Pro Wrestling Only

Flipped Your Opinions

Kronos

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For another "Hogan-esque" example of a wrestler wrestling on a show he NEVER wrestled on from my youth, I vividly remember staying up until Midnight on New Year's weekend when I was 9 (10?) just to watch Lex Luger battle Jacques Rogeau on an episode of WWF Superstars in 1994. It was delayed till late night by the local Fox station that day and I didn't have cable to watch RAW, so Luger on Superstars was a HUGE deal.

I was a massive fan of Luger at that time and even had a "Lex Luger: Made in the USA" t-shirt.

Okay, I'll bow to the crowd. Matt will need to consider those Tiger Chung and Rusty Brooks matches when talking about the evolution of Hogan's work in Big Matches, and I'll make sure to track them down for the Hogan-A-Thon section coming up in the WWF thread.

I'm going to have to fight down the urge to drop "Big Match" when reviewing throw away tv matches. I have been trying to cut down on the snarky comments in the thread in the second 100 matches, other than standard one when Bob takes a two count(!) that he allegedly never took. :)

John

:lol:

And I think we found the tiny difference here! Those matches with the jobbers weren't "big matches", they were "Big Appearences".

Oh and as an aside, who WAS the jobber that Hogan squashed who was sorty dressed like Dusty? And Dusty did the same thing on either TBS or Worldwide, squashing a guy who looked like an emaciated Hogan. I remember this being mentioned in the Apter mags and I THINK the Observer at the time.

For another "Hogan-esque" example of a wrestler wrestling on a show he NEVER wrestled on from my youth, I vividly remember staying up until Midnight on New Year's weekend when I was 9 (10?) just to watch Lex Luger battle Jacques Rogeau on an episode of WWF Superstars in 1994. It was delayed till late night by the local Fox station that day and I didn't have cable to watch RAW, so Luger on Superstars was a HUGE deal.

I was a massive fan of Luger at that time and even had a "Lex Luger: Made in the USA" t-shirt.

I think it was Pierre actually. Yeah, it's sad I remember this. Luger wasn't on Superstar after his face turn, so yeah it was quite an event, but soon after, Luger was on TV every week squashing jobbers.

didn't Hogan appear in Savage's corner in a match against one of the Conquistadors in 1988 on Superstars ( or Challenge)?

Also in 88 he beat the Bolsheviks in a handicap match on Superstars.

God, I really want to see both of those.

I picked up a set of all the SNME's a couple of years ago. I've watched most of it, and Hogan's matches with Volkoff and Race have been two of my favorite things so far. Race bumps like a nut for him, and the Volkoff match is a pretty awesome brawl with good work from both guys. The early SNME's are worth seeing just for the pure camp of a lot of the stuff.

If you like Hogan-Race, get their two matches from MSG in 1987. Fun matches.

John

Oh, totally. I only saw one of them, that I can recall, and they had a spot where Hogan hit race with a big, heavy, cushioned chair at ringside that I believe broke and Race did the woozy dance with it hanging around his neck. At least I think that was the spot. I know for certain Hogan hit Race with a chair like that.