Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. Martel vs. Bockwinkel from 1978 is good. Heenan is confined to a cage at ringside. There is a Bockwinkel vs. Tsuruta bout from 1979 that is also very good, and long. It just appeared on a Japan Classics show a while back. Interesting as Tsuruta/Tenryu and Baba all came over to the AWA for a few dates a few days before that (2/10/79 in Minny, Jumbo/Tenryu vs. High Flyers and Baba vs. Bock, plus Baba vs. Abby in Chicago the next night). They all ended up in Hawaii a few nights later. Not sure if Bock went to Japan with them afterwards or just came back to the AWA. I have a Buddy Rose vs. Billy Francis bout from the same time frame listed but I'd have to watch it again to see how good it is, or if it's complete before I could recommend it.
  2. Amateur wrestler. He was a big enough deal when Verne signed him up that they put a match of his with Mad Dog Vachon in Chicago on ABC's Wide World of Sports. That was a pretty big deal back in the day. Taylor died around 1979. Billy Robinson was a close friend and came on TV after it happened to talk about him, and when the producer tried to cut him off due to time running out he almost lost his shit on him.
  3. Whatever works for you.
  4. Pinball, that's right. Went bananas in their community too and became an outcast.
  5. Not really... doesn't strike me in that way. A real Psychologist would probably argue that Ric has been trying to kill himself for decades with his all-party, all-the-time lifestyle. Personally, I suspect he'll die in some sort of penis helicopter accident.
  6. Those are the two biggest things that make Matysik unlistenable and unreadable for me at this point. Gary Cubeta was nuts, FWIW. He got clawmaster to send his results to him to use in the "booking sheet" interviews and got so demanding in trying to get them that claw basically had to cut him off (all of the booking sheet interviews are straight from Claw's results. Gary had little to zero knowledge about the things going on for someone in an area or a timeframe without them). He then went bananas and turned the entire Sports and Wrestling forum against him in record time. Further research on the guy showed a similar history on a video game board that he is/was right into. We should be happy he did so many interviews before losing his shit. I listened to a few of these back in the day and I liked Bob Barnett's interview about California wrestling quite a bit, much to my surprise.
  7. There is part of a Bock title defense against Jim Brunzell on one of Cornette's garbage film discs, FWIW. I wouldn't be surprised if the date of the match was Oct. 14th in 1979.Or in that range .In the Crockett book they have a poster for the match with that date. Just an FYI. Thanks. I have no idea what the date range on those garbage tapes is...although I'm sure someone has put a list together of probable timeframe/dates somewhere.
  8. You bring the shovel, I'll pick the burial plot.
  9. Those Reslo tapes have their moments. Every once in a while you get something from the States that never aired. But some of it is "eeek"-worthy, to be sure.
  10. Bock had certain free agent privileges as AWA Champion because Verne trusted him completely. With the AWA schedule lighter than other areas, Bock would make time to travel down to the Mid Atlantic, Georgia, Hawaii, Stampede and other areas not commonly looked at as AWA-affiliated. Bock made cash and the AWA title got more exposure. Win-win. Without looking it up I'm guessing most of Bock's out-of-Territory matches took place in the summer. Just a guess, though. I remember seeing a result IIRC from Georgia with Bock defending against Adrian Adonis. I would KILL to find a tape of that one. There is part of a Bock title defense against Jim Brunzell on one of Cornette's garbage film discs, FWIW.
  11. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  12. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  13. Damn...so do we!
  14. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  15. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  16. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  17. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  18. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  19. FWIW, if something like this ever did seriously get going, I have most of the 70's Apter mags that I would look at contributing to the project as well.
  20. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  21. There is an old one or two kicking around...I think one of the Central States documentaries has almost a full match in black and white of Geigel. Not sure if it's on youtube or not. Nothing stands out from my memory about him from when I saw the bout, so I'll say "meh" until I can watch it again.
  22. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  23. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  24. I must say I've enjoyed this thread and the match reviews a lot and it's compelled me to seek out some of these on youtube when I have the chance. Kudos.
  25. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
×
×
  • Create New...