Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-14-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Heavy Metal

Loss

• 1 month later...

Tremendous matwork with some counters that should be stolen and used in U.S. indy wrestling today. Santo climbing the ropes with his hands to turn a Boston crab into a flying headscissors is outstanding, and he also does a figure four reversal that would have played very well in Flair matches. Metal goes over in the first fall and third fall to win this one, as Fuerza Guerrera, who is an awesome second, interferes just slight out of the ref's view while Eddy Guerrero, Santo's second, protests. I love lucha title matches!

Guest kowking

I was just about to order this from Lynch, but he seems to have it listed as having happened on May 23, 1993, and doesn't have a AAA event from May 14. Are we talking about the same match, though, and there's just some sort of mixup? His is a title match too, so I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, just wondering.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I may be wrong but Heavy Metal strikes me as an average worker. Santo is a great worker and he carried his opponant to a good match. They did the traditional lucha title match format. The matwork was solid and Metal could do the spots, but he had no flair or particular aptitude. More aerial moves later on as business picked up. They had a heel ref who was used well to screw Santo as nobody would buy him losing this straight up. The finish was quite funny and I want to see Santo vs Guerrera now.

• 9 months later...

Metal strikes me as average, too. For whatever that's worth. This is a good match but not a high-end title or mask bout, with a terrific performance from Santo. The highlight here was Metal trying to jump off the top, Santo moving, Metal landing on his feet, then going for the majistral cradle that won the first fall only for Santo to counter. That was a very clever sequence, among a number of good mat-based counters that looked cool while also looking organic. Fuerza makes a nuisance of himself throughout this and plays into the finish, as he breaks up the camel clutch, and when Eddy Guerrero protests, he shoves the referee and draws a cheap DQ. Very clever fuck finish.

• 1 year later...

Long intros and entrances here. Early matwork is solid but nothing particularly outstanding. Its not bad, just not what I wanted from them. Long spot with Metal working a half and then full crab including using the ropes for leverage but Santo doesn't even try to sell it afterwards. First fall really not very good and they seem to switch who's in control without any logic or transition. Quick second fall with Santo winning after an electric chair and cradle. We get a few dives in the 3rd that are really nice before Metal gets what would seem to be a really huge win for him with the camel clutch. Or did he? Was Santo DQ'd for Eddy's involvement?

Enjoyed the quick second fall and the dives in the third, but nothing so fantastic.

**3/4

• 1 month later...

Some wide opinions on this match but I side with Loss. I don't think Heavy Metal is some great worker either but like Azteca getting drug to ***** classics with Dandy, a superb worker can get something great out of him and that was what he had here. The opening work on the mat was extremely well done and the pop for the headscissors climb rewards that as it felt like a huge spot and a big feather in the cap of Santo. The finish of the first and third falls was great as I figured we would get the big Santo comeback that never came thanks to Fuerza doing some good timed interference. A great match and another breath of fresh air for this year overall. ****1/4

• 7 months later...

I agree with Soup. Heavy Metal seemed kind of pedestrian and rough around the edges but Santo was terrific walking him through this match. His head scissors spots were great and I loved the figure four work from both guys. I'm a bit lower on the match overall, but I I think it was a good title match and I enjoyed it a lot more than most of the lucha thus far this year.

• 10 months later...

I actually agree with the finish. If a wrestler like del Santo can't get away with touching the ref (be he tecnico or rudo) then a second like Eddie certainly can't. I liked his expression after the match; he was clearly kicking himself for costing del Santo the title, as he should have been.

The dives in the third fall were great, but I loved all the headscissor variations del Santo used in the first fall and the different moves that came out of them. Who knew that such a basic hold could be so versatile?

Metal was clearly the inferior worker here, but I thought he kept up with del Santo well. This was more of a bristles match than a broomstick match, if you get my drift.

I hope the follow-up mask vs. hair match made the set, as this is a matchup I wouldn't mind seeing again. Metal seems to me to be one of those "limited" workers who's actually quite a good fit with an accaimed technician, like Liger-Honaga or Steamboat-Honky.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-14-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Heavy Metal
  • 5 years later...

I watched this a few months ago and thought it was pretty mid, but that reversal Santo did on the figure four has for some reason stuck with me. After seeing how it's possible to completely reverse the hold by standing upright, the usual way guys work the hold of just screaming while rolling around comes across kind of lame. Also after years of just thinking the concept of reversing the pressure of the hold by flipping over was just some smoke and mirror shit I had to go along with, watching how it's done here makes me realize there's actually a solid principle underlying it. Flipping the hold over, particularly how Santo does it here, gives you the room necessary to bend your legs in a way to put pressure on the calf of the other guy, like a modified calf slicer. Understanding that has also kind of tainted other stuff where I don't see guys bothering to bend their legs much after reversing the hold, including in some otherwise great stuff like Fujinami/Nishimura 06. All this because of a single spot in a match that's not even all that great. Thanks, Santo.