Pro Wrestling Only

New forum layout and some other thoughts

Loss

I've made a few changes to the board, as it feels like it needs a little freshening up:

#1 - I've merged some of the folders that don't get as much activity into the main Pro Wrestling folder, which is no longer called Big Egg Universe by the way.

#2 - I'm going to start heavily moderating "Comments that don't warrant a thread". If you have something to say, I kindly request that you just start a thread. I don't want to say don't use that thread at all, but think about something before you post it. If it's a topic that warrants a long discussion, just start a thread. We don't have so much traffic that posts are going to get lost. I do this too, so I'm not in any way criticizing anyone.

I also want to open this topic for discussion. There is a perception, right or wrong, that PWO is overly negative and focuses too much on the ugly side of wrestling. We post too much about Benoit, we're too critical of Dave and Bryan, we don't seem like fans, etc.

Personally, I think this is bullshit. Yes, this board has tons of Meltzer criticism, but this board also has tons of Meltzer praise. I would say there is probably more praise about Meltzer on this board than just about any wrestling board out there. Who else is recapping issues of the Observer from 20+ years ago? That suggests a certain respect for him. In truth, the Observer just happens to be discussed here quite a bit, maybe overly so. Dave is a great journalist at his best, and most people here have defended him when warranted. But at the same time, because he can be so good, he does get criticized when he falls short.

Anyway, the perceived negativity is one reason I've gotten rid of some of the subfolders. I think the over-compartmentalizing has made people think that this board is all about complaining about Observer columnists and the F4W board, so the insane amount of match reviews, merchandise discussions, old newsletter recaps, etc. don't get seen because they are farther down the page. So now it's all in one place. I know this is a place full of people that love pro wrestling. I also think this board, like many, is full of people who had some conflicts about their fandom when Chris Benoit killed his family. We're hardly unique in that regard.

So in short, I don't want this to necessarily be a big STATE OF THE BOARD discussion, but I do want to welcome anyone who has anything positive or negative about the content on this board to feel free to discuss it here.

I don't think this board is overly negative. I think this place has the best discussion anywhere on pro wrestling. Stuff like the Observer recaps and the Vince vs. the World threads are extremely informative. I think this place has a very good ratio of interesting discussion to bullshit.

I get why you made the changes, and they're good, but I honestly didn't see anything wrong here.

I noticed that the way I view posts seem to be different now. I'm ridiculously low-tech so forgive me if this is a dumb question. It seems everything is now in a tree below a single post view, as opposed to the layout on say DVDVR (i use that as as an example because the boards are the same software i'm guessing). Was this something I did or just a board changeover? If I did it, how do I undo it?

But as far as content goes, I think this board is great. It's rare to find a higher level of discussion on something as inherently ridiculous as pro wrestling, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

I noticed that the way I view posts seem to be different now. I'm ridiculously low-tech so forgive me if this is a dumb question. It seems everything is now in a tree below a single post view, as opposed to the layout on say DVDVR (i use that as as an example because the boards are the same software i'm guessing). Was this something I did or just a board changeover? If I did it, how do I undo it?

Go to the 'Options' button at the top of the thread on the right-hand side and change the view. That should fix it.

I don't really have any complaints, nor do I think my opinion really matters much. My big thing is around these parts, despite watching wrestling for ~25 years, I kinda feel like I don't know shit. Ha! The big posts about potential Sen. McMahon or Lucha or even Indies, I just can't really contribute anymore, either due to underexposure or apathy. Stuff like RAW convo, or TNA clowning...it doesn't really happen. I guess no one really cares about or watches either anymore. I've been banned from pretty much every wrestling forum I've been on, including TSM and DVDVR, mostly because I take things way too seriously and when I argue with people, I tend to get overly heated. So, I know about the "negative content" stuff as I've heard that a lot.

There's also not a ton of activity, really. Which, hopefully the request to make more threads and cut back on the comment thread will help remedy that. I watch RAW still, I watch TNA occasionally (or parts of it) but I still catch PPV of both. I work the rest of the time and no longer buy DVDs or hunt for stuff on-line, so that's really all I know anymore. Talking about AAA or CMLL or NOAH, I just do not know anything and can't contribute.

Worry a little bit about the WON Recaps and other Reference stuff getting buried in the General Pro Wrestling forum, especially if more stuff gets pulled out of the Comments thread into their own threads. The Chris-Nancy thread is reference at this point, though Bix and Keith are pretty faithful in putting new info into it.

Just thinking in terms of finding stuff. It might be useful to have a second forum for the reference-type stuff. Or a subfolder?

Don't know how easy it is to move stuff. Perhaps posting the WON Recaps to the General, but after a certain point move them into the subfolder. Same with discussion threads that after a time look like reference. Chris-Nancy became that, while the WWF vs The World gets to that point in a while as it dies down. Not really viewing it as a "Archive" forum, but more in terms of the type of content.

Does that make any sense?

John

Worry a little bit about the WON Recaps and other Reference stuff getting buried in the General Pro Wrestling forum, especially if more stuff gets pulled out of the Comments thread into their own threads. The Chris-Nancy thread is reference at this point, though Bix and Keith are pretty faithful in putting new info into it.

Just thinking in terms of finding stuff. It might be useful to have a second forum for the reference-type stuff. Or a subfolder?

Don't know how easy it is to move stuff. Perhaps posting the WON Recaps to the General, but after a certain point move them into the subfolder. Same with discussion threads that after a time look like reference. Chris-Nancy became that, while the WWF vs The World gets to that point in a while as it dies down. Not really viewing it as a "Archive" forum, but more in terms of the type of content.

John

It makes sense, and I like the idea. I've created a new folder with what have generally been the most popular threads at PWO. They aren't closed or read-only, they're just in a smaller subforum where they are easier to locate.

John

It makes sense, and I like the idea. I've created a new folder with what have generally been the most popular threads at PWO. They aren't closed or read-only, they're just in a smaller subforum where they are easier to locate.

I like this a lot.

I just want to say I love the board. I love the diversity of opinions and the depth of information from so many of the posters.

I wish I could contribute more but, sadly, I ceased following pro wrestling regularly in 2003. Most of my viewing these days is limited to WWE boxed sets and YouTube clips.

And, Loss, your post reminded me of this:

I don't know where I should ask this so I'll ask it here but would it be possible for someone that has a great deal of knowledge about the Tennesse scene to start a thread & break it all down? Like I have stated b4 I'm a old WWF / WCW/NWA fan but I know next to nothing about the lesser feds & by the looks of the 96 yb & based upon some other comments it sounds like SMW & USWA really had it going on in the early to mid 90's.