Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  2. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  3. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  4. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  5. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  6. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  7. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  8. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  9. Give me "Things posted at PWO that made Loss lose his lunch all over his keyboard" for $200, Alex
  10. I'm shocked Rocky Mountain Thunder lasted in the business, even in a minimal capacity, until 1995. I hope he got better in the ring than he was back in the late 80's when he was almost killing AWA job guys left and right.
  11. There has to be some sort of access to the VOD for Canada. It is/will be eventually the main reason I would subscribe to the network.
  12. Wait, the network is being offered as a pay TV channel in Canada? If I read that right...WTF????
  13. Though I saw little of it growing up, from my viewing experience over the years I find I can't imagine anyone but Lance Russell calling Memphis as effectively. To that end, mention Memphis and I think of Lawler, then Dundee, and then Russell. I don't think there is another promotion that I can say I would think of their announcer within the top three "first thought" people I associate with it. So I went with Lance.
  14. One of the most endearing aspects of the AWA was their tendency to turn long-time killer heels face as their careers progressed, usually towards the end of what one would perceive as the end of their time as a winning guy. As such, you got the best of both worlds, since the guys were still brawling heels, but they were now beating up other heels and teaming with the faces, often "teaching them how to be mean and to fight dirty." A point brought up during the DVDVR AWA project was how often the faces in the AWA cheated and got away with it. That in itself probably swayed a lot of people in the area to cheer the heels over time. A lot of the old time AWA guys I talk to definitely had a heel preference in their tastes.
  15. Plus they added old Stampede 1979 TV, AWA TV from 1981, and WCCW TV right through April of 1984 on a rotating basis. There seemed to be a new AWA TV show every second month, for example, and something else in the other month. You would get some "unseen" matches in the HOF segments, which they rotated every month, and when it was a repeat of someone they did previously they would add different matches. Plus the Shorties often had "new" matches on it depending on the theme. Never mind there was usually a different MSG, Philly or Boston show each month. The lack of even the most minimal of old school uploads given the content they have in the bank from CoD alone is baffling to me. An update schedule even monthly like they did with CoD would solve most of the complaints listed in this thread. Ten bucks for ten hours of new material every month? Everyone's happy. I haven't even got this yet being in Canada. Hopefully by the time it gets here they will start uploading some stuff that will make getting a sub a no-brainer.
  16. I am so going there the next time I'm in the Twin Cities. **drools uncontrollably**
  17. Malenko's speed would be the intial separator that the average fan would probably point to. Dean had to be quicker given the guys he was working with when he was getting all his attention, because his opponents worked pretty fast. I don't think you can say the same about Dory at any given point, but that's more a product of the era where each wrestled in their prime. At an even more base level, Dory looking over 50 for his entire career has to work against him right from the get-go, at least in comparison to others with a similar style.
  18. Pretty much sums up my Malenko experience in a nutshell.
  19. Maybe not on TV but Baba's NWA title wins were chronicled in the magazines of the time, at least against Race. Unsure of any coverage the Brisco switch might have gotten at the time. Others like Veneno were never acknowledged even in the mags.
  20. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  21. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  22. I hate the hot tag/clothseline both opposing team members several times spot. Very unbelievable that guys get hit with a clothesline and then immediately spring back up for another one. Happens in singles matches too, of course. I would guess the tag version sprung out of the expectation that the fans were going too apeshit about a good hot tag to notice it too much, and it caught on as a visual that looked fine in the immediacy of the match.
  23. Abdullah the Butcher was a lot scarier as a performer live and up-close than he was on TV. Dan Kroffatt looked like he could jump up to the roof in person. ...come to think of it, every wrestling event I've ever attended has always had me marvel at how small the ring looks in person as opposed to how it looks on TV. That in itself makes pretty much everyone seem like they're better live, because the space they are executing their moves and their match seems so much more confined.
  24. The people I discussed it with as a kid/teen did basically the same thing. We would discuss what made the most sense if it happened, what was likely to happen, and what we hoped would happen. I remember seeing Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel on TV in 1979 in a non-title match as a soon-to-be-ten year old. When they began promoting the July Minneapolis card with a Greg-Bock main event, I was already surmising that it would be cool if Greg won the title, but he wouldn't win it in that first match, guessing whether it would be a two or three match series, and knowing if it got to a cage match that Greg wouldn't win the title but he would win the match. I was doing that without knowing anything about the concept of booking as it related to wrestling, in terms of the terminology.
  25. From my experience, it was the co-operation aspect that led to the knowledge that the matches were pre-determined somehow. But yeah, those two ideas were arrived at fairly early on in my or anyone else I knew that watched it's viewing experience.
×
×
  • Create New...