Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-31-AAA-Sin Limite] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera (Cage)

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't the best Rey/Juvi match, but there is a certain charm to it, because it feels different from typical Rey/Juvi and definitely has a big match main event feel going for it. They milk the big dramatic moments really well, and do a few crazy spots. Still, for me, it's probably the worst of the big Rey/Juvi matches of the year, which by no means makes it a bad match. The brawling style doesn't really play well to what was the biggest strengths of both guys at the time, even if there are some really nice moments. Comparing this to the Ultraman match, I think Psicosis was by far the best gimmick match worker of the three at this point.

• 1 month later...

I love the finishing sequence with them climbing over each other. Juvi makes like he's going to fall to the floor from passing out, and then they tease throwing each other off the top before falling to their doom.

They really play to the crowd at parts, especially Rey when ties Juvi to the ropes and hits him with a chairshot. Besides the finish, my favorite spot is when Rey goes to spring up the cage and fails to catch hold.

Good stuff.

• 2 years later...

Rey having to toss chairs at Juvi to keep him from escaping the cage is great, as it plays up Rey's size so well. Loved a lot of the spots in this one (especially climbing over each other trying to escape at the end), even if the overall match was just alright.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That is one giant cage. The best part of that is that it eliminates a lot of the contrived drama involving guys slooowly climbing out of a cage barely taller than they are--this really does feel like an ordeal to try to escape. Lots of giant bombs here, and the image of both guys standing on top of this cage that's probably a 20-foot drop to the floor is an intensely dramatic and scary one. Damian interferes and both guys get crotched on top of the cage and fall into the ring for a double KO. Kind of a lame finish for what's really a spotfest of a match, but this was fun.

• 3 weeks later...

All spots that are fun but not a lot of substance here and this is fitting as it sums up the month as a whole again for me with the bones there of something great but everything not exactly coming together. Damian also feels below these guys so him inserting himself feels like a letdown. Cheap finish to boot. Good but not really the great match I kind of hoped for going in. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1996-01-31-AAA-Sin Limite] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera (Cage)