Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-26-WWF-Raw] Interview: Shawn Michaels

Loss

• 1 month later...

Shawn does an awesome promo that really gets the Manhattan crowd very upset and chanting obscenities at him. 1993 may have been his best year, because he wrestled more as a traditional heel and was focused on getting heat and having good matches without most of the distractions he'd later have. Shawn has words for Mr. Perfect, who comes out while Shawn taunts him while he's being held back by everyone. Great stuff.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Was that Green Lantern fan and girlfriend in that heart shaped screen?!!!! That has to be him right?!!!

Yes, that was him.

Shawn goes for the ultra-cheap heat right off the bat, referring to NYC as the armpit of the nation and making a March on Washington crack about two fans. That gets the crowd on his case big-time. Heenan: "They're chanting SHAWN IS GREAT!" God, nobody can make a save like the Brain. We get footage from WM9 of Shawn jumping Mr. Perfect in the back as Perfect was attempting to confront Lex Luger. Shawn mixes up Grover and Oscar in regards to which one lives in a trash can, and Mr. Perfect comes out to correct him. Good enough segment--Shawn is now officially a natural douche, a role that would stick with him the rest of his life.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Green Laterrn Fan prepares to ask his girlfriend to marry him. Shawn's promo was well done here. I don't think Shawn in 93 will match the highs of him in the second half of 97 and I have actually liked his babyface run in 96 more than I had imagined. Surprisingly, I think Shawn has taken a boost overall in my eyes thanks to the yearbooks.

• 1 year later...

I didn't this much, mainly because Savage and Heenan insisted on bantering over top of most of it. I couldn;t tell what they were saying either, so the whole segment ended up a mishmash except for a few good lines ("Shawn is great!", the Grover/Oscar mixup, and one or two others). Shawn's still too self-absorbed to do truly heated, hate-filled mic work; he gives the impression of being above both the fans and the sport itself. He'll ground himself a little more as time goes on.

When Bobby called Shawn the greatest IC champ of all time, I thought Randy would stick up for himself as well as for Curt, but he didn't.

Shawn and Luger would have made a pretty good regular tag team, and in a world where Kevin Nash didn't exist, Luger would have also been a good muscleman for Shawn while maintaining his own career.

I liked Vince telling Shawn that he acts the way he does because he feels that he's not worthy of the fans' love and respect. That's the kind of question/statement that Vince would pose when he hosted TNT and actually cared about getting characters and storylines over instead of the company and its ability to make a spectacle, and I was glad to see it return. Too bad the return wasn't permanent.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-26-WWF-Raw] Interview: Shawn Michaels