Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Giant Gonzales is the first out as everyone teams up on him. Mabel was taking shots at 1-2-3 Kid. Mabel going after the good guys. Mr. Perfect is ignoring his feud with Diesel. I like the good guys going against the good guys. Mabel gets the boot so the biggest guys out first. Diesel too. Perfect gets launched by Bigelow. Vince yells out the What a Maneuver for a clothesline. MVP lasted longer than expected. Heels try to make an alliance. Heat for when Savage got eliminated. He lasted long enough where he became the fan favorite. The finishing section was great at putting the crowd behind Razor. Pretty good battle royal as was given enough time.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really random guys here--a pre-Abe Schwartz "MVP," Mabel but not Mo, the reigning Tag Champions, Jimmy Snuka (!), and Giant Gonzalez who'd barely been on WWF TV since SummerSlam. Mabel randomly deciding to work this whole match as a vicious heel is kind of fun. Long battle royal, as there's a big gap between the opening elimination of Gonzalez and the next guy to go. Just about everyone takes a big bump for their elimination. Huge heat for this by the end, with Ramon overcoming 3-on-1 odds to get to the finals.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't hope to talk about everything that went on, of course, but here are some things that really stuck out:

Savage getting three (literally) huge eliminations: Gigante, Booger, and Adam Bomb. Are you sure ​you want to put him out to pasture, Vince?

Mabel auditioning for a heel run by going at it with guys like Waltman and Tatanka. It seemed even more like an audition because Mo was nowhere to be found.

Several guys defying all common sense and using the top rope, including Savage at the start. Remember the Royal Rumble, Randy? Why on earth would you make the same mistake twice?

Lombardi (MVP) getting a decent-sized run. I think he even eliminated someone, though I can't remember who at the moment. Patterson's lover or not, he's always looked like he belongs in whatever role Vince decides to put him in, and there are plenty of bigger names that you can't say that about.

Almost all the big men being eliminated in the first half of the match, and Mabel, the biggest man in the whole thing, being eliminated by Nash singlehandedly. Could you tell that Vince had plans for Big Sexy?

Guys like Curt and Jannetty, who seemed like logical favorites going in, also being eliminated fairly early. Vince clearly wanted the belt on new blood, which also doomed the chances of guys like Backlund and Snuka.

The pot already being stirred for the Savage-Crush feud when Heenan says that he was told that Savage went to Jack Tunney and deliberately got Crush excluded from the battle royal. What feud not involving a part-timer gets five months of build in today's WWE?

Hall surviving the three-on-one, and who survived with him. Draw with Tatanka aside, Martel's no threat to Hall; he's another "blast from the past", as Vince put it when talking about Snuka, while Hall represents the "new generation". Even if I hadn't already known who won, I would have bought a lot of other people as Hall's opponent before Martel. My choice? Even though he's not exactly fresh as a spring rain himself, Bam Bam Bigelow.

The exclusion of guys like Luger, Lawler, Taker, and even Bret. I'd have rather seen at least one or two of these four over the likes of Lombardi and Snuka. I can buy Taker being focused on Yoko, so maybe singling him out isn't fair. But how about Lawler, with or without Bret as a foil? If nothing else, he could have beat on Owen for a while. And there's no way in this universe Luger shouldn't have been in there. Kayfabe-wise, the IC belt is still a top contender, if not the ​top contender, for the World title, so what better way to reestablish yourself as a viable challenger for Yoko? No, he'd rather beat up on some guy with a German first name and a Danish last name who thinks he's from Finland.

Heenan came up with some good lines here (my favorite was him describing Gigante as "not your average Slim Jim" after Savage eliminated him), but Vince was in "ignore my color man and yell as loudly as I can" mode for the most part. Oh, and let's not forget "never, under any circumstances, say the name of a wrestling move" mode. "WHATTA MANEUVER!" for a clothesline? Imagine, if you will, Al Michaels calling an NFL game without using words like run, pass or tackle. Or, if you're from Europe, think of a soccer announcer calling a game without saying words like kick, goal, or save. Can't do it, eh? That's how bad Vince has gotten over the years, and I'm sure it'll get a lot worse before Mr. McMahon makes his first appearance.

By the way, at the same time Savage was being shown in the battle royal on ​Raw​, he and Lawler were going at it in real time at the Mid-South Coliseum.

Even though they were shown in separate weeks, the Hall-Martel IC title match took place the same night as the battle royal (9-27 in New Haven, Connecticut), so my main complaint about the battle royal (not having the title match occur on the same night) no longer holds water. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

• 3 months later...

A really good battle royal and I say that as someone that typically dislikes them. This had some fun wrinkles like Mabel and Diesel fighting two years before their SummerSlam match. I also thought Macho and Hennig had a really good sequence in the middle portions of this. It takes four guys to take out Savage and Razor overcomes the odds by eliminating both Quebeccers. Good heat for the pull apart between him and Martel. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1993-10-04-WWF-Raw] Battle Royal