Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. Tremendous learning tool right here. Kudos for everything so far.
  2. Arrrrrgh.... Links to matches like that are why we can't have nice things here.
  3. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  4. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  5. Too complicated for him. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (...that should work)
  6. Just don't get a concussion or you might not remember what you were going to talk about. (I'll assume you knew I was joking, of course...)
  7. Good. We were tired of all the one-word answers you contribute to every other thread.
  8. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  9. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  10. Nice.
  11. I got a bunch from Charles Warburton back in the day that were very nice quality-wise. Same with a couple of discs that Bob Barnett came up with a few years back. Barnett's stuff was more old film clips from what I remember, but very cool nonetheless.
  12. My commentary was tongue in cheek. It has become apparent in reading people's thoughts on this set that the stock of the AWA has risen in the eyes of many, and that is a good thing.
  13. I'll give this a listen soon but I'm kind afraid to. Nobody likes hearing criticism of their children no matter how many good things are said about them beforehand.
  14. This is the 1977 Strongman contest that Patera was in. There are a bunch of parts to it. Not sure if watching it will help your context any further than what you already have from Kris (I haven't watched them myself but I did scroll in to see Patera is featured a few times). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7urTKKMsMD8 I'm still waiting for the results thread that was supposed to go up on S&W for Patera but nothing yet.
  15. I'm assuming at this point, the answer to the question Loss asked to start the thread is a resounding "yes".
  16. That's what I remember it being like.
  17. I'd actually suggest finding some Meltzer 4 star matches first, and then go to the 5-star stuff, to see if you can notice a difference in the match quality, presentation, etc. Might be a different way to get a feel for Japanese wrestling. Just a suggestion.
  18. Context. The former was a big part of the 80's push to be the main game. The later 90's and the WCW wars were different.
  19. It becomes a valid point because Vince keeps forcing the issue. His failed forays into football, boxing PPV promotion, and bodybuilding (the key failures from "my" era of watching the WWF expand) make it easy to argue the "well, he's great at wrestling promoting but he sucks at the other stuff he wants to get into" point. I would guess he's gotten "better" at his outside-wrestling-endeavours (movies, for example) since he has the means to surround himself with people that actually know how to make forays into the field(s), but I can see how the idea of Vince's "Genius" is hampered by those excursions outside of the WWE's base product for some people. At the end of the day, for me, he cleaned out all his competition (some by his hand, some by the competition's own idiocy)...his genius is that he made himself the only real game in town, which allows him to pursue and succeed/fail in his other projects almost at his leisure. He has to get his due.
  20. I was going to put this one in and didn't because of the same thing you said. Damn bookers.
  21. "I had the idea for the first ____ match".
  22. I'm not a fan of Matysik but the St. Louis stuff on video is pretty good in spots.
  23. Be lucky that's the part of that rant that stuck with you, and not "Balls like Melons".
  24. There are a good dozen discs available that Larry released some years back (at least I think Larry released them). There is some other tv available as well.
  25. I still have my context write-ups for the AWA matches I posted at dvdvr somewhere. When I find them, I'll toss them up.
×
×
  • Create New...