In Canada, it's an excellent-paying job with top-notch benefits and good hours in certain environments, such as in a public school system, a provincially-run Casino, a University or College, or a government building.
In other environments, like a contract-outfit that bids on jobs for a finite term, it stinks. Minimum wage, no benefits, shitty hours.
Most jobs are like this to a certain degree, I think, in the sense that the circumstances that you perform the job in are somewhat important in how the job is perceived by those not doing it.
The difference with janitorial work is it still carries a stigma even if you're at the top-end of the food chain in terms of wage, benefits, etc.
"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a janitor for the Public School Board."
"oh...." (conversation dies, despite the fact that the janitor makes great money and has excellent benefits)
***
"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a janitor for a lowball, fly-by-night operation."
"oh...." (conversation dies, and the janitor is glad since his job sucks for pay and hours and general working conditions)
Same reaction, different circumstances. Only one is really correct.