• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The right type of extended squash. BW has been really good in 1993 so far and I am kind of wondering why they shoe horned him in with Muta at SUperbrawl as there feels like so much better stuff he could have done. Scorpio was giving just enough offense before BW puts him away with the Implant DDT which is a great finish. (**)

Muta had the NWA title and they were building Windham up so he could do a big feud with Flair. Watts felt like no one had ever tried going all the way with him and they were going to do it. But first, they needed to get the NWA title off of Muta. I'm pretty sure the Superbrawl angle with Flair was exactly as Watts booked it even though he was out of the picture by then.

• 1 year later...

This was a really fun match, and I was higher on both guys after watching it. I was surprised when I saw it was only 8 minutes, because it felt longer with all they got in. This brought back memories of how much I loved Scorpio in ECW in the 90s. I just really haven't seen most of that since then. This was a good reminder of how cool Scorpio was.

• 5 months later...

I disagree that this did anything for Scorp; he got a few moves in, but most guys above jobber level did when they wrestled guys like Barry on TV. Barry was the one who not only got the win, but looked a lot more impressive doing so.

So the plan was originally for Flair to eventually unify the WCW and NWA belts again, if I'm reading what Loss said right. I would have loved to see this version of Barry against Flair, as the last time Barry challenged Flair in '87 he was still one of Dusty's junior partners, if you will. It's just a shame that Barry blew out his knee before that feud really got going, if I remember what I read right. Still, the buildup should be intriguing.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Scorp in a true main event-level competitive match that's given enough time to develop. WCW can't afford to waste the buzz this guy's generating right now, but knowing this outfit, they'll not only blow it but do so spectacularly.

Was Larry Z the permanent co-host of WCWSN by now. He and JR really mesh well, even in a short bout like this. I liked the line about how the fans should stand up and cheer every time Barry comes to the ring because he's so talented. Gee, Larry, they did until a couple of months ago!

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Barry Windham vs 2 Cold Scorpio