash I'm thinking of: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4f2c1_si...ike-casey_sport It was filmed before Rumble and aired the week after it. Funny cartoony Repo Man promo there too.

It's pretty astounding how over Sid was as a face right before Royal Rumble 92. There's a squash matched taped right the rumble where the crowd is just molten for him. Equally amazing is how little heat he got after the heel turn when they paired him with Harvey. He'd be putting jobbers on stretchers and putting Hogan bandannas on them and breaking Virgil's face and the fans were just sitting on their hands.

Sid was made to be a face, despite his psycho character. His feud with Diesel in 95 was a borefest, much like anything he did while being paired with DiBiase. Of course it was WWF 95, and the Million Dollar Corporation was a lame faction with lame angle, but still, he was freaking Sid.

Yet, he was crazy over when he came back as a face in 96, much like he was in 91-92 when he showed up the first time around. I don't remember how the crowd reacted to him during his millenium man stint in WCW. I think that might have been the most over he was as a heel, no?

Edit: This might be the squash I'm thinking of: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4f2c1_si...ike-casey_sport It was filmed before Rumble and aired the week after it.

WBF magazine. Oh, Vince...

I loved squash matches. Ah, to be 14 again...

Anyway, was Sid the first guy to popularise the chokeslam in the US ? It's odd how this became a huge finisher spot from the mid 90's on, I guess with The Giant (and 911 in ECW), but it really wasn't put over as much before.

Taker used it early on off the ropes, but it was really more of a choke drop sort of thing. The one Sid does to Virgil in the lead up to WM 8 is almost completely one-handed without using the other hand to help lift/support. It's NUTS.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40zf5_si...ale-wolfe_sport

All the stories from Bruno's book make the "Don't touch the little guy!" comments more funny for some reason.

Yeah, Taker's wasn't really a chokeslam as we know it.

As far as the powerbomb goes, I heard Spivey day he was the one bringing it back from Japan, as he stole it from Tenryu. And basically Sid got it from Spivey. Wasn't Terry Gordy doing powerbombs in the 80's in Texas already ?

Guest Cobra Commander

Sid seemed pretty over as a face all the way back to 1990 in the NWA (especially when the Horsemen were feuding with other heels), and it just took an unnaturally long time for him to get a run as a face (I think his runs as a face in 1999/2000 WCW was the longest face run he had). Granted, Sid also never seemed to have a run of over 6 months in a row without getting hurt, fired, or leaving.

Im being kind of liberal in my use of this thread but Ive got questions about this angle:

Ive only ever saw Doug's promo and not the beginning. What was and wasnt agreed on to be said? What lead up to Doug going off? Was there a payoff?

• 2 months later...

Shane Douglas vs Brian Pillman in March 1996. Pillman couldn't work back then, and ended up in the WWF shortly thereafter, but the few confrontations they two had got nuclear heat. It's funny how ECW was a laboratory for dismissed wrestlers from WCW and WWF. Steve Austin's short stint was really a way for him to show what his Stone Cold character could be. Of course since no one was watching ECW Vince turned him into the mute and dull Ringmaster, the creative genius that he is. Pillman basically kept on digging his Loose Cannon gimmick, which was a bit forced at times, but still was a formidable heat magnet in ECW. Douglas was a fantastic worker at this time, it's really too bad they could never work a few matches.

Douglas wanted to bring in Pillman to wrestle him at November to Remember '97, but Heyman told him Brian wouldn't be alive by then, and he was right.

Interesting. What's the source on this?