Pro Wrestling Only

Steamboat DVD

Al

Watch the '84 match with Flair and let us know how it is.

I'm not tremendous when it comes to ratings and describing matches. It's a full hour with mostly mat work. Steamboat really tries to grind Flair down with headlocks for most of that match. I think it's probably well worth checking out, as long as you can get through the Steamboat/Striker commentary. Steamboat tiptoes around kayfabe and they simply don't spend a lot of time focusing on the match.

Yeah, I didn't care much for the Steamboat/Striker commentary on all three matches they're used for. Steamboat spent much time keeping kayfabe about various topics. Interestingly enough, I think Striker at times was trying to open things up more by bringing up some more "controversial" subjects (political stuff, which guys weren't as good as he hoped, etc.).

The '84 match is probably worth checking out, but I echo Al's thoughts that it didn't blow me away. Solid match overall, and due to the rareness of it, it's a worthy addition. Don't go in expecting your most dynamic Steamboat-Flair match though.

• 4 weeks later...

I was relieved that I could watch Austin/Steamboat sans the extra commentary. (Jesse is intact.) I assume that's the case on disc two as well but I have to go back to that one and check. This is really a fantastic set though. Everyone has a copy of WM III and the Clash match by now. But the Steamboat/Dustin tag match hasn't appeared in decades. Steamboat/Rude is a good match, and I dare say no match since has matched their use of the ironman gimmick.

Brock-Angle sucked a dick. It's probably the least of the WWE iron man matches on tape (I wish there was footage of Rockers-Rougeaus and Strike Force-Islanders). Bad brawling + bad stalling for 60 minutes = Blech.

Did you not like the story either?

The concept of Lesnar/Angle was fine but it got painful to watch for awhile. Steamboat/Rude never seemed to drag. I think the ironman match is probably much too difficult to really work over a full hour.