Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-04-AWF] Jushin Liger vs Chris Benoit

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

From Liger's tour of Australia! Excellent quality handheld, by the way.

I've never been overly impressed with most of their matches because it always seemed like they couldn't quite live up to their own standards, but they still have excellent matches. This is more animated than your usual Benoit/Liger match, and I think I like it more for that reason. It's wrestled more American style than New Japan style, in the sense that Liger's comebacks are timed more like they would be for an American audience and Benoit does a lot more complaining about slow counts and that sort of thing.

Hey, if you are patient, you may find hidden clips of a Benoit/Malenko match from the same tour that doesn't look nearly as good but has some nice moments.

Liger-Benoit-Australia-1993.....fuck....yeah

Crisp and nicely worked with a really good crowd. Fun to watch guys like Liger and Benoit, neither could have believed this would been seen in future years, work they way they did. Professional wrestlers here.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Really enjoyed working American style with more character work and antics. Really interesting to see these guys with more pronounced changes in momentum with a babyface/heel dynamic as opposed to give and take. I liked the spot where they fought over a tombstone that saw Benoit connect only for Liger to get his knees up on the splash that followed. Liger finishes it Muto style with a backbreaker & mooonsault combo.

***1/4

• 1 month later...

Not much to add to the comments of this. The match is really good and a excellent showcase for the performers but never kicked into that extra gear to make it great. Liger and Benoit would seemingly have a lot of classics against each other but Loss is right in that I can't recall a slam dunk singles match between them. Keep in mind that I haven't watched the 1992 match so maybe that will be it. ***1/2

BTW I think this disc is my favorite of all the discs on any set I have watched so far. Classic matches, angles and a wide variety of styles. I loved every second of it.

• 1 year later...

This was a nice mixture of styles for the Australian audience: A little lucha, a fair bit of Japanese juniors, and some good old-fashioned North American brawling. We've seen better from these two, but this audience hadn't, and they ate it up with a spoon. Liger gets the clean win with a moonsault.

It seemed to me that the audience wasn't quite sure who to cheer and who to boo, as both men were cheered and jeered at various points.

We got a short glimpse of a Dean Malenko/Benoit match at the very end of the disc that looked promising. Was it just the next match on the disc this match came form, or was it a contender to make the set?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-04-AWF] Jushin Liger vs Chris Benoit