Pro Wrestling Only

1997 Recommendations

Loss

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone, I forget who, gave me a DVD rip of Kawada/Taue vs Hayabusa/Shinzaki, complete; it's on my website now. So it's out there.

Ditch: what's the logo on it? Sammy? The one used on NTV Select?

Funny coincidence, I was just watching this last night

I don't recognize the logo myself but here you go

Posted Image

Someone, I forget who, gave me a DVD rip of Kawada/Taue vs Hayabusa/Shinzaki, complete; it's on my website now. So it's out there.

Ditch: what's the logo on it? Sammy? The one used on NTV Select?

Funny coincidence, I was just watching this last night

I don't recognize the logo myself but here you go

Posted Image

That logo is from NTV's satellite channel.

Hmm. Looks like I may have missed an NTV show somewhere along the way if Loss got it before I released the AJ 97 set.

What did I label the disc as Loss? It might help me find it.

Dan Ginnetty

Ok now I'm really confused about what we should be using as the source for each All Japan match. What I will do soon is just list every AJ match currently planned for the set and then ask for guidance on which source should be used.

I know New Japan had presence on Samurai TV (and I think DirecTV) as well. Classics stops at '96. Are we going to run into the same clipping issues with New Japan TV in '97, where the matches are complete elsewhere?

And John, I'm just going by how the discs are labeled and the matches that are there.

Here is the short form answer:

In December 96, NTV's satellite channel started airing a 60 min AJ show. This show would run, AFAIK, til 6/25/00, when everyone jumped.

Anything you see on Lynch's list described as AJ on Samuari TV from 1996 or 1997 is really NTV satellite stuff.

On 1/10/98, Samurai TV started their own AJ show. The intro is different, and the show is 1:25 in length, not 1 hour.

the 1/10/98 show aired footage from late 97, so there was some crossover there.

I am working right now, but when I get on break, I can throw a document at you folks that has all the NT and AJ Sam shows, with their taping dates.

New Japans Direct TV coverage started in mid 98, with a number of PPVs. Samurai TV started airing NJ footage in November of 98 (the 8/31/98 taping)

The NJCs did a fantastic job covering footage from 95 and 96, with 80 1 hour episodes for each year!

NJCs only covered up to the 1/29/97 show before the run ended.

That is the "gap" you will encounter for NJ in 97. from 1/29/97 to 8/31, when Samurai picked them up.

There are a number of comm videos released for that timeframe in 97, so it won't be a TOTAL blackout.

Dan Ginnetty

That logo is from NTV's satellite channel.

Hmm. Looks like I may have missed an NTV show somewhere along the way if Loss got it before I released the AJ 97 set.

What did I label the disc as Loss? It might help me find it.

Dan Ginnetty

It was labeled as Samurai TV 01/23/98, taped 11/23.

Okay... so starting in 1998 (which would cover the 1997 RWTL on forward), AJPW had current coverage via:

* NTV (AJPW 30)

* NTV satellite

* Sam TV

Along with the comms.

So Satellite ran through the Split, while Sammy continued running past the Split. AJPW 30 cut out right before the Split. Matches could appear on any one of the three, at times on 2 of them, along with comms.

And I thought my spreadsheet was confusing in the 80s with all the Classics and the original NTV. :)

John

Dan: might just want to set it aside for a Misc Set. There probably a few other shows from earlier sets that are missing and can be compiled into a short set. I haven't exhaustively looked at 1991-96 yet, but two shows from 1990 can be added: 05/27/90 (taped 5/17) and 10/21/90 (taped 10/10). Pretty sure that I have the K-Tapes of these.

There was a local TV show that had the first Misawa & Kobashi vs Williams & Ace title match in 7/94 that was massively edited on AJPW 30. I also recall another oddball 1995 TV special / local TV that had the full Kawada-Kobashi Carny draw along with Hansen-Akiyama.

I think there are a few things like that. Might end up being a short 5-6 disc set, but pulling them all together in one place might make it clean & easy for folks with all the sets to fill in the blanks with one set.

The Mega 1998 Set sounds like fun. :)

John

Dan: might just want to set it aside for a Misc Set. There probably a few other shows from earlier sets that are missing and can be compiled into a short set. I haven't exhaustively looked at 1991-96 yet, but two shows from 1990 can be added: 05/27/90 (taped 5/17) and 10/21/90 (taped 10/10). Pretty sure that I have the K-Tapes of these.

There was a local TV show that had the first Misawa & Kobashi vs Williams & Ace title match in 7/94 that was massively edited on AJPW 30. I also recall another oddball 1995 TV special / local TV that had the full Kawada-Kobashi Carny draw along with Hansen-Akiyama.

I think there are a few things like that. Might end up being a short 5-6 disc set, but pulling them all together in one place might make it clean & easy for folks with all the sets to fill in the blanks with one set.

The Mega 1998 Set sounds like fun. :)

John

I agree. Might make it easier to just release an "errata set" covering all the crap I missed over the years!

Dan Ginnetty

Pimping this

Kengo Kimura & Takashi Ishikawa vs Shoji Nakamaki & Takashi Okano vs Kendo Nagasaki & Satoru Shiga (Shadow WX) vs Yoshihiro Tajiri & Yuichi Taniguchi vs Jado & Gedo - BJPW 6/3/97

Holy fuck this was all kinds of wonderful. Just a totally crazy clusterfuck but in the absolute best possible sense of that term. This has all kind of good shit. You've got old man Kendo Nagasaki holding court with a chair and falling over dudes, coming across like a dangerously senile Verne Gagne type let lose onto the World for the final time. Tajiri doing Asai's into the fourth row, kicking out of the entire offensive playbook of Jado and Gedo, taking multiple lunatic bumps onto the floor and getting into a slap fight with Kimura. Powder throwing and guys in suits getting waffled with chairs. Nakamaki and Ishikawa bleeding and exchanging barbed wire shots. Fans almost getting trampled. Nakamaki taking a spike piledriver on the floor and actually sellling it. Ishikawa and Kimura being awesome as fuck all match, taking control during the final stanza, crushing Okano with all there brutal looking shit and then winning in a completely decisive fashion yet still looking like guys who had survived a brush with death. Absolutely great freakshow match.

Some USWA reccomendations through Febuary 16th 1997:

Debut of "Hollywood" Mike Samples. 1/18. Comes to the studio in a limo and has a phone interview with Taxi's Jeff Conway.

Steven Dunn/Flash Flannigan vs PG13 No DQ tag title match. 1/18. Title change and after the match PG13 injure Flash when Wolfie D does a flip over the top rope while Flash is on a chair.

Shaquile Ali (Tracy Smothers) vs Jerry Lawler 1/25. Low end nomination but a good match. The one they had in 98 on Power Pro tv is good too.

Feb 8th: Lance Russell's return and Jerry Lawler and him announce the departure from the promotion of Corey Maclin and Dave Brown. Good send off and I think it should be on the set just for historical sake.

King Regnald vs Kip Morris 2/8: The only Memphis appearance of Brian Pillman. He does commentary during this and just totally flusters Lance Russell. Also features Reggie B Fine's ridiculous fake Jerry Lawler gimmick.

PG 13 vs Lawler and Dundee 2/15. Sunny does commentary during the match with Lance.

Dean Malenko vs Norman Smiley 23-11-97 Worldwide

http://m.youtube.com/watch?p=2AB2CCC5456BF...p;v=8yoLJhnm-N0

I pimped this in the What Are You Watching thread, as it only takes up just under 8 minutes including intros I think this should go on to show a totally different style to what the rest of the promotion was doing at the time. Some tricked-out counters and slick mat wrestling by both men, one of the better TV matches I have seen from either.

All the IWA MS talk of late reminded me that they've been around since 1996. Haven't seen much from the early era but the 10/21/97 King of the Death Match tournament should be represented on the set since that was a pretty famous/influential show. For sure the Ian Rotten vs Axl Rotten Barbed Wire, Electric Light Bulb match in the finals and maybe the Doug Gilbert vs Mad Man Pondo barbed wire match from earlier in the show.

There's A LOT of stuff to whittle down on this set, so I thought I'd try crowdsourcing as much of the cuts as possible. Here is a preliminary list of everything for the first three months of WCW. If you have additions, please include them, but if there's anything you think is an easy cut, please say so. Thanks.

JANUARY

NWO + The Giant + Sting (WCW Monday Nitro 01/06/97)

Steven Regal vs Psicosis (WCW Saturday Night 01/11/97)

DDP + The Outsiders (WCW Monday Nitro 01/13/97)

Eddy Guerrero vs Dean Malenko (WCW Monday Nitro 01/13/97)

Wolfpac promo (WCW Monday Nitro 01/13/97)

Hulk Hogan vs The Giant (WCW Monday Nitro 01/13/97)

Steven Regal vs Psicosis (WCW Saturday Night 01/18/97)

Eddy Guerrero vs Syxx (WCW Saturday Night 01/18/97)

Randy Savage returns (WCW Monday Nitro 01/20/97) CHAVO/STING

Eric Bischoff promo (WCW Monday Nitro 01/20/97)

Hulk Hogan interview (WCW Monday Nitro 01/20/97)

Ultimo Dragon vs Dean Malenko (WCW Clash of the Champions XXXIV 01/21/97)

Chris Benoit vs Kevin Sullivan (WCW Clash of the Champions XXXIV 01/21/97, Falls Count Anywhere) (Finish only)

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall (WCW Clash of the Champions XXXIV 01/21/97) (Finish only)

Randy Anderson + NWO (WCW Monday Nitro 01/27/97)

Hulk Hogan interview (WCW Monday Nitro 01/27/97)

Hulk Hogan vs The Giant (WCW Monday Nitro 01/27/97) (Finish only)

FEBRUARY

Randy Anderson + NWO (WCW Monday Nitro 01/27/97)

Hulk Hogan interview (WCW Monday Nitro 01/27/97)

Hulk Hogan vs The Giant (WCW Monday Nitro 01/27/97) (Finish only)

DDP + Sting & Randy Savage (WCW Monday Nitro 02/10/97)

NWO + Randy Anderson (WCW Monday Nitro 02/10/97)

Hulk Hogan + Roddy Piper (WCW Monday Nitro 02/10/97)

Randy Anderson vs Nick Patrick (WCW Monday Nitro 02/17/97)

NWO + Steiners vignette (WCW Monday Nitro 02/17/97)

Eric Bischoff + Lex Luger & The Giant (WCW Monday Nitro 02/17/97)

Roddy Piper at Alcatraz (WCW Monday Nitro 02/17/97)

Hulk Hogan interview (WCW Monday Nitro 02/17/97)

Dean Malenko vs Syxx (WCW SuperBrawl VII 02/23/97) (Finish only)

Lex Luger & The Giant vs Scott Hall & Kevin Nash (WCW SuperBrawl VII 02/23/97) (Finish only)

Hulk Hogan vs Roddy Piper (WCW SuperBrawl VII 02/23/97) (Finish only)

Eddy Guerrero & Chris Jericho vs Faces of Fear (WCW Monday Nitro 02/24/97) LOTS OF RECOMMENDATIONS

Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera (WCW Monday Nitro 02/24/97)

Ultimo Dragon vs Dean Malenko (WCW Monday Nitro 02/24/97)

Diamond Dallas Page vs Dave Taylor (WCW Monday Nitro 02/24/97) (Finish only)

NWO interview (WCW Monday Nitro 02/24/97)

Lex Luger & The Giant vs Harlem Heat (WCW Monday Nitro 02/24/97)

MARCH

Eric Bischoff + Harvey Schiller (WCW Monday Nitro 03/03/97)

Roddy Piper tryouts (WCW Monday Nitro 03/03/97)

NWO interview (WCW Monday Nitro 03/03/97)

Roddy Piper + Four Horsemen (WCW Monday Nitro 03/10/97)

NWO interview (WCW Monday Nitro 03/10/97)

Eddy Guerrero vs Dean Malenko (WCW Uncensored 03/16/97, No DQ)

Diamond Dallas Page + Randy Savage (WCW Uncensored 03/16/97)

NWO interview (WCW Uncensored 03/16/97)

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Scott Hall & Kevin Nash vs Lex Luger, The Giant & Scott Steiner vs Roddy Piper, Chris Benoit, Steve McMichael & Jeff Jarrett (WCW Uncensored 03/16/97, Elimination match)

Hulk Hogan + Dennis Rodman (WCW Monday Nitro 03/17/97)

Randy Savage vs Prince Iaukea (WCW Monday Nitro 03/24/97) (Finish only)

Ric Flair + Roddy Piper (WCW Monday Nitro 03/31/97)

Randy Savage + Diamond Dallas Page (WCW Monday Nitro 03/31/97)

Kevin Nash and Syxx (WCW Monday Nitro 03/31/97)

Posting the first three months of WWF in a separate post.

WWF in Q1:

JANUARY

Bob Backlund and fans/Show opening (WWF Shotgun 01/04/97)

Brother Love & Sisters of Love interview (WWF Shotgun 01/04/97)

Owen Hart vs Mankind (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/06/97)

Sid + Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart vs Vader (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/06/97)

Fondle Me Elmo (WWF Shotgun 01/11/97)

Vince announces Goldust is pregnant (WWF Shotgun 01/11/97)

Bret Hart vs The Sultan (WWF Superstars 01/12/97) (Finish only)

Shawn Michaels House Party (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/13/97)

Davey Boy Smith vs Rocky Maivia (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/13/97) (Finish only)

Steve Austin + Terry Funk (WWF Shotgun 01/18/97)

Steve Austin vs Goldust (WWF Shotgun 01/18/97)

Royal Rumble (WWF Royal Rumble 01/19/97) (Finish only)

Shawn Michaels vs Sid (WWF Royal Rumble 01/19/97) (Finish only)

Bret Hart + Steve Austin (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/20/97)

Gorilla Monsoon + Steve Austin + Bret Hart (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/20/97)

Steve Austin vs Undertaker (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/20/97)

Bret Hart vs Mankind (WWF Shotgun 01/25/97)

Shawn Michaels + Bret Hart + Undertaker + Steve Austin (WWF Monday Night RAW 01/27/97)

FEBRUARY

Steve Austin vs Vader (WWF RAW 02/03/97)

Shawn Michaels + Bret Hart + Steve Austin + Sid (WWF RAW 02/03/97)

Undertaker vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley (WWF Shotgun 02/08/97)

Steve Austin vs Vader (WWF Superstars 02/09/97)

Rocky Maivia vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley (WWF Thursday RAW Thursday 02/13/97) (Finish only)

Shawn Michaels loses his smile (WWF Thursday RAW Thursday 02/13/97)

Steve Austin vs Sid (WWF Thursday RAW Thursday 02/13/97) (Finish only)

Bret Hart vs Undertaker vs Vader vs Steve Austin (WWF Final Four 02/16/97)

Hunter Hearst Helmsley & That Huge Amazon + Goldust & Marlena (WWF RAW 02/17/97)

Jerry Lawler + Paul Heyman (WWF RAW 02/17/97) DURING OWEN HART VS FLASH FUNK, BY PHONE

Bret Hart vs Sid (WWF RAW 02/17/97)

Steven Regal vs Prince Iaukea (WWF RAW 02/17/97) (Finish only)

Davey Boy Smith vs Crush (WWF Shotgun 02/22/97) (Finish only) DBS FIRES CORNETTE

Stevie Richards vs Little Guido (WWF RAW 02/24/97)

Taz vs Mikey Whipwreck (WWF RAW 02/24/97)

Legion of Doom vs Headbangers (WWF RAW 02/24/97)

Shawn Michaels music video (WWF RAW 02/24/97)

Tommy Dreamer vs D-Von Dudley (WWF RAW 02/24/97)

MARCH

Mankind promo (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/03/97) IN GERMAN

Steve Austin interview (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/03/97)

Owen Hart vs Davey Boy Smith (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/03/97)

New opening (WWF RAW 03/10/97)

Ken Shamrock + Steve Austin + Bret Hart (WWF RAW 03/10/97)

Jerry Lawler + Paul E. Dangerously (WWF RAW 03/10/97)

Mini Goldust & Mascarita Sagrada Jr. vs Mini Vader & Mini Mankind (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/17/97)

Bret Hart interview (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/17/97)

Shawn Michaels interview (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/17/97)

Bret Hart vs Sid (WWF Monday Night RAW 03/17/97, Cage match)

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin (WWF Wrestlemania XIII 03/23/97, I Quit match)

Legion of Doom & Ahmed Johnson vs Faarooq, Savio Vega & Crush (WWF Wrestlemania XIII 03/23/97, Street Fight)

Undertaker vs Sid (WWF Wrestlemania XIII 03/23/97) BRET AT BEGINNING AND FINISH ONLY

Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith vs Headbangers (WWF RAW 03/24/97) (Finish only)

Bret Hart + Shawn Michaels (WWF RAW 03/24/97)

Rocky Maivia vs Leif Cassidy (WWF RAW 03/24/97) (Finish only)

Owen Hart vs Davey Boy Smith (WWF RAW 03/31/97)

Undertaker + Mankind (WWF RAW 03/31/97) FIREBALL - EDIT THE PROMO WHERE NEEDED

Steve Austin interview (WWF RAW 03/31/97)

Bret Hart vs Rocky Maivia (WWF RAW 03/31/97)

Oh geez, the infamous "bait & switch" match. I remember this kinda sucking, I wouldn't say cut it because of the circumstances surrounding it but I wouldn't put it in the essential pile either. If this does make it on, you guys gotta include some clips of Robin Hood for full effect or maybe spread it out across the set, you know, have part 1 on disc 1, part 2 on disc 17, really capture the moment.

Roddy Piper tryouts (WCW Monday Nitro 03/03/97)

Always loved this segment, especially the crazy brawl at the end. So so disapointed when they cut those guys out of the war games match.

For WWF are you counting the Rumble show seperatly? Not that I really think anything is particularly yearbook worthy on that show, just wondering if that's the reason nothing from it was included or not.

Steven Regal vs Prince Iaukea (WWF RAW 02/17/97) (Finish only)

?????? :)

Oh geez, the infamous "bait & switch" match. I remember this kinda sucking, I wouldn't say cut it because of the circumstances surrounding it but I wouldn't put it in the essential pile either. If this does make it on, you guys gotta include some clips of Robin Hood for full effect or maybe spread it out across the set, you know, have part 1 on disc 1, part 2 on disc 17, really capture the moment.

That's actually a hilarious idea. I'm not sure if anyone actually recorded the match past Nitro going off the air though. I hope someone did.

For WWF are you counting the Rumble show seperatly? Not that I really think anything is particularly yearbook worthy on that show, just wondering if that's the reason nothing from it was included or not.

I skipped that accidentally, but we have the finish to both Shawn/Sid and the Rumble from that show.

Steven Regal vs Prince Iaukea (WWF RAW 02/17/97)

:)

That's actually a hilarious idea. I'm not sure if anyone actually recorded the match past Nitro going off the air though. I hope someone did.

Well, plenty of ppl have the whole thing spliced together but taken in full it's just 6 mins of below average wrestling with a shitty screw job finish. The fact that we had to wait a freakin hour to see a combined 6 mins of below average wrestling, broken up into 3 or 4 chunks shown during the commercials of a mediocre Robin Hood tv remake is what makes it special.