Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

El-P

Members
  • Posts

    18681
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by El-P

  1. The fact he can genuinely love pro-wrestling matches that much after more than 30 years of watching and covering it is actually a pretty refreshing thought. Better that than to be a salty mofo bitching and moaning about snowflakes on a weekly basis.
  2. I thought it made Conrad look like a juvenile douchebag.
  3. You don't say. Maybe Bruce is finally getting tired of it. The show was pretty nondescript, which was a surprise considering the era we're talking about. It's notable Conrad didn't go into weeks of build-in before tackling down the show, which I guess did not help this time around, there was not much in term of context. Still a funny story, JR getting pissed off because Bischoff was holding his fridge hostage.
  4. I expect a great thread tomorrow morning when I wake up, at least. Make it entertaining, people.
  5. It just occurred to me that SummerSlam 98 was 20 years ago. It was probably my highest point of being a WWF fan, as it got on a downward slope all through the following year until I quit. It's kinda crazy when I think about it. It seemed *so* important to me back then. Interesting that the show was the topic of Prichard's latest podcast, and it was done without any excitement nor interesting story. Odd, as it was a time where the WWF was getting red hot. Fast forward today, despite a renewed interest in (some aspect of) the product around the mid 2010's, at this point I feel like I'm missing absolutely zilch by not bothering to watch. The company is making more money than ever thanks to the ridiculous TV fee bubble and, well, those neat checks from you-know-who, they sign every damn talent available to feed their system, yet the product has probably never been so sterile.
  6. El-P

    WWE Evolution

    Hot blonde character of 15 years ago vs hot blonde character of today. Says of lot, actually.
  7. Wow. Is the bloom off the rose with NXT ? It's the first time I remember such a tiedous reaction thread to a Takeover. Especially considering Gargano/Ciampa was like the greatest WWE thing ever just a few months ago. So Matt Riddle showed up ? When you think he was on Joey Janela's show against PCO just a few days ago. Quite the transition.
  8. Oh fuck the jokes writes themselves ! Even if I wasn't removed from watching WWE stuff, that SS card has absolutely nothing I would care to watch. The biggest match is two guys who feuded 13 years ago in TNA (and had MOTYC then). The only thing I'd actually be interested in is Rusev vs Almas in a "Can we ruin another hot duo" on a pole match. The only way I'm batting an eye at the main event is if the crowd does the 10 count to a buzzer sound then leave during the match. That would be classic.
  9. Quite funny. Who he is facing at SS ?
  10. Wait, when he talks about the "Brotherhood", he doesn't imply shit like the Grand Dragon and stuff ? (just kidding, ok)
  11. He's 65. He got obscene amounts of money from the lawsuit. >>> Retirement. Who the fuck wants to see that guy do anything in 2018 anyway ? Childhood memories are the lamest thing anyway (not even talking about mine, I was never a fan).
  12. Damn, it just clicked with me why he was so big on "Brother !".
  13. Men's physique and body have never EVER been subject to comments in pro-wrestling. EVER. Especially in WWE. As far as "making a difference", well, I would hope Fatu would have talked about how the #WomenEvolutionPPV was a non Saudi Arabia exclusive... Keep taking your vitamins, folks.
  14. I do think he also defended DeMott back then. I guess that's expected out of someone who's stuck in the past on these matters, but it's disappointing nonetheless.
  15. Agree with most of what you're saying here. Just this : It's not their job to fix the misogyny in the company they are working for ? Why would they care about fixing misogyny elsewhere then ? Well, actually, there's a little thing called consistency. And WWE performers aren't working in a factory for minimum wage either. They are "TV stars" and public figures. No control ? Well... You're not happy about these issues ? Just quit then. You think Charlotte Flair can't find another job ? Come on now. WWE guys and girls should union anyway. But hey, I'm fine either way, I'm not asking for anything from anyone, I found the perfect formula : I just stopped watching any WWE stuff.
  16. Meltz making a stupid comment about look : RandomWWEperformer : "Piece of mysoginistic shit ! You're a disgrace ! Sexism don't work for us brother !" "What about those Saudi Shows ?" RandomWWEperformer : "#WomenEvolution !!!! #FirstEverWomenPPV !!!!!" Then again, this is the capitalistic entertainment industry, who the fuck are we kidding ?
  17. Let me try to be clear about that point. Yes, I do think Meltz actual comment was stupid. I do understand she might get angry and/or hurt by it and take it as a manifestation of daily sexism, which should be fought. But since the whole thread began by a cryptic comment about "Dave Meltzer is a disgusting human being and fuck whoever defends him", I was going for broke and all the way with excess too. Then again, if I'm perfectly honest, I'll say this. I totally agree with you in that it's not a matter of either/or (it never is). Still, someone who works for a company like the WWE does strikes me as a wee bit hypocritical when she's expressing outrage over a feminist issue while she has no qualms in cashing her checks from her wonderful bosses who deal in really fucking seedy shit on these matters. You can't have it both ways when at the end of the day, acting feminist only works when it doesn't interfere with your little professional aspirations and monthly check. Again, that's not to say she wasn't right to be angry at Meltz and call him on it because she was directly hit by a stupid comment about her look. It's just that you don't speak from a void either. In the grand scheme of things, her *own* reaction to the comment made about *her* was justified. But let's not make it a grand statement about "women" either, that's where it gets way tricky in this context. Maybe. I would hope everyone does.
  18. Ok, but in the grand scheme a things, what do you think matters most ? A stupid comment by Meltz about a worker's look on a weekly podcast or the fact the WWE is doing propaganda work for a State who treats women like second class citizens (among other things) in exchange for an insane amount of green (while promoting a "Women Evolution" PR campaign, just as the cherry on a cake of showing no shame at all) ? One is not close to the other in term of fucking things up, at all. Peyton Royce being angry : totally understood (I would be too). Meltz apologizing : the right thing to do (I would have too). Moral outrage galore and usual hive mentality : complete garbage and rogue waves of hypocrisy.
  19. It's social media. It's the fact people are hiding behind a keyboard. I'm sure 99% would never ever act that way during an argument or a discussion IRL. Well, I may be optimistic, but I do believe it would be the case. Immediacy of exchange helps. (one day a known movie reviewer and I were arguing on some movie blog, and he ended up working himself so hard he told me I didn't deserve to be called a human being ! A common friend told me after the fact he was actually super nice and easy going IRL but was regularly losing his shit on Internet)
  20. Of course not good enough, what do you expect from these people ? A functioning brain ?
  21. Oh man, yeah, this one is brutal. And yeah, Meltz apologized. You know, like real people, not mindless corporate drones and Twitter-low-IQ sheep, do. I also learned the meaning of "on the spectrum" today (I mean, in English I had no idea what it meant), so I got something out of this mess. And if that is the case, all more support to Meltz (no matter if I agree or disagree with him).
  22. Oh, gotta add, must love the personal judgement on someone she doesn't know at the end. Meanwhile, her boss has been accused of sexual harrasment and rape in the past. The company she works for has celebrated a guy who probably killed his girlfriend as a hero on TV no longer than last year. Jerry Lawler, who got away with murder (well, rape on underage, actually) is still employed and presented as a legend. But Dave Meltzer making a remark about diet deserves outrage ? No. Fuck all the hypocrites.
×
×
  • Create New...