-
Posts
18681 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by El-P
-
Heart attack… not exactly a shocker. Sad to hear. I enjoyed Mabel a lot too back in the M.O.M. days. Just ridiculous highspots for such a big guy, and the colorful outfit was cool in an über90's way. If I had followed WWE at the time, I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed his Big Daddy V. stint quite a bit since I'm a sucker for big fat wrestlers that can go. Certainly a character from my teenage years that'll always remember.
-
Benoit vs Malenko, Hog Wild 96.
-
Yeah, pretty much. TNA also deserves the honor for being the most irrelevant pro-wrestling company ever. It only laster that long because some people are willing to lose money. They never drew shit. They never made one star. They aren't a blimp on the wrestling radar. Yet they have outlasted WCW already. It's amazing. (that also says something about the ultra-slow evolution, or should I say the status-quo in the pro-wrestling scene since 2001)
-
The stalling at the beginning was fun, but the match wasn't good. Hogan was still experimenting with the Hollywood character, and the Giant simply wasn't a good worker yet. Ed Leslie comes off like a total suck up douchebag and gladly he wasn't included in the nWo (yet). I guess Hall & Nash had to fight against it, it would have been a pretty big stain on the angle. The spraypainting was Hall & Nash's idea too. Brillant.
-
[1996-08-10-WCW-Hog Wild] Scott Hall & Kevin Nash vs Sting & Lex Luger
El-P replied to Loss's topic in August 1996
Good match, with Hall being the standout. It seems to me that the finish was actually blown a little bit, as Luger couldn't get Hall up and Patrick had to delay his "accidental" screw-up. -
I'd rather stare at Liz and Woman in mini-shorts doing nothing for 30 minutes. This is just a bombfest with zero dynamic (your turn/my turn for 30 minutes) and no effort to involve a dead crowd. Yeah, worked in a vaacum. Ultimo vs Rey craps on this match so hard it's not funny. And the timekeeper announcing that only 5 minutes were left as a total giveaway made it even more annoying. It's telling that Woman interfering got the most heat. I don't blame the crowd. Most overrated match of the year.
- 18 replies
-
Inspired by the Korakuen post by Loss in the general thread. What are you favourites settings for pro-wrestling and why ? And what are your least favourites ?
-
Korakuen Hall is my all-time favourite pro-wrestling arena.
-
The beat down on Booty Man is awesome and brutal. It's amazing Leslie didn't pop back up on the nWo side until 1998. Really good segment, like most on this Nitro episode were.
- 14 replies
-
- WCW
- Monday Nitro
- (and 8 more)
-
Hilarious !
-
Hilarious since TNA was a Jeff Jarrett vanity promotion from day one. Now it seems like it became a Dixie Carter vanity promotion.
-
Apart from the lack of secondary titles, the new layout is really pretty damn great. Good job.
-
They don't have title shots anymore Loss, they are "championship opportunities." Aww man. And you wonder why I can't stand the product.
-
This week's edition's got Don Callis. Now there's an interesting guy who hasn't done a whole lot of interviews.
-
Doesn't bother me for the guys, as it worked wonders for guys like Goldberg or even Batista. I agree about the women though. Pretty misogynic infact. The misandry against Fernando, Diego, Christian and Kane is abhorrent as well. You know what I mean. In cases of male, it's just awkward to me unless it's a very strong character like Kane (which refers to Cain). Christian sounds particulary ridiculous to me for a big time wrestler because it's a very common French first name. I'd guess it's the same with Fernando and Diego for Spanish speaking people. It's like John Cena was just named "John". Think about that. Christian ? Really ? Can I call you Cri-cri ?
-
Okay. Let's pick apart the greatest angle in WCW history. Two incoherences : there's no way Scotty Riggs could have been injured that bad, he only took a garbage can shot. And I don't see how Rey could see four guys, as he litteraly jumped out of the trailer onto Nash's arms and was launched like a dart. Or maybe he saw the two other guys looking on from the limo's window just before he jumped. Also, Eddie's acting is not too good, honestly. I wonder why they'd have Alex Wright there, as he was not a good promo either. Bu I'm nitpicking, it's still totally awesome for all the reasons mentionned before. Giving it time was very important. They didn't rush through a two minute match to move into the angle. And they sold it as the show was really dead in its tracks like Loss said. The one great thing too is that we don't actually get to see the attack with the baseball bat, so it's left to the imagination, which makes it better. Jimmy Hart was great and the perfect choice because it could look like a ploy from the Dungeon. The fact that Luger listened to him first was a nice detail too. Benoit & Rey were excellent backstage. They made a big deal out of Rey having his mask removed while being attended too. Woman was great, crying and acting motherly toward Arn, awesome selling of the angle. Heenan's promo was perfect. The announcers all did a top notch job. Yeah, total home run.
- 17 replies
-
- WCW
- Monday Nitro
- (and 18 more)
-
Probably because they needed a clear vision and direction, which Hall & Nash had at the time. Yeah, cutting-edge stuff, kinda like ECW was doing at the same time, in a different way. It's also the first time we get to see the nWo logo, which was great and would become a crazy merchandising sale soon. And the first time we hear the nWo theme, which was also great, with those Hendrix samples and loops. Yeah, for a promotion which used generic music and didn't do any great production tricks up 'til then, this was pretty revolutionnary. Gotta love the attention to the details, with the way they introduced those vignettes as being paid for during the TV advertisements by the nWo. One question : who is filming the Sting beatdown ? Damn...
- 10 replies
-
- WCW
- Saturday Night
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
[1997-09-05-WWF-Friday Night's Main Event] Goldust vs Brian Pillman feud recap
El-P replied to Loss's topic in September 1997
They should have gone shooty a bit on this one, playing up on the fact Terri used to date Pillman for a while before she met Dustin. If you believe Terri's shoot interview, the pay-off would have been awesome, with Dustin and Terri renewing their vows in a wedding ceremony, only to have Marlena betray Goldust and go back with Pillman, complete with a beatdown and Terri's wedding gown sprayed with blood. Damn, I would have loved this. -
I don't think Mongo looked that bad. Yeah, he screwed up some stuff, and at one point Sting kinda refused to go up for a suplex and grabbed the top rope, which led o a badly blown spot, but he also delivered some dynamic athletic big man offense. People forget he was a banged up 40 year old rookie thrown into upper-midcard matches/TV main events right away. Anyway, decent match, nothing special. Savage barely hits the ring. Speculation that Flair was in the limo. That would have been too much. This week's Nitro was on the lighter side as far as nWo angle went, with nothing much happening apart from Hall & Nash crashing the TV truck. And yeah, that Benoit/Woman confrontation is uncomfortable as all hell to watch now.
- 9 replies
-
- WCW
- Monday Nitro
- (and 10 more)
-
Indeed. I got a kick out of Austin talking about the Hakushi theme.
-
Doesn't bother me for the guys, as it worked wonders for guys like Goldberg or even Batista. I agree about the women though. Pretty misogynic infact.
-
I was talking about Sable.