Pro Wrestling Only

1992 Recommendations

Loss

Regarding CMLL, don't forget this one:

2/14/92 CMLL: Huracan Sevilla vs Bestia Salvaje (Hair vs Hair) - Arena Mexico

This is a fantastic match where a lot of people haven't seen.

You might want to take a look at the trios surrounding Dandy vs. Casas as well as they really add to the match. And you need to find some match that shows how great Pierroth was that year. There's a great Sangre Chicana/Pero Aguayo hair match from '92 CMLL as well.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to the CMLL recommendations, I watched the 4/12 show the other night and the Atlantis/La Fiera title match is terrific and I don't recall it ever being talked about. Fell asleep during the Panther/Love Machine mask match, but I'm assuming that'd be in contention already, anyway.

Pirata Morgan/Masakre hair match form 2/28 is awesome as well.

On another board I started reviewing USWA 1992 TV (until I got bored typing everything up)

I went through the WON and listed any USWA TV that looked interesting. If I sent the list of stuff to you, would you be willing to look it over and see if there is anything you would add?

Sure. I have listings for everything in the trusty old paper format but I just never got round to typing everything up.

If you want to pm me what you already have for '92 that's fine and I will take a look over it. Was digging through my notes over the weekend and there is plenty of stuff that has been forgotten that is worth adding or certainly taking a second look at.

Loss, do you anticipate a lot of Shawn on this set? Offhand, I'm thinking of the barbershop angle that ended the Rockers, the first ladder match with Bret, the IC Title win over Davey Boy, Survivor Series with Bret, and Marty's return at the end of the year where Sherri got clocked with the mirror.

All of those Shawn things and probably some other week-to-week promos, the tag with Flair against Bret and Savage, a few handhelds, the Piper match from the pre-WM8 special and so on.

I definitely recommend the Shawn Michaels promo from the royal Rumble itself, this was the moment that really sold me on the Shawn Michaels character.

I haven't seen it in years, so I dunno if the whole match is any good, but I'll also add the Bret/Martel IC Title match from PTW. Or at least just the finish with Bret in the crab and Shawn attacking him to get Martel dq'd, which led to their ridiculous Summerslam match.

• 1 month later...

- I know you probably have PPV events covered, but New Foundation vs The Orient Express from the Rumble needs to be on there. For the second year in a row, Orient Express have a killer opening match

- Savage vs Michaels 04/14 from the World Tour 92 Coliseum Video and 04/19 from the Savage WWE DVD are both really good (don't know if you would need both, 04/19 has Elizabeth's last WWF appearance so maybe more historically significant?)

- Big Bossman vs Dave Roulette from Superstars 05/30 (Debut of Nailz, attacks Bossman in a memorable angle)

- Michaels vs Hart 06/02 from Rampage 92 is a really fun match, I would say their best pre-Survivor Series 92

I think we've got the right balance at this moment in time, but if anything changes, I'll let you know.

As always, it's going to be a tight fit. Every major wrestling promotion in the world was having an excellent year. There was less essential U.S. in 1993, where WCW in 1992 could conceivably be 30 discs on its own.

That said, I think all the must-have stuff -- and some nice-to-have stuff -- will still make the set.

I'm also happy with the All Japan and New Japan we have listed.

Mexico had way more singles matches than usual that looked good on paper, to a point where I'm curious if there are some we can cut.

All Japan:

1-26-92 Tsuruta & Taue vs. Kobashi & Kikuchi

4-18-92 Team Tsuruta vs. Team Misawa (Survivor Tag)

5-22-92 Tsuruta/Taue/Fuchi vs. Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi - Classic.

5-25-92 Can-Am Express vs. Kobashi & Kikuchi - Another classic. This is the match that has the debate of, "It's good because of the crowd noise," right?

6-5-92 Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen - One of the fist puro matches I ever saw.

7-5-92 Kobashi & Kikuchi vs. Fuchi & Ogawa

8-22-92 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Stan Hansen

10-21-92 Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

New Japan:

4-30-92 Jushin Liger vs. El Samurai (TOSJ Finals)

5-17-92 Jushin Liger vs. El Samurai

6-26-92 Kensuke Sasaki vs. Hiroshi Hase

7-31-92 Hashimoto & Hase vs. Sasaki & Fujinami - One of my favorite tag matches from NJ. Falls way behind the Nov '90 match, but all NJ matches afterward do.

8-12-92 Masahiro Chono vs. Rick Rude (G-1 Climax Finals) - This is a match where I am definitely in the minority. It never hit me as it has hit others.

There are some other Liger/Samurai matches (4-16 and 10-21) but I can't remember if they are simply good or good/great.

Lucha:

4-3-92 Blue Panther vs. Love Machine AAA (Mask vs. Mask)

7-5-92 El Dandy vs. Negro Casas - I only have four lucha matches from 1992, this is one of them. I know this will be on the set, so that is not an issue. The thing is, I don't get this match. I've tried watching it twice; first time it put me to sleep (literally), and the second time House was about to start. Could someone link to a review or add your own thoughts on why this match is so great?

WWF:

4-5-92 Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (WWF Intercontinental) - One of my favorite matches from either man. Loved the intensity here, and the subtly of regret from Piper.

4-5-92 Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair (WWF World Heavyweight) - Eh. Savage's selling was awesome, but aside from that, not much to talk about from me.

8-29-92 Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (WWF Intercontinental) - Polarizing match. I am on the side that likes the match.

11-25-92 Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WWF World Heavyweight) - I used to love this match. Not so much anymore.

WCW:

2-29-92 Jushin Liger vs. Brian Pillman

5-17-92 Sting & Nikita Koloff & Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat & Barry Windham vs. Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton & Steve Austin & Larry Zbyszko & Rick Rude (War Games)

6-20-92 Cactus Jack vs. Sting (Falls Count Anywhere) - Haven't seen this in a while, but from memory, it was an enjoyable match. I recently watched their November '91 "hardcore" match and was unimpressed. So maybe this match isn't as good as I remembered...

6-20-92 Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat (30:00 Iron Man)

7-12-92 Sting vs. Vader (WCW World Heavyweight)

9-2-92 Sting, Nikita Koloff & The Steiner Brothers vs. Vader, Super Invader, Jake Roberts & Rick Rude (Elimination Match) - Saw this on a Schneider comp I think. Nonetheless, thought it was fun.

12-28-92 Barry Windham & Brian Pillman vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (WCW Unified World Tag Team)

Other American:

7-25-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Fantastics SMW

8-8-92 Fantastics vs. Heavenly Bodies (Barbed Wire Cage) SMW

11-14-92 Terry Funk vs. Eddie Gilbert WWA - IIRC, there are two matches from two different promotions these two had on this day. I think this is the better of the two. Not sure though.

Joshi:

3-17-92 Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada vs. Yumiko Hotta & Suzuka Minami AJW

4-20-92 Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada vs. Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue AJW (2 out of 3 falls)

4-25-92 Manami Toyota vs. Kyoko Inoue AJW

8-15-92 Manami Toyota vs. Toshiyo Yamada AJW (Hair versus Hair)

11-26-92 Manami Toyota vs. Toshiyo Yamada (2 out of 3 falls)

I found these on that website (cagematch.de) I mentioned in some other thread:

11-13-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Hospital Elimination) SMW

11-14-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Hospital Elimination) SMW

11-26-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Falls Count Anywhere) SMW

11-27-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Texas Death) SMW

11-28-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Street Fight) SMW

11-29-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Cage) SMW

Question is, do they exist on tape somewhere? I'm sure at least one of them does.

Oh, and maybe Steiners vs Arn/Eaton from Superbrawl doesn't make it to the final list, simply because we can't include the entire commercial release of SuperBrawl II, as much as I'd love to, since that is my favorite PPV ever and all.

Seriously, what can be cut from the commercial version of that show?

Liger/Pillman? No. Windham/Rhodes vs Austin/Zbyszko? Not a chance. Rude vs Steamboat? No way. Sting vs Luger? The match blew, but the finish has to go on, so that's likely to get chopped down.

I like the match, but it's a victim of being part of a loaded show, on a comp that is supposed to be highlights, so the instinct is to take off what we can and spotlight something different.

All Japan:

1-26-92 Tsuruta & Taue vs. Kobashi & Kikuchi

4-18-92 Team Tsuruta vs. Team Misawa (Survivor Tag)

5-22-92 Tsuruta/Taue/Fuchi vs. Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi - Classic.

5-25-92 Can-Am Express vs. Kobashi & Kikuchi - Another classic. This is the match that has the debate of, "It's good because of the crowd noise," right?

6-5-92 Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen - One of the fist puro matches I ever saw.

7-5-92 Kobashi & Kikuchi vs. Fuchi & Ogawa

8-22-92 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Stan Hansen

10-21-92 Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

New Japan:

4-30-92 Jushin Liger vs. El Samurai (TOSJ Finals)

5-17-92 Jushin Liger vs. El Samurai

6-26-92 Kensuke Sasaki vs. Hiroshi Hase

7-31-92 Hashimoto & Hase vs. Sasaki & Fujinami - One of my favorite tag matches from NJ. Falls way behind the Nov '90 match, but all NJ matches afterward do.

8-12-92 Masahiro Chono vs. Rick Rude (G-1 Climax Finals) - This is a match where I am definitely in the minority. It never hit me as it has hit others.

There are some other Liger/Samurai matches (4-16 and 10-21) but I can't remember if they are simply good or good/great.

Lucha:

4-3-92 Blue Panther vs. Love Machine AAA (Mask vs. Mask)

7-5-92 El Dandy vs. Negro Casas - I only have four lucha matches from 1992, this is one of them. I know this will be on the set, so that is not an issue. The thing is, I don't get this match. I've tried watching it twice; first time it put me to sleep (literally), and the second time House was about to start. Could someone link to a review or add your own thoughts on why this match is so great?

WWF:

4-5-92 Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (WWF Intercontinental) - One of my favorite matches from either man. Loved the intensity here, and the subtly of regret from Piper.

4-5-92 Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair (WWF World Heavyweight) - Eh. Savage's selling was awesome, but aside from that, not much to talk about from me.

8-29-92 Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (WWF Intercontinental) - Polarizing match. I am on the side that likes the match.

11-25-92 Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WWF World Heavyweight) - I used to love this match. Not so much anymore.

WCW:

2-29-92 Jushin Liger vs. Brian Pillman

5-17-92 Sting & Nikita Koloff & Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat & Barry Windham vs. Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton & Steve Austin & Larry Zbyszko & Rick Rude (War Games)

6-20-92 Cactus Jack vs. Sting (Falls Count Anywhere) - Haven't seen this in a while, but from memory, it was an enjoyable match. I recently watched their November '91 "hardcore" match and was unimpressed. So maybe this match isn't as good as I remembered...

6-20-92 Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat (30:00 Iron Man)

7-12-92 Sting vs. Vader (WCW World Heavyweight)

9-2-92 Sting, Nikita Koloff & The Steiner Brothers vs. Vader, Super Invader, Jake Roberts & Rick Rude (Elimination Match) - Saw this on a Schneider comp I think. Nonetheless, thought it was fun.

12-28-92 Barry Windham & Brian Pillman vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (WCW Unified World Tag Team)

Other American:

7-25-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Fantastics SMW

8-8-92 Fantastics vs. Heavenly Bodies (Barbed Wire Cage) SMW

11-14-92 Terry Funk vs. Eddie Gilbert WWA - IIRC, there are two matches from two different promotions these two had on this day. I think this is the better of the two. Not sure though.

Joshi:

3-17-92 Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada vs. Yumiko Hotta & Suzuka Minami AJW

4-20-92 Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada vs. Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue AJW (2 out of 3 falls)

4-25-92 Manami Toyota vs. Kyoko Inoue AJW

8-15-92 Manami Toyota vs. Toshiyo Yamada AJW (Hair versus Hair)

11-26-92 Manami Toyota vs. Toshiyo Yamada (2 out of 3 falls)

Every single thing listed here is going on.

I found these on that website (cagematch.de) I mentioned in some other thread:

11-13-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Hospital Elimination) SMW

11-14-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Hospital Elimination) SMW

11-26-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Falls Count Anywhere) SMW

11-27-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Texas Death) SMW

11-28-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Street Fight) SMW

11-29-92 Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock & Roll Express (Cage) SMW

Question is, do they exist on tape somewhere? I'm sure at least one of them does.

The gimmick matches aired in clipped form as part of an extended recap of all the title changes (Every one of those matches was a title change). That will go on, but not the matches in full. Don't know if the first two Bodies/Rock & Roll matches are out there, but there will be a handheld match featuring those two teams on the set, just not from those dates.

Guest kowking

Here's what Tim Cooke has said:

I got this in from Lynch yesterday. Only watched the first fall as I was dead tired. But what a first fall. 14:00 minutes, almost all mat work. They do some mat work I have never seen before and do about 2-3 counters/reversals on the mat that are absolutely beautiful and seamless and I have never seen before.

Really that's about it -- jaw-dropping first fall. The rest is very good, too, but the matwork is what stands out to me in that first.

Can somebody please pitch in?