Pro Wrestling Only

1992 Recommendations

Loss

I'm going to start threads for a few years at the same time, even if this isn't the order in which the sets are released.

Use this thread to post recommendations for the yearbook.

I don't want to put requirements on making recommendations necessarily, but I will kindly ask a favor -- if you recommend something, if you could, maybe just include a brief reason that you're recommending it. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but just something for us to see why it should go on.

If you make recommendations that pique my curiosity, I will do my part to ask more follow-up questions to make sure I have a good understanding of why it was recommended.

In addition, I will use this thread to list matches I come across when looking through various lists that look interesting on paper to ask if anyone has seen them.

Thanks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I went a bit bonkers for Disc #5 of the Dustin set. So, I'd recommend:

Dustin Rhodes, Nikita Koloff & Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zbyszko, Bobby Eaton & Arn Anderson (2/3 Falls WCWSN 5/23/92)

My thoughts:

...the six-man tag from 5/23/92 is amazing. It's not listed, but that match is 2/3 Falls and is in the upper tier of the plethora of outstanding TV matches that the Dangerous Alliance run provided. Steamboat's babyface work in that match is just extraordinary. Sure, mentioning Ricky's outstanding babyface work is hardly anything new, but this is one of those little seen matches where I was just in awe of his work. Not that i take his work for granted, but this match was just a hell of a reminder of just how good he was(is).

Dustin Rhodes vs. Bobby Eaton (Power Hour 5/8/92)

Thoughts:

The mini Eaton-Dustin feud covered over Discs 4-5 was extremely enjoyable highlighted by the two singles bouts here. One of which sees Eaton bust Dustin's nose right at the start leading to Dustin getting all fired up and taking the bout to the floor where he hip tosses Eaton up the isle the dropkicks him.

Great stuff and under 10 minutes.

Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett brawl with the Moondogs from a USWA spot show in Kennet, MO, aired on 01.18.92 TV.

On another board I started reviewing USWA 1992 TV (until I got bored typing everything up) and here is what I wrote for this.

18th January 1992

Dave Brown is back with Cory Maclin on commentary this week, and immediately we are shown footage of a spot show from Kennet, MO last night. It is another in the continuation of Fuller & Jarrett vs Moondogs brawls, but this feud has been the best thing on the show for the past couple of weeks. Lawler comes out to help the Fuller and Jarrett team, and Fuller just disappears to the back. This is an awesome, wild brawl in the same vain as the original concession stand brawl between Latham & Ferris and Lawler & Dundee, seriously you need to try and catch this if you can. They show a good 10 minutes of footage and it is tremendous stuff.

(fortunately our good friends at youtube have put this online http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYpqc7qRq5c)

Robert Fuller comes out and says Richard Lee hit him in the back of the head at Kennet which resulted in him leaving the brawl early. He says he is now going to take Richard Lee out, and he better watch his back as he is coming for him.

There are also the weekly squashes from the Moondogs who just brutalise their jobber opponents.

A list of the early parts of the WAR/Tenryu vs New Japan feud was given to Will a while back for the Tenryu comp... think it probably came up again recently.

One thing that might be borderline cut-level is the Jumbo-Misawa draw from Carny. Not as good as their two in 1990 or their one Triple Crown match that happened in 1991. But it is the last singles match between the two, the last of the four after the mask came off. Sorta needs to be on there. The 1992 Carny TV, the last time I watched chunks of it (with Jewett half a decade ago), wasn't off the charts stuff.

John

All Japan

Jumbo & Taue vs Kobashi & Kikuchi, 1/26: One of the better 'Kikuchi in peril' matches. He was as good as anyone in the underdog role. Kobashi/Kikuchi really shouldn't be competitive, but they keep surviving and surviving...

Hansen vs Kawada, Champions Carnival: Stiff, chippy, smart, well-paced, there's a lot to love about it. Their 1993 match is better known but this is on par with it.

Misawa, Kobashi & Kikuchi vs Taue, Fuchi & Ogawa, 7/21: Quite memorable thanks to a legit injury about halfway through, but also thanks to lots of intensity from all parties involved.

Misawa, Kawada & Kikuchi vs Jumbo, Taue & Ogawa, 8/20: The last stand-out 6-man of the Jumbo vs Misawa feud. Jumbo returns from his "leg injury" and tears it up in the second half.

Hansen vs Misawa, 8/22: Lots of smart work, much of it based on Misawa's shoulder injury from the month before. Also worth watching is the closing minutes of Misawa vs Gordy from '91 in terms of seeing how Misawa goes about bringing down a bigger opponent.

Kobashi vs Akiyama, 9/17. Just a heck of a debut for Akiyama.

Misawa & Kawada vs Taue & Akiyama, RWTL. Akiyama continues to look good in his first big main event. Not jaw-droppingly great, but very good and IMO important enough to get in.

New Japan

Hase vs Sasaki, 6/26: I really like the intensity and the story they tell, as Sasaki tries to prove his worth against higher-ranked partner Hase.

Hashimoto & Hase vs Fujinami & Sasaki, 7/31: My pick for the best Hashimoto match of '92, and it also continues the Hase/Sasaki rivalry.

Chono vs Koshinaka, 7/31: These two feuded for so long and almost nobody talks about it! Plenty of heat and hatred, and I think this is much more watchable than the downtime-heavy G-1 final.

Tenryu, T. Ishikawa & Kitahara vs Koshinaka, Kimura & Aoyagi, 11/23: Yessir, NJ vs WAR was in full swing at this point. Unheralded wrestlers like Ishikawa, Kitahara and Aoyagi really shined in this feud, wrestling a simple, hard-hitting style that fits perfectly with the raucous crowds.

Liger & Kanemoto vs Ultimo Dragon & Orihara, 12/11: New Japan versus WAR! Lil' Kanemoto and Baby Orihara show spunk, Liger and Ultimo do their thang, and the crowd is way into it.

Tenryu vs Koshinaka, 12/14: Bloooooood, but in a different way. Koshinaka really shined in the NJ vs WAR feud, and this match features hardway juice and a bucketful of stiffness.

UWFi

Anjoh vs Tamura, 8/28. Long shoot-style matches rarely hold my interest, but these two are so good and so creative that it works. I suppose the length probably works against it getting on...

Yamazaki vs Tamura, 10/23: Yamazaki dominates in stand-up, while Tamura is deadly on the mat. More compact than the Anjoh match, so this is my pick for the easiest UWFi match to justify for '92.

WCW

Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham vs Steve Austin & Larry Zbyszko, Superbrawl: Austin and Larry Z. are great in controlling the middle, while Dustin and Barry one of the great babyface teams in US history.

Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham vs Terry Gordy & Steve Williams, Saturday Night 10/3: Gotta love JR on commentary in this slobberknocker.

Matches I already assume will be on there:

Royal Rumble

Bret vs Piper

Liger vs Samurai, BOSJ final

Jumbo, Taue & Fuchi vs Misawa, Kawada & Kobashi, 5/22

Can-Am Express vs Kobashi & Kikuchi, 5/25

Jumbo & Taue vs Misawa & Kobashi, 6/5

Sting vs Vader, GAB

Toyota vs Yamada, Hair vs Hair

Misawa vs Kawada

Toyota & Yamada vs Kansai & Ozaki

Muta vs Hase

Silver Kings (Los Cowboys) vs. Freebirds from Clash of Champions XIX. A really fun match with the Luchadores having the cojones to bring all kinds of cool offense, despite only being there to put over the Freebirds. Pillman/Lyger vs. Benoit/Wellington from the same show as well, featuring the possible US debut of an Asai Moonsault.

Savage vs. Roberts from the Feb SNME, mostly for the angle at the end where UT saves Savage and Liz. Plus, the Jake/UT funeral parlor angle.

If you want to show how campy WWF was at times, then the Warrior/Papa Shango stuff is right there. Also, at least a couple of the Nailz vignettes and the angle where he attacks Bossman.

LOD/Money Inc from Summerslam, as the last hurrah of the Road Warriors for nearly four years.

The PTW angle where Perfect agrees to team with Savage and pours a pitcher of water on Heenan's head.

Greg Valentine vs. Marcus Alexander Bagwell from Beach Blast. A shining example of the Bill Watts mentality.

The Paul Orndorff heel turn in SMW, where he snaps and starts dishing out piledrivers (illegal in SMW) like there's no tomorrow.

More '2nd tier' All Japan worth considering (ie. maybe some of them will strike you or Will as worth putting on)

Jumbo vs Kawada, 1/21: A notch below their '91 match, but I think it's the best Jumbo singles match of his last relevant year so that should mean something.

Jumbo, Taue & Fuchi vs Misawa, Kawada & Kobashi, 1/24: This pairing can't go wrong. That said it's not at the elite level of the other three iterations that got taped.

Kawada vs Kobashi, CC: Similar to the 6/30/90 match in that they get really chippy for tag partners.

Kawada vs Taue, CC: Taue rudos it up like mad and is quite the magnificent bastard.

Jumbo vs Fuchi, CC: More "fun" than "great". It's these two doing their thing, it couldn't NOT be good.

Jumbo, Taue & Ogawa vs Gordy, Williams & Slinger, 5/25: Ogawa and Slinger are good at eatin' a beatin', and you get a rare 'big name drops the fall' finish, and the crowd is hot (albeit not at the same level as the All Asia tag).

Jumbo & Taue vs Gordy & Williams, 8/22: Jumbo sells a fake leg injury better than pretty much anyone you'll find. The guy was on the last run of his career but he could still bring it at a world-class level.

Kobashi & Kikuchi vs Can-Am Express, 10/7: It's heavily JIP but that might help it. The rematch of the 5/25 classic is clipped down to the hot finish so it's not like you're necessarily having to leave something out for its sake.

Kawada & Kobashi vs Hansen & Ace, 10/11: Way more intense than you'd expect, and my pick for the best Johnny Ace match before he started teaming with Doc.

Misawa & Kawada vs Baba & Kobashi, RWTL: A big-match feel and a good first taste of "Baba tries to hang with the young guys" that would become a staple over the next two years.

Should feature Hansen's last singles title run, since the 1995 was just one-and-out.

01/28/92 Hansen over Jumbo for TC

Title change. Last Jumbo-Hansen as mentioned above. Jumbo's last singles title match. There are tons of Hansen-Jumbo matches through the years, but those three reasons are enough to have it make the cut from a historical stadpoint even if it's so-so. A bit like the 1990 Jumbo-Tenryu closing the book.

03/04/92 Hansen-Misawa

Half of a Budokan double main (with Jumbo & Taue winning the tag titles from Gordy & Doc). So-so rated by Meltzer... I can't even remember it. I do think one of the two Misawa-Hansen matches *prior* to the title change should make it to get across the theme of Hansen having his number. The Carny Final was better in my recollection, so that might serve the purporse more.

06/05/92 Hansen-Kawada

Mentioned earlier. Really needs to be on there.

07/31/92 Hansen-Taue

Taue's first challenge for the TC. A bit better than folks expected at the time. Creates a good Kawada-Taue-Misawa comp as all had Hansen as a common opponent in TC matches in the 6/92 to 8/92. Overall, there's likely to be a lack of Taue singles matches making the 1990-95 sets relative to the other Four Corners members, so folks are going to end up judging him by the tags. Really need to look for examples to include. It's not that long of a match, under 15 minutes.

Of course the title change with Misawa makes it, and the 10/92 Misawa-Kawada.

John

Kawada vs Taue, CC: Taue rudos it up like mad and is quite the magnificent bastard.

This reminds me that there was the equiv of a mini-tourny late in the year between Misawa, Kawada and Taue. Kawada had another good match with Taue, Misawa had a non-title singles match with Taue that was solid enough (better than their match earlier in the year), and of course Misawa-Kawada on the anniversary show. Depending on space, those might be another two Taue matches to consider.

Kawada had a singles match with Spivey on the same Budokan as the Misawa-Hansen title change that was quite watchable back in the day. Over the course of Yearbooks, it would be a good comp for the Spivey-Luger (Wrestlewar 1991) and Spivey-Sting (6/89 AJPW Budokan). For Kawada, it's a match outside the usual collection of gaijin.

John

Jumbo's last title run:

03/04/92 Jumbo & Taue over Gordy & Doc

Title change. Budokan double main. Jumbo's last title win. I don't remember it being all that good. There are two other matches between these teams later in the year that I thought at the time were better. Historical value, but... hmmm... wouldn't oversell it without watching it again.

06/05/92 Jumbo & Taue vs Misawa & Kobashi

I talked about it a bit before. Would add that it was the last major Jumbo-Misawa match. My recollection of the last time that I re-watched it was that it didn't blow me away to the degree that I remembered it. Suspect it will be on, and would advocate including it even if it doesn't quite blow away Will and Loss.

08/22/92 Jumbo & Taue vs Gordy & Doc

This was a non-title "double-double champions" bouts: Jumbo & Taue having the AJPW belts, while Gordy & Doc had the WCW & NWA belts. Good match.

Note: in addition to the TC title change, this match and the Kawada-Spivey mentioned, there also was a pretty nifty Kobashi & Kikuchi vs Fantastics match on that Budokan. Don't remember if it was full on TV or JIP, but it would be a nice little match to include.

10/07/92 Jumbo & Taue vs Gordy & Doc

Jumbo's last title match. Another good one. While rematch of something that happened less then two months later, I'd suggest that it's useful to see Jumbo's last big title match. The set will rapidly transition into the post-Jumbo world, with a hint of things to come in the Misawa-Kawada, and then the tag league without him.

Note: There was one last Jumbo & Co. vs Misawa & Co. match that aired: 11/01/92 TV with Jumbo & Taue & Ogawa vs. Misawa & Kobashi & Kikuchi. Not their best-best-best match, and with Ogawa/Kikuchi rather than Kawada/Fuchi not quite their most classical combo. Still reasonably good if I recall, and makes an effective closing of the book on the era. They had a better Korakuen Hall match back in August if I recall, and that might stand as a good final example of Kawada as part of the trio opposite Jumbo.

There also was a Kawada-Ace on that same 11/01/92 show that is an interesting change of pace, and early Johnny against one of the Four Corners.

Again, all depends on space.

There's a bunch of...interesting Global. At first, it's a fun promotion with Eddie Gilbert trying his damnedest as booker and top star and a decent enough roster. It turns into the place with Maniac Mike Davis and his moon rock, Vito Mussolini the mobbed up commissioner, THE WORLD"S FIRST BUNGEE JUMP MATCH 175 FEET IN THE AIR, Dave Webb thinking he's Elvis, Rude Dog losing by countout when he chased a cat up the aisle, Sebastian the Jamison ripoff (THEY RIPPED OFF FUCKING JAMISON OF ALL OF THE FUCKING WWF GIMMICKS), random local Dallas actors everywhere, Manny Villalobos proudly displaying his HUD home, etc.

Kobashi/Kikuchi vs Fans 8/22 was JIP. Was released in full online by NTV but in crappy vid quality.

JIP is fine. Nice change of pace, and a good example of how what was once an interesting little division (All Asian Tag) got ignored late in the decade. 1991 as well has some decent AA tags.

John

There's a bunch of...interesting Global. At first, it's a fun promotion with Eddie Gilbert trying his damnedest as booker and top star and a decent enough roster. It turns into the place with Maniac Mike Davis and his moon rock, Vito Mussolini the mobbed up commissioner, THE WORLD"S FIRST BUNGEE JUMP MATCH 175 FEET IN THE AIR, Dave Webb thinking he's Elvis, Rude Dog losing by countout when he chased a cat up the aisle, Sebastian the Jamison ripoff (THEY RIPPED OFF FUCKING JAMISON OF ALL OF THE FUCKING WWF GIMMICKS), random local Dallas actors everywhere, Manny Villalobos proudly displaying his HUD home, etc.

Speaking of Global, the USWA vs Fake GWF feud should be represented on the set. Basically Eddie left the real Global and brought the belt and several guys with him. You had Mike Samples doing his best Vince impersonation as the figure head of GWF with Bert Prentice and heel Guy Coffey feuding with Eddie Marlin, Jerry Lawler and Jeff Jarrett. It also featured Number 1 contender for the USWA Championship from Global: Marty Janetty despite the fact he never wrestled in GWF

Some other stuff from USWA.

Brian Christopher's heel turn along with his music video reviewed in the Memphis Studio by Pauly Shore himself. Probably the greatest angle ever took place in December with Brian hiring/firing Mike Samples, Bert Prentice and Zeke Rivers in about a span of 5 minutes cause they won't put up their hair vs Jeff Jarrett.

Eric Embry's women hating angle. I don't know if you would want to include this because it might be too much but I'll mention it anyways. Embry was feuding with Dirty White boy so after a squash match, he handcuffs DWB and then strips and whips the Dirty White girl. He also did the same thing with Miss Texas a couple months later which featured maybe the first topless woman in Memphis wrestling history.

Jimmy Hart's one time only return to the USWA in 92 to manage The Howard Hughes connection( Mr. Hughes and Jeff Gaylord) He cut a great 10 + minute promo just burying Memphis and Jerry Lawler in particular. This started the whole WWF invasion with guys like Sgt. Slaughter, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and the Bushwackers coming in to team with the babyfaces. Bushwackers vs Moondogs has to be seen.

Dennis Corralluzzo's short run vs Jerry Lawler. He represents Andy Kaufman's estate, Kamala and Jerry's "illegitimate Kids" that turns out to be Fred the Elephant boy from the Stern show.

Eric Embry's babyface turn with the Battery Acid thrown in his eyes vs The Moondogs.

USWA had a great Eddie Gilbert vs Ricky Morton match from July 11th 92 that might be a MOTYC.

Then you had the wrestlecrap like: Embry's Valet CJ(that wound up suing USWA for Sexual Harassment), The Fat Boys, Dr. Death and Nurse Kratchett, Lauren Davenport's 2 Men of the 90's(Tony Falk and some other guy), The Star Riders, The Dream Warriors( They are like Metal Ed where they had a interview taped but never showed up cause they bombed), Psycho, Corey Maclin getting beat up by a girl, The American Eagles, WCW's Patriots as heels managed by Bert Prentice, Brian Christopher vs Danny Davis: Loser has eggs thrown at them match, The King Killer, The Tazmaniac(Yes that Taz), Fabulous Fargos Jr, The Hornet( Takeoff of Sting) and much more.

Dennis Corralluzzo's short run vs Jerry Lawler. He represents Andy Kaufman's estate, Kamala and Jerry's "illegitimate Kids" that turns out to be Fred the Elephant boy from the Stern show.

There is one interview (from Feb 1st) where Coraluzzo says that Kamala 'is going to beat the black off Koko B. Ware'.

Then you had the wrestlecrap like: Embry's Valet CJ(that wound up suing USWA for Sexual Harassment), The Fat Boys, Dr. Death and Nurse Kratchett, Lauren Davenport's 2 Men of the 90's(Tony Falk and some other guy), The Star Riders, The Dream Warriors( They are like Metal Ed where they had a interview taped but never showed up cause they bombed), Psycho, Corey Maclin getting beat up by a girl, The American Eagles, WCW's Patriots as heels managed by Bert Prentice, Brian Christopher vs Danny Davis: Loser has eggs thrown at them match, The King Killer, The Tazmaniac(Yes that Taz), Fabulous Fargos Jr, The Hornet( Takeoff of Sting) and much more.

C.J. was ungodly awful, and she disappears without mention from TV. As stated it transpired that she quit the company complaining of sexual harassment by Embry. The Fat Boyz tag team were one and done and the Star Riders were even worse than them. The Sandman is around at the start of the year, and 1992 was also the year that we were treated to 'the Christmas Creature'.

If anyone cares, here is the link to the reviews of the first four months of TV that I started http://ccgi.simania.plus.com/forums/index....c=3740&st=0

In the sense of the absurdly tough, yet past his prime, Valentine going over the pretty boy Bagwell.

Just watches a match from the same period with Valentine, Slater and the Barbarian going over Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham and Ricky Steamboat, which kind of falls in with the same philosophy.

Side note : the commentary on a match from this period reminded me, around the same time they were pitching Eaton and Anderson going against Williams and Gordy for the belts, which is why Eaton and Anderson brought in Michael Hayes as advisor. Does anyone know if this ever happened, even in house shows? I am pretty sure that the MVC dropped the belts not long after.

There is so much great stuff on the Dustin set from 1992 that I'm hesitant to suggest more but the third match in the series between Dustin and Cactus Jack was really good. The first two matches did not have a finish and it lead to this being a falls-count-anywhere match. They brought a lot of intensity to this and both guys were really on for it.

Rick Rude vs Rick Steamboat in the Iron Match at Beach Blast is pretty much must-see in my opinion. The end section when Steamboat was catching up and then overtook Rude on falls was really heated with Rude working his ass off to get the idea of the face over.

I've always been a fan of the Brian Pillman vs Scotty Flamingo match and the Sting vs Cactus Jack falls-count-anywhere match which are also from that show. Foley wrote in his book that this match with Sting was his favorite match for years, I think until his ppv match with Michaels in 1996. And regarding Pillman-Flamingo, it was just a fun title change that really put over Pullamn missing a bodypress onto the ramp and banging his head as the turning point of the match.

There are obvious suggestions from 1992 like Liger-Pillman from Superbrawl, Bret-Davey Boy from Summerslam and Flair's Royal Rumble win. Liger-Pillman was possibly the best U.S. match that year, at least mainstream, and Bret-Davey was both good and important. The Rumble was a classic Flair performance but might take up a lot of room on the set if it was included.

I liked the Pillman-Zenk PPV match. Probably have written several times over the years that it's pretty comperable to Bret-Piper, just without the juice, the bigger show, and the bigger stars. That's why one is more famous, but I think they're both examples of smartly worked matches that are really solid.

John

On another board I started reviewing USWA 1992 TV (until I got bored typing everything up)

I went through the WON and listed any USWA TV that looked interesting. If I sent the list of stuff to you, would you be willing to look it over and see if there is anything you would add?

The Rumble was a classic Flair performance but might take up a lot of room on the set if it was included.

The '92 Rumble is too historic to join in progress. We will definitely include the full match. Most Rumbles I think you could probably start around the time the winner enters and catch everything you'd need to catch. Since Flair comes in so early, might as well include the full match. JIP would lose fun stuff like the Piper moment and everyone coming in the ring going right after him and such. I think even Finkel's awesome reading of the rules should go on, and DEFINITELY the post-match promo, which is terrific.

I liked the Pillman-Zenk PPV match. Probably have written several times over the years that it's pretty comperable to Bret-Piper, just without the juice, the bigger show, and the bigger stars. That's why one is more famous, but I think they're both examples of smartly worked matches that are really solid.

John

Very good match, but wow do I HATE the announcing. Jim Ross talks way too much about football and Jesse Ventura picks little things from his points and just focuses on them at the expense of the match. Ross and Ventura really didn't work well together at all.

Regarding Joshi, outside of the well known matches I think these are easy to overlook:

11/02/92 - Malenko & Hasegawa vs. Toyota & Yamada (TLTB)

12/13/92 - Kong & K. Inoue vs. Toyota & Yamada (TLTB Final)

TLTB matches -- big yearly tag tournament, which along with the JGP singles tournament was an important event for AJW. The first match isn't essential but it was a good league match that Coey discovered when he went back through all this stuff. The final was his baby as no-one had ever pimped it before and it was his discovery.

04/29/92 - T. Inoue vs. Yoshida (All Japan Singles)

07/05/92 - K. Inoue vs. Yoshida (JGP Blue)

08/30/92 - Yoshida vs. Toyota

These are only three star matches or what have you, but later on Yoshida will be featured in the '99 yearbook and I think it gives some kind of context as to what was happening further down the card. Joshi is a bit unique in the sense that its fans often watched the entire cards instead of the pimped main events and thus people tend to be fans of the midcarders.

JWP wasn't very good in 1992. There was an interpromotional tag that used to be pimped, but I don't think it's very good. I like some of the Ozaki/Kansai singles matches but I can't see anyone else digging them too much. Jerome wrote a really great rundown of 1992 Joshi once including some of the better JWP matches that year.