Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-10-FMW] Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka & Koji Nakagawa vs W*ING Kanemura & Mitsuhiro Matsunaga & Hido (No Rope Barbed Wire Spider Net Double Hell Death)

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This had a lot more wrestling than I thought, and really I can't help but compare this in my head to the early 00s Hardys TLC matches. It's like them, but with better wrestling, more impressive spots, a better match layout that keeps everyone useful and a stronger heel/face structure. Other than that ...

Anyway, some really inventive spots and daredevil moves, but the pleasant surprise was that this doesn't forget that it's a wrestling match either. I don't know that it's my cup of tea, but I can definitely give the guys involved credit for doing something a little more thoughtful than most matches of this style. Everyone pulls their weight and this deserves the praise it gets.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seem to have missed out on the glass part of the match. This was enjoyable enough but the post match is most memorable to me. I wish I knew exactly what Hayabusa was saying but I took it as he let the fans down by taking the losing fall, but plans to take revenge and throw the FMW team on his back and carry them to a win in the fued with WING. I do hope we get to see more as there are good ways to build off of this match, and this moment.

One disc down, twenty-nine to go. Loving this idea and set. Thanks a lot guys.

I wish I knew exactly what Hayabusa was saying but I took it as he let the fans down by taking the losing fall, but plans to take revenge and throw the FMW team on his back and carry them to a win in the fued with WING.

Well sorta, he was out 4 months after this match until the 5/5 show after this as he took time off to heal injuries.

The feud then became the rest of FMW having to rally together with out him in the mean time with Masato Tanaka leading the way to fight off the heels.

Course after the 5/5 match whear he once more lost then got bitched out by Onita for being a cry baby, he was out AGAIN a few more months during which is when he got the offer from Liger to jump over to New Japan. Course he turned it down so when he came back to FMW they ran an angle with Koji Nakagawa being pissed at him for leaving when they needed him that set up their August match. After which point they made up, Hayabusa came back full time and cemented himself as the ace of the company once & for all.

• 2 years later...

I don't know about this never forgetting that it is a wrestling match (at one point a dude is being raked across the barbed wire ropes while another guy is getting a piece of broken wood jammed into his forehead as a third guy is taking a release german onto the top of his head), but it is damn fun. The dives were all slick and the biggest spots were all teased really well.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the backstory Flik.

I have watched two Busa matches today and liked him a good deal so kudos to him. I thought his dives and wrestling mixed in with this held it all together. The bumps were good and while this lacked some intensity and visceral violence of the best brawls, it was a fun watch. Hot post match too. (***1/4)

• 3 weeks later...

Non-stop action with some sick bumps, but there's some strong character work that comes through as well, so yeah, this is something a little more than just a sick stunt show. Hayabusa is the Man, Hido is an opportunist who can't do much more than make saves, Nakagawa and Tanaka are plucky undersized underdogs, etc. Really good build and teasing of guys going into the spidernets at ringside. Hayabusa even makes a dive *over* the spidernet onto Kanemura, but after Tanaka is power bombed from the apron into the barbed wire, he's out and the numbers overwhelm the babyfaces. Kanemura cuts a promo afterward and the awesomeness comes through even to those who don't speak the language. Pierroth-esque.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-01-10-FMW] Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka & Koji Nakagawa vs W*ING Kanemura & Mitsuhiro Matsunaga & Hido (No Rope Barbed Wire Spider Net Double Hell Death)